Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowling thumb

Exclamation Bowling thumb

We have switched to a new pro shop this year. The driller suggested a tighter thumb hole with 1/16 reverse pitch. Since then, my daughter has noticed a half-inch brown discoloration on the tip of the inside of her thumb. I have been trying to research if this is due to the reverse pitch, or if it's due to the snugness of the hole. The other kids from that pro shop have the same "burn mark" and they believe it's normal and nothing to worry about.

1. Is this normal?
    2. What is this exactly? How is it caused, how can it be fixed?
    3. What are the potential long-term effects, i.e. possible nerve damage?
    4. Should this be changed?

I would truly appreciate any help and insight you can provide. Thanks!

Chats: 0

This is an indication that too little reverse is in the thumb or a span that is too long.It can also be
    a sign that she is picking the ball up out of the swing at the bottom,or in other words,she is hitting up
    on the ball at the point of release.This is not normal and should not be happening,have the pro should
    check again or go to another pro shop.The normal wear spots is on the outside of the thumb at the
    knuckle ,and some wear in the web.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Take a look here on the Jayhawk page. It shows pictures of what the different wear spots indicate.

Click here Fitting_Tips

Example-

* A - Span Too Short
    * A - Excessive Reverse Pitch
    * B - Excessive Left Pitch
    * B - Hole Too Small

And Motiv Girl if your getting wear spots on thumb knuckle or web I'd have those checked. You shouldn't have a wear spot anywhere.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Wear spots are too familiar for me. I've had them all - I went to different pro shop last year, and of course, even after they watched me bowl - he shortened my span, took the reverse pitch out and told me to stick with it a few months even after I went back and showed him the spots on my thumb and at the base. Shorter spans are the new thing now. I since went back to my old driller, he was at USBC nationals last year when I was ready to buy - so I learned a lesson and I have zero wear on my fingers or thumbs (since working out the thumb pitch 1/8 reverse and 1/8 left. I do have a slight raised thumb nuckle from my younger years of ripping the coverstock off, but I just wear the thumb tape and it's decreased dramatically - which causes me to reach in and add tape (which I don't mind). I can make it smaller while at the house, just not bigger easily
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 1127

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Wear spots are too familiar for me. I've had them all - I went to different pro shop last year, and of course, even after they watched me bowl - he shortened my span, took the reverse pitch out and told me to stick with it a few months even after I went back and showed him the spots on my thumb and at the base. Shorter spans are the new thing now.
    I've read in several different posts about "short spans". I don't get it... Takes away your leverage and makes it tougher to get a decent grip on the ball. Can you educate me a little?
    WORK HARD
    ROCK HARD
    EAT HARD
    SLEEP HARD
    GROW BIG
    WEAR GLASSES IF YOU NEED 'EM

the WEBB WILDER credo

Chats: 0

I did not say burn or blusters on thumb knuckle,just normal callusing or hardening from continuous
    reps.Now if you think I'm talking about burn marks,I am not.That is totally different from from small
    hardening on outside of thumb.This is from Jayhawk also.

Normal Callus:
    {An average bowler will form a callus - a hard, thickened area on the skin - wherever the fingers and thumb have contact with the ball. It is formed because of the weight bearing of the ball on certain parts of the hand. This may be good for a bowler.)

Pathological Callus:
    Excess pressure, an ill-fitting ball, and improper use of a properly fitted ball may cause what is known as a pathological callus. This is one to worry about because it is painful and greatly hinders a bowler. The pathological callus is a hard mass of skin surrounded by an inflamed rim and it may have a deep central core like a corn. These areas do not stretch when the thumb or finger are flexed. The result is a burning sensation.

I do not have any problems with my fit,never have and never will.May driller is a family member.
    Last edited by Motiv Girl; 10-13-2009 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling change

This is really helpful, but I'm still confused... Please keep discussing!

Neither A nor B in the picture shown in this thread is where the burn mark is. In that picture, the mark is located on the upper side of the thumb, a little bit on the far side where we can't see it.

Is it the pitch? Is it the span? Is it the thumb hole being too snug?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by bowling mom View Post
    This is really helpful, but I'm still confused... Please keep discussing!

Neither A nor B in the picture shown in this thread is where the burn mark is. In that picture, the mark is located on the upper side of the thumb, a little bit on the far side where we can't see it.

Is it the pitch? Is it the span? Is it the thumb hole being too snug?

Click this link to see the other examples of fitting problems

to find the one that matches or is closest to what you see on the thumb.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

You see, this injury isn't one of the ones listed there. That's why I'm so confused! Should we fix the span or the pitch or the hole size? What *is* this injury anyway? It has to be somewhat common enough for other people to have had it.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

a picture may be useful
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast