Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Song Ever???

Chats: 19

Default Best Song Ever???

If we're going to have a worst song thread, we also have to have a best song thread!!!

For me, it's simple. 48 minutes of great song NEVER gets old. I am 25 years old. One of my favorite bands is Jethro Tull. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Of course, I can't post all 48 minutes, but here's a taste:

The GREATNESS that is Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (highly edited from 48 minutes of greatness, down to a 9 minute concert version. Truth be told, even THIS version is a shortened version of their shortened version, but I can't find part 2 to the video....) By the way, there are no time errors in the song. People always seem to think they get off beat, or there are time signature errors, but in all honesty, it's all written. Ian Anderson is a BRILLIANT and underrated musician. One of the all time greats, IMHO.

I'm going to have about a million posts in this thread, I can tell you that right now. I just thought I'd start with my all time favorite, and then let ya'll have your chance.
    Last edited by ArtVandelay; 11-26-2008 at 01:13 AM.
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Any song from PBA Star Randy Pederson
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Long form tunes, that's not bad, Kev. Are we limited to a "modern" era? If so "In A Gadda Da Vida" is a decent long form selection. Best long form, though, I might have to go with "Rhapsody in Blue" from Gershwin.

Quote Originally Posted by kev3inp View Post
    Long form tunes, that's not bad, Kev. Are we limited to a "modern" era? If so "In A Gadda Da Vida" is a decent long form selection. Best long form, though, I might have to go with "Rhapsody in Blue" from Gershwin.
    It can be anything. Time era, length, you name it. Doesn't matter. Just a place for people to post their favorite songs so people can agree, and/or disagree. I'm a music lover. All kinds. I wanted to hear what others listen to as well.

Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)

Here are two more of my all time favorites!!! I LOVE The Boss!!!

Thunder Road

Jungleland GREAT live version. The Iron Fisted Arena Rock Poet knows how to do it!!!

Super Moderator

I listen to almost everything, though I'm not much into country or rap. I like odd music like Bravo Combo or Gogol Bordello, but also mainstream stuff like The Beatles or Steely Dan. The Grey's Anatomy 3 cd set is pretty good for eclectic selections. One of these days I'll start converting my albums into a digital format, but I've been lazy. We've got a lot of cd's too.

I listen to almost everything, though I'm not much into country or rap. I like odd music like Bravo Combo or Gogol Bordello, but also mainstream stuff like The Beatles or Steely Dan. The Grey's Anatomy 3 cd set is pretty good for eclectic selections. One of these days I'll start converting my albums into a digital format, but I've been lazy. We've got a lot of cd's too.
    I just saw Steely Dan when they came through Dallas (played at Grand Prairie). Won front row tickets from a radio station off of naming this song just off the first 3 seconds of sound. They're one of my absolute all time favorites, no question. I'm not too familiar with the Two Against Nature Album, but I have just about every other song they ever wrote memorized, including most from Everything Must Go. Such greatness!!!

What's my favorite Steely Dan Song? Larry Carollton is SUCH GREATNESS!!! This has to be one of the best fitting guitar solo's of all time.

Of COURSE, Aja has to be in there... Keith Carlock is the drummer they've had the last few times I've seen them. He's an absolute bad ***, incredible musician. Aja always seems to bring out the best in him. He's the drummer in this video as well. I think he's pretty much their guy from now on.... WOW!!! Just amazing, he's so rudimentally sound. I played for 9 years, I don't claim to be an expert, but trust me when I say, that guy's amazing!!!

Doctor Wu is VERY underrated, IMHO. I especially love the tenor work after the first verse and chorus. The ride cymbal is very subtle, but really compliments the sax. Extremely well done!!! The only thing that drives me nuts is the sax cracks the very first note in that solo, it's very subtle, but if you listen for it, it's there. Steely Dan were the masters of the studio, that's not like them.

BTW, while they're a GREAT studio band, they excel in concert. Just amazing. They get their roots from jazz, though, and all good jazz musicians are better live than in studio.
    Last edited by ArtVandelay; 11-29-2008 at 05:25 PM.

Super Moderator

As a "Dan Fan" you've got to check out "Reelin' In the Years" by Brian Sweet. Excellent book about the band and their recordings. I've got a cassette of demos and such from them I found in the bargain bin at K Mart years ago. It's called Sun Mountain. It's got demos of Berry Town, Any World, Caves of Altamira and Parker's Band as well as a bunch of other tunes no one's ever heard of before.

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

I like country asI was a country radio dj for a year or so in Oklahoma. Yet it is depressing for a lot of people.

It slike they say when you play a country song backwords you get your wife back, dog back, you stop drinking and more
    Go Broncos!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The KingPin View Post
    I like country asI was a country radio dj for a year or so in Oklahoma. Yet it is depressing for a lot of people.

It slike they say when you play a country song backwords you get your wife back, dog back, you stop drinking and more
    I just happen to prefer, shall we say, urban(?) accents. Something that sounds more like the newscasters, and pronounces beer as the single syllable word it is. I do have a Lyle Lovett and a k d Lang cd, though. I like country type songs but not by country artists. "The Girl With Far Away Eyes" by the Stones, for example. Some Dan Hicks is pretty cool, too, he's kind of borderline.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast