Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TIPS for bowling with limitarions for the i2icustom girl

Default TIPS for bowling with limitarions for the i2icustom girl

Hello all.

Let me introduce myself, my name is Myla and this is my story http://www.westgtastroke.ca/?page_id=44 . I love sports but since my stroke I have had to relearn how to do stuff with my limitations (paralyzed on left side). It's not as bad as it sounds, I still downhill ski competitively, I am a gym rat (hard core).

I still like to bowl. This is how I currently do it... I stand at the foul line, someone who is bowling against me brings me my 10 pin ball and I do my thing. With this said, I do get my occasional strikes and spares but there is no consistency in my throw.

Can anyone suggest and techniques to help me with consistency?

Thanks in advance!

Myla
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-21-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: removed advertizing in title

Chats: 35

The key to consistency is having a repeatable routine, such as standing in the same spot on the lane when you roll the ball, aiming at the same spot on the lane, and using the same stroke and release. From there you make adjustments based on how the lane is playing. If you have some video of you bowling you can post, folks on here could help stear you in the right direction, as it is much easier to see from a video.

good idea, I'll get a video soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    The key to consistency is having a repeatable routine, such as standing in the same spot on the lane when you roll the ball, aiming at the same spot on the lane, and using the same stroke and release. From there you make adjustments based on how the lane is playing. If you have some video of you bowling you can post, folks on here could help stear you in the right direction, as it is much easier to see from a video.
    Do you know of any other bowlers like me that I can search on youtube?

Chats: 35

I don't off-hand, but there are bound to be some out there

Chats: 0

Myla,

You are a shining example to people that have overcome limitations and I applaud you for that. Keep pushing on, you really have no limitations. I work with many young people that have limitations, Asburgers Syndrome, a young man that had a stroke very young, and most recently a young man that was in a motorcycle accident (off road) that damaged the left side of his brain. (coma for 3 weeks - Dad said they thought they lost him) His Dad brought him in to bowl one time and he like it so much he joined our youth summer league. His Dad is hoping this will hopefully have him regain some of his balance and equilibrium and bring him closer to where he once was.

Patience, practice and working with a good certified instructor will help you improve. They will be able to explain how to line up based on lane conditions and help
    you with targeting. The stronger you get throwing that 10lb ball, try moving up in weight a pound at a time. Keep in mind that you're throwing a 10 # ball at 35 pounds of pins, and the lighter the ball the more it will deflect. Good luck and keep us up-dated on your achievements.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post
    Myla,

You are a shining example to people that have overcome limitations and I applaud you for that. Keep pushing on, you really have no limitations. I work with many young people that have limitations, Asburgers Syndrome, a young man that had a stroke very young, and most recently a young man that was in a motorcycle accident (off road) that damaged the left side of his brain. (coma for 3 weeks - Dad said they thought they lost him) His Dad brought him in to bowl one time and he like it so much he joined our youth summer league. His Dad is hoping this will hopefully have him regain some of his balance and equilibrium and bring him closer to where he once was.

Patience, practice and working with a good certified instructor will help you improve. They will be able to explain how to line up based on lane conditions and help
    you with targeting. The stronger you get throwing that 10lb ball, try moving up in weight a pound at a time. Keep in mind that you're throwing a 10 # ball at 35 pounds of pins, and the lighter the ball the more it will deflect. Good luck and keep us up-dated on your achievements.

Bob

Thank you Bob. I still need to get a video of "my" way of bowling. Do you have any video of the young survivor you can share?

Thank you in advance and for your support.
    Kayla Mai
    kayla@i2icustom.com
    www.i2icustom.com

Chats: 0

Myla, Haven't taken any videos yet this summer. I usually try to get one video session in so all of the kids can see themselves in action. Sometimes it will sink in as to what the coaches have been telling them all along and they'll get out there and make the change. I'll try to get a couple of Rich and his Dads permission to upload it. He's a great kid, loves bowling and is working very hard. It's a pleasure to work with him and see the excitement in him when he bowls well. His Dad is very good and his greatest cheerleader and that is a huge positive for Rich.

Bob

Thanks Bob, My alpine ski coach does the same thing. It's difficult to visualize what we athletes are doing wrong until we see it for ourselves.
    Cheerleaders are important.
    Speaking from personal experience, being a part of any sport after such a life changing experience is so important to feel "normal" and a "part of".
    Kayla Mai
    kayla@i2icustom.com
    www.i2icustom.com

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Myla, it sounds like all the stroke did was make you mentally stronger to keep meeting all the other challenges thrown your way. Glad to read you figured out the pony tail too.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast