Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: How THS has ruined bowling, and why we should all quit and play Bocce ball instead !

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Actual picture I took with my camera on the Roswell lanes last year! (this picture was taken of a couple friends of mine bowling the standard, human side of the lanes, not the interdimensional ones!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 06-16-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 204

Default It's ON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksox1 View Post
    That is a great offer Aslan. Who could turn it down?
    Isn't it?? It's win/win!!

All he's gotta do is cash...that's a top 1/3 of the field finish...and it'll cost him nothing AND he takes home the purse!!

And what if Iceman DOES win...or finish high up in the cashing? Sponsorships anyone?? Can you imagine Iceman sponsored by Hammer? A former hammer wielding iron-worker...now sponsored by Hammer?? It's storybook!!

And with 3 PBA50 events (Omaha, Dubuque, Omaha) coming to the area!! A PBA regional win...and Iceman would easily have the confidence and ego (and automatic PBA eligibility) to enter those events. Can you imagine Ice vs Bob Learn Jr or Sammy Vincent....the battle of musclemen!?

I call dibs on rights to this story!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    I looked your proposal over in regards to the PBA thing! Depending on how the Big 22 turns out, I might take you up on that offer....

If I win, or place in the top 5 of this tournament, which includes all the AMF’s qualifiers, then I will take you up on your officer. The best part will be YOU IN THE stands coaching, and helping me win that damn PBA thing!
    If you dare...I may actually have to make that trip.

AND YES....I would be rooting for Iceman even though it'll cost me $285. I think ALL of bowlingboards.com will be rooting for Iceman...regardless of the eventual ego inflation that could occur...which will leave Iceman's head resembling one of those Thanksgiving Day Parade balloons. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    I also want you to make the trip to Plattsburg before that sacred wooden 6 lane alley closes! I still think it would be a great business opportunity for YOU and ICEMAN to take over the rent, 300.00 a month and run the lanes. Lee, and his Co-buddy, asks me if I would be interested. But it’s a lot of work keeping everything in working order, etc. Not sure I would want to move closer to be there the amount of time needed. I do know it’s a money maker, and could be even more, if Iceman, Rob, and you Aslan ran the joint!
    Listen Ice...I'd love to do it. Owning a bowling alley with you would be great...but Plattsburgh is too far away from Des Moines. Can't do it while I have a youngster in school here. Not to mention...like I said before...running a successful business isn't easy. A bowling alley is even harder. We'd have to find a way to bring in business, convince competitive bowlers to bowl there, start youth leagues, run tournaments, host birthday parties....it'd be a LOT of work...not to mention the business stuff related to loans, insurance, accounting, taxes, bookkeeping, building codes....all to keep a 6-lane center running that likely would never pass USBC inspections.

And lets say it WAS profitable...and the USBC sanctioned it. What if the demand gets to a level where we need to modernize/expand? The cost of modernizing a center like that...putting in another 18 lanes...going from wood to synthetics....updating to code...we'd never see a profit...for at least 5 years.
    Last edited by Aslan; 06-16-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Back to the house shot. Last night we had the first of 6 summer texasholdem tournaments. For those who don't know about them you buy a hand and high hand wins. The tournaments pay $600 for 1st, $300 for second, $200 for 3rd. 6th pays $150.
    To qualify you have to bowl within 20 pins of your average the 1st game. 10 pins the second and hit or go over average the last game.
    Well out of the 80 bowlers who paid the $10 entry fee "80" bowlers only 13 qualified after 3 games. One in 8 bowlers made the cut. That doesn't sound like an easy THS to me.
    16.25%
    Everyone who made the 3 cuts got a minimum of $116.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    That doesn't sound like an easy THS to me.
    That's not really the point.

If everyone in the league is averaging around 195...when 25 years ago only the top 3-5 bowlers would average that high...thats the point. Hitting your average...whether inflated or not...is just a matter of how well you bowl on a particular night.

Like I said...rolling a 300-game THEN: 1 in 650,000. NOW...1 in 3000.
    That doesn't mean everyone on league night rolls a 300-game...it just means it's 215x more likely.

"Hitting your average" (like in the game you mentioned) is actually just as fair now as it was then....it's just a different, much higher average.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Pin Crusher

What percentage of Certified bowlers hit 300 --800 last season?

What percentage of Certified bowlers hit 300 --800 last season?
    Not sure.

The 1 in 3000 number was from 2010...so it's likely that it's even more frequent an accomplishment nowadays. The USBC changed their award program back in 2013...and the numbers were continuing to trend upwards then. In 2013, there were more than 50,000 sanctioned 300-games...according to the USBC.

For perspective;
    In 1952, there were 1.6 million bowlers and only 198 bowlers that bowled a 300-game. (0.00012375/sanctioned bowler)
    In 1980, when there were 4.8 million sanctioned bowlers, there were 5,373 perfect games. (0.00112/sanctioned bowler) (9x as likely)
    In 2001, there were 1.7 million bowlers and 42,163 perfect games. (0.0248/sanctioned bowler) (22x as likely)

So, in the 28 years of bowling between 1952 and 1980...it became essentially 9x easier to bowl a perfect game.
    In the 21 years that folllowed...it became 22x easier. Doing the math, between 1952 and 2013, it became 221x more likely to bowl a 300-game (which is in line with my 215x number for the similar time period).

If you extrapolate that out to 2016; assuming it's linear in growth...you probably would have had about 52,000 perfect games in 2016...given a linear trend, similar equipment, similar number of bowlers, etc...

Other Stats:
    In 2014, there were roughly 1.69 million members of the USBC and 57,472 sanctioned leagues.
    In 2015, there were roughly 1.57 million members of the USBC and 53,209 sanctioned leagues.
    In 2016, there were roughly 1.49 million members of the USBC and 48,964 sanctioned leagues.
    Last edited by Aslan; 06-18-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Pin Crusher

At one time about 92% of bowlers had not ever bowled a 300 game. Not sure when. I would bet that last year that of all the 300 games bowled only maybe 10% were 1st timers. It is the same people over and over.

You mentioned 1980 is when the 300's started going up. What happened in the early 80's? Urethane balls. Balls that would hook even if you threw them too hard.

At one time about 92% of bowlers had not ever bowled a 300 game. Not sure when. I would bet that last year that of all the 300 games bowled only maybe 10% were 1st timers. It is the same people over and over.
    I doubt the same 200 people that bowled a perfect game in 1952 have bowled the 50,000 in 2013.

That would be rather impressive though.

Pin Crusher

What does that even mean?

What does that even mean?
    I meant that while, yes, only the top 3-10% of bowlers roll perfect games...that number is expanding at a statistical rate that is just too blatent to ignore. I think the last number I heard was something like 0.025% of the bowlers....that would mean that the 50,000 perfect games were bowled by around 42,000 different bowlers....meaning 8,000 of the perfect games were multiples.

It'd be nice to see some real stats though. My math is fairly solid...but I'd prefer to see straight up data.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast