Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite Storm Bowling Ball?

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Question What is your favorite Storm Bowling Ball?

I have had some X factor balls and I liked them a lot. But what about you? Any favorite Storm Bowling balls that you like?
    Go Broncos!

Historically for me, the Trauma Response was my first big series ball...currently, I can't put down my Second Dimension, it has matched up on every pattern for me except Cheetah and that is mostly because the layout is too strong for it..
    Justin Buford
    Storm Amateur Staff
    Cliff Barnes Pro Shop- Strike Zone Brunswick, GA
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcat300

Chats: 3

When came back to bowling on a league a little over a year ago, I still had all of my equipment from high school. I updated my equipment with a storm T-road solid. It's been a great ball for me, and my average is up 8 pins from last year. Now that I'm looking at joining a league in a house with synthetic lanes, I'm looking into buying a storm gravity shift, since I need a more aggressive ball for heavy oil conditions.

not to mention, it's great being able to walk up to your teammates and ask them to sniff your balls. lol
    I'm loyal to storm products.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

2 years ago when our house switched from Wood to Synthetic and stereotyped a cranker, I was using a Storm Tropical Storm, pinned over ring finger almost 1 inch. I never scuffed it until I got a second one with Pinned at 2 o'clock.

I rolled my biggest series of 802 and 790 (both series without a 300). I did have a 777 with a 300 at a different house that was wood but of course this was not sanctioned.

That week of the 790 (which was on Wednesday), I shot a 743 on Monday, a 693 on Thursday and ended the week with a whopping 459 - with the same ball. We did shoot on 1 and 2 Friday night and there was no oil. Machine was broke, but didn't realize it was until after done conditioning. All it did was clean the back ends.

Well, me not knowing that, went to my coach that night, and said it's time to change my approach with my style. That's when I started learning the stroker style. But before he would teach me, he said get rid of all the equipment I was using and go get some solids. Then I'll teach ya.

...and the saga started.... I still have my Storm and I do take it with me, but haven't had a chance to pull it out and try it since changing. I did give my wife one of them and she got redrilled.
    Last edited by Iceman; 02-05-2009 at 03:33 PM.
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

i hate to change the subject....but what does "stroker style" mean?
    I've never heard that term before.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733

Quote Originally Posted by Jord_84 View Post
    i hate to change the subject....but what does "stroker style" mean?
    I've never heard that term before.
    Ahem, speaking simply - old school style. Not standing left, chicken winging out to 10 and jumping out of your shoes. My own personal definition of a cranker.

It's more of a controlled release with less hand, less revs and more than not speed dominant. More pressure on fingers to roll off - also more direct at pocket.

Here's a short explanation of each style:

The Stroker

This is the old classic style of hook bowler sometimes referred to as old school. The Stroker's sliding foot stops just before the ball gets to the bottom of the swing, creating moderate leverage for a good, controllable ball reaction.
    The shoulders are very square at the point of release. The Stroker generally plays straighter up the outside of the lane allowing the ball to gently hook up into the pocket. Generally around 300 RPM's I would say.

The Cranker

The Cranker gets maximum revolutions on the ball, producing more power than any other type of bowler.
    Generally the Cranker will stand with their feet to the left hand side of the approach, and swing their ball out to the edge of the lane.
    In order to create this, the Cranker uses "late" timing (getting to the foul line before the ball). They plant their foot and pull their arm through, bending the elbow to keep the hand behind and under the ball and leaving the shoulders open for maximum leverage.
    (This is where I had difficulty)
    A Cranker is prone to injury due to the amount of "muscle" they put into each shot. Generally 500 RPM's with this release.

The Spinner/Helicopter

This style of bowling is not seen very often, but is very popular in Asia. It was developed in Taiwan to combat brutally hard lane conditions.
    Spinners use lightweight balls (usually 10-12lb). The technique is one that leaves people asking the question "How?". The bowler deliberately brings the fingers all the way round the top of the ball, as opposed to the hook bowler who brings the fingers round the side.
    The ball travels straight down the lane (regardless of the oiling pattern) but is rotating in a similar way to helicopter blades, hence the name "helicopter bowling.
    On impact with the pins, this technique mixes the pins like no other style of bowling. Very effective if you can master it.

------------------------------------
    Here's a close up clear view short video of my goal release - I have this video embedded into my head, but still struggle with reproducing from my own hand..... http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...n/vStroker.htm
    ------------------------------------
    Last edited by Iceman; 02-05-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Chats: 0

I loved my El Nino. It was my go to ball until the center went from wood to synthetics. During the transition, the ball got beat up so bad that the logo was no longer visible and the ball no longer legal . I still have the ball.
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Lefty - ball speed as measured by Qubica 15 - 16 mph
    High Game: 278 High Series: 716 High Ave: 194
    Current Highs: Ave 165 , Game 268, Series 597
    Current Equipment in use:
    Brunswick - Fury Pearl; Ebonite - GameBreaker, WhirlWind;
    Columbia - Blue Dot
    Other Equipment used sometimes:
    Brunswick - Smokin' Inferno; Ebonite - Bash, Total NV; Hammer - Black Widow; Lane#1 - Viper

I used to be a stroker but I guess I've converted to a cranker.
    who knew
    High Game-279
    High Series-733

Quote Originally Posted by Jord_84 View Post
    I used to be a stroker but I guess I've converted to a cranker.
    who knew

Forgot something - Tweener -
    A player that has more accuracy and less power than a cranker, with more power than a stroker.

Oh and lady crankers, I love to watch them. They tend to do more with their subtle forms compared to us men, it would be the only reason to give style points . I'm serious here, they have a unique way of releasing and getting the extra revs in it. Watch the Korean women, even though they are helicopter style, they don't look like they do much with the ball, but watching the result is something else.

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Quote Originally Posted by JBuford300 View Post
    Historically for me, the Trauma Response was my first big series ball...currently, I can't put down my Second Dimension, it has matched up on every pattern for me except Cheetah and that is mostly because the layout is too strong for it..

Wow so the Second Dimension is the real deal then.
    Go Broncos!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast