Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: buying bowling balls

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

as for buying online or in a proshop.... Its really up to your proshops price and you opinion. The proshops will usually have the ball in stock with the pin, top weight and weight that are good for all around drilling... But on your bigger online store you can request all of this and Ill use bowling.com as an example (because that where i get all my equipment).. I requested a certain pin and top weight for a ball that i was going to be drilling negative for the drier lanes.. Well they had the pin i requested but not the top weight. They picked up the phone and called me to let me know that info and gave me the TW they had with the pin i requested. then asked me which I would perfer. If you can get a site that will do that for you then they will have my business. Then when it comes to drilling, alot of times atleast here if you continue to give the proshop business with bringing balls to drill they will start to work with you on prices. I always buy online and take it to my driller. The proshop price is $50 to drill + $10 for inserts.... I pay $40 drilled with inserts.. So just talk to them and sometimes they will work with you.
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

Chats: 0

I prefer to buy from the pro shop, just due to the fact of a faster turn around should something happen to the ball warranty wise...

My local pro-shop is really good, he is fast, and fair with the pricing. I picked up a used ball from a friend, and drilling and inserts cost me a wopping $20.00...can't beat that!
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

I agree that your local Pro Shop is the way to go. Sure, you can save a few bucks on line, but if you buy from the pro shop, he can watch you roll a game and then recommend the ball that would work best for your style of bowling

He is always there to answers questions and help fine tune your game, at least my guy is. So I believe that over all, you get the most bang for your buck by supporting your local shop.
    Talk To Your Ball, Listen To The Lane!

RH, HG 299, HS 714

In The Bag
    Energy - Gravity - Bite - Maxim

I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

I agree, it depends on the ball. I look for balls online that are on a special price. Pro shops usually charge $60-70 for drilling with thumb and finger inserts, so if the ball is discounted you probably will save a few bucks. The last ball I bought was through the pro shop. I told him of the price online, and he came as close as he could to matching. The total cost was about $10 more overall, but I had the ball right away.
    INFO:Avg. N/A Righty,Stroker,Equipment Roto Grip,Brunswick,Ebonite 15lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ebowler View Post
    He is always there to answers questions and help fine tune your game, at least my guy is. So I believe that over all, you get the most bang for your buck by supporting your local shop.
    I couldn't agree more! The owner of the local pro shop in my area has taken all of my equipment at one point or another and "tweaked" it to get it to work just right for my style. He typically won't take money for it either citing a need for his product to perform based on the initial payment. If I decide to change the initial layout of the ball, then I'll get charged but if it just tweaking...he refuses all payment.

cheers!
    MH
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

SandBagger
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 52

I may be slightly unique in that I've only purchased maybe 5 NIB balls, but have close to 40 in my collection. So in that case, my ball driller gets plenty of practice on the plug and redrill -- and it's $35/ball for me here. He's watched me bowl, and when I bring in a ball (I'm a Lane Masters/Legends junkie), he checks it out to see the shape it's in, and then we talk about the drilling and the surface prep based on what I want the ball to do. He's also honest enough to say that he can't get those balls in a timely manner thru his distributer - so as long as I bring him the ball, New or Used, I know I'll get a quality service.

Chats: 2315

I've only ordered one ball online, an Avalanche, from Buddies. They have free shipping. I think whether it's worth it to buy online depends on how much money you'd save and if the store you got the ball from will take care of any warranty problems for you. But even if they do, you've gotta pay for drilling again so that's a risk you take as well.

I guarantee my work to fit and do not charge for alterations until it fits right. My goal is to fit you right the first time. I do not drill conventional grips and each thumb is precision contoured to the precise "feel" that the individual prefers. In order to do that it requires customer service the old fashioned way - I talk with my customers and listen to what they say.

I can also punch 3 holes in a ball and ship it to you and match any internet price if you send me your specs and let you worry about final fit. (Most people need to go to the pro shop for this)

Which makes more sense. A lasting relationship with a craftsman that will increase your enjoyment of a sport you enjoy or saving $20

I will supply my loyal, repeat customers with span dimensions if they choose to get a ball online instead of through me but the ball will be drilled as a blank and they bring it to me to have the correct pitches and custom thumbs put in. $36 for complete pitch adjustment - $56 for undrilled ball.

Always the customers decision what to do.
    Bowling is fun - Winning just adds to the enjoyment

Mark P. Gutkowski
    USBC Silver Coach
    IBPSIA Certified
    playbowlpro.com

I am also thinking about it I am confused where I go for it online or some where else. Often I go to shop and pick what I want. Which one was the best option?
    Last edited by mike121; 06-30-2009 at 06:20 AM.

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Especially for someone new, work with your local pro shop. They are an invaluable resource.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12