Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking up those pesky 7 pins.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 136

Default Picking up those pesky 7 pins.

I have tried different approaches from the back, haven't tried moving up,
    I can't hit it constantly and that is ruining my 200 game.
    About me,
    2 handed bowler,
    Left handed,
    Hammer Ball,

Chats: 326

Quote Originally Posted by martinezsam2495 View Post
    I have tried different approaches from the back, haven't tried moving up,
    I can't hit it constantly and that is ruining my 200 game.
    About me,
    2 handed bowler,
    Left handed,
    Hammer Ball,
    If you don't have a plastic spare ball, that is the first thing I'd try if I were you. If you do get a plastic ball and you still can't get it, or if you don't want to get a plastic spare ball, then I'd consider throwing at the 7 pin with only one hand, not two, that way you can have a conventional swing and it will allow you to straighten it out more.

I'm still struggling with the 10 pin (right handed), but I have made an adjustment within the last week and have been picking it up more frequently. I think I'm going to stick with my new approach for a while. I'm about 8 for 10 so far, which is good for me, but still hoping to get better at it with more practice throwing it this way.

Ringer
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JaMau24 View Post
    If you don't have a plastic spare ball, that is the first thing I'd try if I were you. If you do get a plastic ball and you still can't get it, or if you don't want to get a plastic spare ball, then I'd consider throwing at the 7 pin with only one hand, not two, that way you can have a conventional swing and it will allow you to straighten it out more.

I'm still struggling with the 10 pin (right handed), but I have made an adjustment within the last week and have been picking it up more frequently. I think I'm going to stick with my new approach for a while. I'm about 8 for 10 so far, which is good for me, but still hoping to get better at it with more practice throwing it this way.
    oh, I will try that the next time I go bowling, I'm planning on going for practice at least 2x week, with 3+ games each session,
    Ok the thing with that is, if I were to throw it straight, I wouldn't be able to throw it with 3 fingers, only 2,

Ringer
    Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by JaMau24 View Post

i struggle more with the 7 than the 10 (right handed).. sometimes it feels weird even.. because ppl usually get the 7 quite easily..
    Speed: 12-14 mph
    Rev Rate: 150-200
    Style: Tweener

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

I don't use plastic, but found a low end, or burn't out high end ball has JUST enough grab to hang on the edge when shoot the center arrow! With the plastic, it had to be right on target, not as forgiving as playing the hook. I know one should throw plastic, and do a streight shoot! I might work on that but right now on simple house conditions the weak ball hook works for me 80 percent of the time. Good luck

Chats: 39

That's what I always used to say, until I recently played a tourney at a center where the lanes were really dry, and then I kept missing juuuust to the right every time (a little tiny bit too much hook). I've decided to start trying straight.....it really is the best way to go for single pins. I used to actually throw it straight, but like you, I found it easier with a tiny bit of hook. Guess I'll have to go back to straight and practice, practice, practice....

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Sam, I don't care how many fingers you use. Stand on the dot all the way to the right. Look at the 7 pin. Draw your eyes back, slowly, to the arrows. Depending on how many dots your center has, you should be at the center arrow. You must let the palm of your hand face upwards and keep that position until AFTER the release. That will get you close. Target practice from there will help you locate your sweet spot.
    Right handed, for 10 pins I stand on 30 and roll over 18.
    7 pin I stand at 5 and roll over 20.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Ringer
    Blog Entries

Alright, thanks Bill, I will try this out during league,
    hopefully that 7 pin will be destroyed.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

/the best part is, with straight balls the pattern doesn't matter. so if you find a spot during practice it will be the same during league or on any other lane.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Or you can use the whoops method. The "I so badly missed the pocket and hit the 7 pin, maybe I'll repeat that" method. It helped me get my 10 pin percentage up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast