Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Ideas on Drastic Average Drop?

Default Any Ideas on Drastic Average Drop?

I will list my averages for the last 4 seasons and what ball(s) I was using...and also "technique"

2008 season~~Average:160~~Balls:50% Super Beast, 50% Virtual Gravity~~Style: Chicken-winged Cranker

2009 season~~Average:172~~Ball: Virtual Gravity~~Style: bit more conventional Kinda of "power Tweener"

2010 season~~Average:179~~Ball:Virtual Gravity~~Style: Power Tweener/ Tweener

2011 season~~Average:169~~Balls: 90% Virtual Gravity, 10% Crossroad~~Style: Much more conventional Tweener

It seems the "better" my throw and approach got the better my score was getting..until I was finally able to keep my arm straight bend my knees and not chicken wing the ball then my average dropped by 10 pins... here is the kicker for me...

2012 off season practice~~Average: 146~~Ball: Crossraod~~Style: Tweener...

I would like to go back to more of a cranker style but I have had issues with my wrist since high school tennis. My scores go up when I bowl that way but I leave having to ice my wrist and pop some meds, thats know way to live.

Anyone else have a sudden large drop in average ..if so what did you do? I dont want to blame it on the ball as its me throwing it.. I do know however that the VG and the Crossroad are two completely different kinds of balls and it could be a factor but a good bowler should be able to keep up with any ball..

I doubt there is much anyone can do .. just more or less venting i guess...

Ideas welcome..

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Your average only dropped by one spare per game. I don't count the off season practice. Chances are the Crossroad was burning up seeing as most alleys don't oil nearly as much during the summer when they are normally slower. Just don't miss as many spares
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

I see what you are saying.. It is true it is not that much...and actually I am hitting more low on the pocket than anything else with the crossroad.... More than anything I wish I didn't have wrist issues as I am more "comfortable" throwing with a bent wrist than I am keeping it straight. But it is what it is... I even took 3 months off of bowling came back and wrist was pained right away.. I should probably see a doctor but last time I went for it 5 years ago all they said was to rest it, ice it, exercise it... yeah tried that.

It seems like 2 years ago when I would bowling at least 1 of 3 games (at league) would be well over 200..around the 230ish range.. it would be like.. 140, 230, 180.. or something of the sorts.. now it is more.. 160, 175, 165..I guess the good in that is I am being more consistent.. I just haven't hit 200 during league in weeks. Oh well. I will work on my spares.. I do need to get my spare ball re-plugged, the thumb hole is far to big.

Thanks for the response though, much appreciated.

Blog Entries

When league starts back up keep track of where you start from, your mark and the result. If you get three brooklyn strikes a game and end up with a 220 and the other games are 175-190 but hit the pocket then you will know you're ok and just got some luck on the bigger game. In the end is comes close to even, the brooklyn strikes compensate for the ringing 10 pins. The difference between a 170 and a 220 with the same amount and placing of strikes comes down to making the spares. I usually have one open a game that kills me (emotionally anyway).
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

funny how opens can do that eh? I went and practiced twoday and threw a 198 my last game..clean game but couldnt cap off the extra in the 10th threw 7 pins. killed me

off topic but do you thinkg switching from 15 to 14 lb ball would help my wrist issues?

Blog Entries

Yes. The one pound will seem like a lot to your wrist but will affect your bowling very little. Most people see an increase in ball speed coupled with an increase in revs.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

whelp looks like its time for another new ball...thanks again billf...you have been a big help!

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon325 View Post
    I will list my averages for the last 4 seasons and what ball(s) I was using...and also "technique"

2008 season~~Average:160~~Balls:50% Super Beast, 50% Virtual Gravity~~Style: Chicken-winged Cranker

2009 season~~Average:172~~Ball: Virtual Gravity~~Style: bit more conventional Kinda of "power Tweener"

2010 season~~Average:179~~Ball:Virtual Gravity~~Style: Power Tweener/ Tweener

2011 season~~Average:169~~Balls: 90% Virtual Gravity, 10% Crossroad~~Style: Much more conventional Tweener

It seems the "better" my throw and approach got the better my score was getting..until I was finally able to keep my arm straight bend my knees and not chicken wing the ball then my average dropped by 10 pins... here is the kicker for me...

2012 off season practice~~Average: 146~~Ball: Crossraod~~Style: Tweener...

I would like to go back to more of a cranker style but I have had issues with my wrist since high school tennis. My scores go up when I bowl that way but I leave having to ice my wrist and pop some meds, thats know way to live.

Anyone else have a sudden large drop in average ..if so what did you do? I dont want to blame it on the ball as its me throwing it.. I do know however that the VG and the Crossroad are two completely different kinds of balls and it could be a factor but a good bowler should be able to keep up with any ball..

I doubt there is much anyone can do .. just more or less venting i guess...

Ideas welcome..

Gordon, I'm in agreement with Billf about the need to keep track of your games. What I do with the youth bowlers is go over their games and show them how to analyze what's going on. track each frame, i.e.; strike (pocket), spare made (4-6), strike (brooklyn), split (4 -10) made the 4. After bowling go back and see if you see a pattern. I'm guessing, without seeing you bowl, that you are lifting your eyes off of your spot just a split second before releasing the ball. Checking for accuracy would be the first thing I think you should do. How is your spare shooting percentage?

If you"believe" you're hitting your target than look at the angles you're shooting. Where are you setting the ball down (which board at the line), to which arrow, and then to where your break point is. Look at how you can adjust that line to possible give your ball a better entry angle and try that.

If you have a video please post it. We have many people on here that are very willing and able to help others improve, and we love to do it. Take some shots from the back and also from the side. Let us know your progress.

Bob

well you also have to consider how your equipment is laid out. If you aren't getting as many revs as you want because you cant crank it then you need your balls to be more aggressive. I mean you have strong pieces but depending on pin placement and coverstock could also cause you to feel like your bowling different. What Bill and Tampabay said is also necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast