Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing deep all the sudden

Chats: 1

Default Playing deep all the sudden

While I had a very good night for me last night, pulling off a 678 night with my 185 average, it could have been much better had I realized how my shot had changed sooner. I find it weird that going from game 1 to 2, playing the same line, hitting the same mark, and throwing the ball the same speed, that in the second game on the same lane I all the sudden I kept coming in too deep. It's my understanding that ceteris paribus over time I would end hitting the pocket too shallow leaning toward coming in high or even the left side of the head pin. Can someone give me some insight?
    Rolling: Storm Snap Lock, Track Kinetic Emerald, Columbia 300 Freeze, and Pyramid Path Spare

I usually give two bad pocket hits before I'm trying to make a move. Usually on light hits actually depending on how I threw the ball I may try it one more time to chalk it up to a bad throw. If I'm throwing my Code Red and I go through the nose I'll immediately try a 2 board move and depending on how bad I will move 3. It seems to me that the changes happen pretty suddenly especially if you're bowling with somebody else. I sometimes practice with my PSO and he is a rev monster and I will throw one shot and bury the pocket and next shot behind him will go straight threw the nose.

If by coming in too deep you mean getting a light pocket hit, that means the ball was likely burning up too much energy trying to get down the lane and didnt have enough left on the backend. I noticed that with my Tyrant (strong solid) before I changed the surface from 500/2000 (OOB) that as the right side burnt up I would actually have trouble making it back to the pocket and would actually have to move RIGHT later in the block. People looked at me like I was crazy when I say I had to move right instead of left but I noticed while bowling with my Tyrant that often I would have to. Now it's sitting at 500 grit only and if there isn't enough oil out for it, it will grab like 20 feet down the lane lol.

With my Code Red it's the opposite, when the track starts to burn I have to move left or it goes through the nose.

Usually for me I notice this change occur pretty suddenly while I'm practicing and it's worse when other players are on the lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    If by coming in too deep you mean getting a light pocket hit, that means the ball was likely burning up too much energy trying to get down the lane and didnt have enough left on the backend.
    By coming in deep i mean its a strong hook but it entered the pocket 2-3" further past the head pin as prior balls. Which led to me leaving three 4 pins in a row on that lane.
    Rolling: Storm Snap Lock, Track Kinetic Emerald, Columbia 300 Freeze, and Pyramid Path Spare

Quote Originally Posted by drlawsoniii View Post
    By coming in deep i mean its a strong hook but it entered the pocket 2-3" further past the head pin as prior balls. Which led to me leaving three 4 pins in a row on that lane.
    Oh ok got ya, I thought that is what you meant but when I read further down I guess I just confused myself lol, sorry for the mix up.

Sounds like you could fix your problem with a quick move with your feet. Pretty much the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago when I was practicing with my PSO and I made a 3 board move with my feet and was back to burying the pocket and getting strikes.... Like I said, for me I noticed these changes happen pretty quickly so you need to be paying attention for it to happen or you are going to be facing either splits or 9/ multiple frames in a row... Sounds like you are coming in a touch high which leads to the head pin kicking the 2 pin straight out into the channel instead of it taking out the 4 like it's supposed to.
    Last edited by C J; 08-11-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I find it weird that going from game 1 to 2, playing the same line, hitting the same mark, and throwing the ball the same speed, that in the second game on the same lane I all the sudden I kept coming in too deep.
    You hit the transition, which is what you have to try and stay ahead of by watching how your ball and the pins react.

If your leaving 4 pins, Typically that means the ball is coming in too heavy. You had been playing the same line for a while (and most likely others have too) the line is probably breaking down, drying up. You most likely needed to move in (about maybe a 3/2 move, 3 with the feet and 2 with your mark) and open up the angles in the front part of the lane, this would have moved you into the oil and give you some miss room to the right.

FYI: For those that don't know "ceteris paribus" means "All things being equal"

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post

FYI: For those that don't know "ceteris paribus" means "All things being equal"
    Lol, yes. I had to google that one.

What seemed to work was taking a small step back about 3" I wasnt coming in high, just a hair behind the head pin. The only time's I typically have to do that is if i'm getting too much skid and it rolls out too late. I just never imagined i'd have to do that after burning out my line. Typically I have to make a lateral move most often to the left after my line dries.
    Last edited by drlawsoniii; 08-11-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Chats: 32

For me a 4 pin is automatic 2-1 move unless it was just a bad throw. Worst case scenario with the 2-1 move is a light pocket hit which you may still carry, stay in the same spot you risk a 4-9, or going through the nose. it's not a hard choice in my opinion
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 32

What seemed to work was taking a small step back about 3" I wasnt coming in high, just a hair behind the head pin. The only time's I typically have to do that is if i'm getting too much skid and it rolls out too late. I just never imagined i'd have to do that after burning out my line. Typically I have to make a lateral move most often to the left after my line dries.
    Moving back may have helped by increasing your ball speed slightly (if that's the case it will be short lived) or it could be changing the angle for your line just enough for it to catch a little more oil. I've never been a huge fan of vertical adjustments as they seem to work different for different people and if too large can mess with your timing (not an issue with 3')
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    For me a 4 pin is automatic 2-1 move unless it was just a bad throw. Worst case scenario with the 2-1 move is a light pocket hit which you may still carry, stay in the same spot you risk a 4-9, or going through the nose. it's not a hard choice in my opinion
    What is the ratio equate 2 is it two boards left with the feet one board right with your target?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast