Thread: Storm balls 12-13 and 14-16 difference in cores?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 116

Default Storm balls 12-13 and 14-16 difference in cores?

I currently bowl with a 12lb ball. I currently have a 159 average with a 193 high game.

I am looking to buy a reactive and a plastic ball. My concern is that I can not go any higher in weight than a 12 and when shopping at the Storm website I see that the balls have 2 different cores depending on the weight.

Is there a true difference in weight categories? Would I be wasting my money on a 12lb Frantic or Hy-Road compared to a 14 lb?

Blog Entries

In addition I currently am using a Columbia 300 U-dot 12# on a medium-heavy lane surface. Standard pattern.

Chats: 4

Yes there is some difference between a 12# core and a 16# core
    on some ball manufactures like Storm and others but some of the
    other manufactures like I believe DV8 uses the same cores in the
    light weight balls as the heavy balls have.

It really all depends on if you want to get your average higher or
    if you want to stay about the same average and not interested in
    bowling a lot of money tournaments whither you're wasting your
    money or not on a lighter ball.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Blog Entries

I want to increase my average and get more consistent strikes.

I guess it would be worth the time.and money to hire a coach

Chats: 723

Quote Originally Posted by unclemantis View Post
    I want to increase my average and get more consistent strikes.

I guess it would be worth the time.and money to hire a coach
    having a lesson with a coach is never a bad idea, when looking at strikability there are a few things to look at:

Entry angle: the ideal angle for the ball to hit the pocket is 6 degree's, this is the reason you should hook the ball, to get a 6 degree entry angle throwing a straight ball would require you to stand 2 lanes over.

Deflection: Deflection is the problem you will face with a lower weight ball, say you take a 6 lb bowling ball and hit the pocket at the perfect angle, you will get a strike right? not necessarily, when you get a strike the pins should do something like this:

The ball (green line) should drive through the pins hitting the 1,3,5, and 9 pins, when you have a very light ball the ball will hit the 1 and 3 then deflect to the right missing the others.

Back before all the new technology of today ball weight was a lot more important and most everyone that wanted to do well had a 16 lb ball, since then entry angle has become the more important factor, but ball weight is still important, given you are trying to knock down 10 3.5lb bowling pins you will need a fair amount of force behind the ball to efficiently do this.

I would say if you can that 14lb should be an "ideal minimum" that being said, on skill alone a great bowler can average over 200 with a lighter ball, its simply that they are at a disadvantage.

All of that being said, the most important part of the game is being consistent, if you can throw every shot without varying rev rate, speed, launch angle and entry at all you will do very well in this sport regardless of your equipment.

second point:

Most company's switch to a generic core below 14lb's there are some exceptions (someone else chip in please) the generic core will alter the reaction of the ball from the normal, but they still work.
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Storm balls in the Hot-Master line 12-13 pound range use the modified Centripetal core, The premier line uses a modified core that is the same shape as the 14-16 pound ones. The tropical line uses a modified core for the 12-13 pound balls that is the same shape as the 14-16 pound ones. The also make the Tropical line in 10 and 11 pounds with the modified core.

For example the !Q: 15lbs 2.48 RG, .050 Diff. 13 lbs 2.59 RG, .045 Diff.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.
    In the bag: Storm IQ, Storm Lucid,Storm Frantic,Brunswick T-Zone .
    High Game: 299 High Series: 725

Chats: 221

For the longest time Storm used the same core down to 12 pounds just varying the densities in the core and filler materials to reach the desired weight. As core have gotten bigger and heavier they have been forced to use different but still dynamic cores in lighter pieces, There is a large difference in ball reaction between a dynamic core and a pancake core so it is worth the cost difference to get a ball with a dynamic core
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    ... it is worth the cost difference to get a ball with a dynamic core
    So either way.... I should be sure I don't get a pancake core and get a dynamic core, regardless of weight?

BTW I have some videos I took of earlier tonight. I will edit and post the BEST ones so you can all get an idea of my form and release.

Thanks again everyone!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Absolutely correct, get a dynamic core. Also, don't be afraid to e-mail the manufacturers to ensure that the ball you're interested in really does have a dynamic core.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com