Thread: Sacrificing happiness for money.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

Default Sacrificing happiness for money.

I love my job, I work alone, no one, not even the boss, or owner bother me. I am only here 8 hours a day, and I can usually get my work done in 4, leaving me plenty of time to do what I want, including going around the block and bowling a few games. So a friend of my wifes comes to me and asks me if I want a job working with her husband. It's a night job, 12 hours a day, 5pm to 5am. The money is really good. Even though I would start by making less $ an hour, with OT I will make a little more. Once I get my CDL, I will make a lot more. Here's the catch, it would most likely make me miserable. I have no desire to drive a truck for a living, and I definitely do not want those hours. I would be home with my daughter during the day, but I would be sleeping, or trying to sleep. So I would probably have to put her in daycare anyway. Then I wouldn't be home during the night, so I would never see my kid. Plus, working nights means I would not be able to bowl in my league. I guess I am going to turn the job down, but I can't get over the fact that I am turning down such good money, and in such a bad economy. Most people would say "grow up, most people hate thier jobs, and you have to sacrifice to provide for your family." I do plan on talking to my boss, and getting a raise at my current job, but it still wont be anywhere near what I can make by leaving. It's gonna be tough to call this guy and tell him no. Should I just suck it up, and be miserable?

Quote Originally Posted by RoccoRock View Post
    I love my job, I work alone, no one, not even the boss, or owner bother me. I am only here 8 hours a day, and I can usually get my work done in 4, leaving me plenty of time to do what I want, including going around the block and bowling a few games. So a friend of my wifes comes to me and asks me if I want a job working with her husband. It's a night job, 12 hours a day, 5pm to 5am. The money is really good. Even though I would start by making less $ an hour, with OT I will make a little more. Once I get my CDL, I will make a lot more. Here's the catch, it would most likely make me miserable. I have no desire to drive a truck for a living, and I definitely do not want those hours. I would be home with my daughter during the day, but I would be sleeping, or trying to sleep. So I would probably have to put her in daycare anyway. Then I wouldn't be home during the night, so I would never see my kid. Plus, working nights means I would not be able to bowl in my league. I guess I am going to turn the job down, but I can't get over the fact that I am turning down such good money, and in such a bad economy. Most people would say "grow up, most people hate thier jobs, and you have to sacrifice to provide for your family." I do plan on talking to my boss, and getting a raise at my current job, but it still wont be anywhere near what I can make by leaving. It's gonna be tough to call this guy and tell him no. Should I just suck it up, and be miserable?
    Hmm, "mankind are more predisposed to suffering" Dec of Independence. I use that line in my life all the time. Our founders rule! However, in your situation I would not sacrifice my relationship with daughter to make a few more bucks. Money comes and goes, doesn't matter how much you make. Good luck bud.
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com bowling Forums. Storm Vivid 13-18mph.

Chats: 4

I have to say no don't do it don't give up your happiness for a for
    few or maybe quite a few dollars more money isn't everything in
    this old world.

I like you had a job one time with no one around to tell me what
    to do or bother me at all. I didn't even have to punch in or out the
    Foreman did that for me at the main plant the only time I saw anyone
    was when the truck came to pick up the pants legs and restock with
    the new legs once a week and bring my paycheck to me.

The job I had was spraying some sealer on the legs and hanging them
    up on a shaker system to dry before they were sent to be made into blue
    jeans. I could come and go as I pleased I'd have all my days work done in
    about 2 - 4 hours then I could leave or do what ever I wanted.

I got to wanting more money myself so I quit to go to a better paying job
    and that was the biggest mistake I think I have ever made in the job market.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Blog Entries

Yeah, no punching in or out for me. Heck, as long as UPS picks up all the packages, I can leave whenever I want. Yeah, tough to give that up. My wife agrees with me, the moneys nice, but there are more important things.

Chats: 35

I think you have made up your mind on staying and are looking for some reassurance that it is a good choice for you. Do what makes you happy and gets you quality time with the family

Blog Entries

I just got off the phone with the guy. He wants me to come work with him on a Saturday to see if I like it. Seems like he won't give up. It's nice to be wanted.

i work in the security field and i sometimes have to work nights so i know how it is i even sometimes would work 56hr work weeks meaning i didnt get to spend much time with my daughter who is only 1. In you situation i wouldn't do it you seem to be doing just fine at your current job if you can still live good and provide with the job you already have then stay happy.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I left the Army so I could see my daughter grow up. I saw her birth a two days later went to the Gulf. Next time I saw her she was walking. After I worked a couple of jobs and ended up being a Service Manager at an auto repair shop. I worked a ton of hours and made a crap load of money. It never mattered how much or how little money I made, it was never enough. It's amazing how you can adapt to whatever salary you are making. I gave up managing and went back to wrenching. It gave me the time to spend with my daughter without being stressed out to the max. Now amazingly, I'm looking for a job that would allow me to coach the high school team even if that means making a little less money. Time is money but there is no amount that is worth missing any part of seeing your daughter grow up.
    My dad was a truck driver, long haul. I saw him two days every two weeks. We weren't close at all and I think that was a big part of it.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com