Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do most pro shop drillers watch EVERYone bowl?

Chats: 0

I asked for my new guy to watch me and find my PAP and he was more than happy to do it. Had the control desk turn on a lane in front of the pro shop. Found my PAP within a few minutes....drilled my ball for more mid lane read and a smoother hook...Now I just need to get a little more consitant to make the most of it.

One thing is for sure. There is a pro shop about 20 minutes away. I drive twice as far to see this guy on service and attitude alone.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 116

How does one find the best pro shop service without expensive trial and error?

Chats: 506

ask around on league night everyone will tell u someone some where word of mouth mostly
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

There are several questions I always ask before I will let a pro shop operator even touch my equipment.

1. Do you know the Dual Angle layout technique?
    - If the pro shop is not willing to stay current with the current most popular techniques, why would they want to take the time to drill in the first place? Oh wait, for the money?

2. What would you recommend for a bowler wanting to bowl on a typical house pattern (or the local house's pattern)?
    - If they just suggest buying the most expensive items with no real explanation why, I generally go elsewhere. If they don't ask me anything else about my personal style, I go elsewhere.

3. I prefer to buy from a typical manufacturer. What are your opinions about <specify ball>?
    - OK, I got it. You don't like Brunswick! I do. Get over it! Stop trying to tell me their equipment sucks. In the 3 years since I started bowling, using nothing but Brunswick, I now average 190 at one house and around 180 in two others. I'm no pro, but I get the feeling it's not the equipment that sucks. Zing!

It helps to do some research before you make a purchase. Look up ball reviews online. Ask local league bowlers who they had drill their equipment and what they thought.

I hear people complain quite often about pro shop operators who messed up their ball. This is not just the operator's fault. You must know what you want and what you should and should not do. Pro shops also need to step up and take care of the customer's personal needs as a bowler.

The main reason I watch someone throw the ball is if they are buying a resin ball with a large core inside that makes the ball gyrate on it's axis as it's rolling down the lane. If they are a full roller, you need to place the pin in a certain area so the player doesn't flare over the thumb hole. You also need to see where they track in order to place the pin far enough away from the track and pap. The only people I do not watch are beginners buying a plastic ball with a conventional drill. No weight block inside a plastic ball, just a puck to offset the weight removed by drilling the thumb and finger holes. However, it is imperative to watch someone throw the ball if they gonna spend close to two hundred dollars on a bowling ball. You need to know what their ball speed, rev rate, axis point and axis tilt are to give them the best bang for their buck.

I was pretty PO'ed at my house who drilled both of my bowling balls. Here's why. A couple of months ago, I pulled my fingertips out to replace them with power lift tips and the bridge underneath both my Nexus and Taboo were pretty much gone..they drilled too close to the pin on my Nexus, so we had to "replace" that. So, since I know a guy who drills balls now, I go to him, because he's done it for years, and I know he's not going to mess up..the next ball I buy in the next couple weeks, which hopefully will be a Sigma Tour..we're probably going to sit down and talk about how it needs to be drilled..since he watches me bowl twice a week..he has an idea on how I bowl. =P
    In the locker: Hammer Taboo Jet Black; Brunswick Nexus (p+f); Motiv Sigma Tour
    High game/series: 290/793
    League Averages: Garrick Jewelers - 225; Kingpin Mixed - 232

Chats: 243

Mine didnt watch me bowl but that because i dont get mine drilled at a pro shop. He has his own store unaffiliated with an alley. I went to him because online and irl he gets nothing but praise from customers. He put a middle of the road drilling on my crossroad as i was looking for a ball for a range of situations which is why the crossroad was recommended in the first place. He never pushed a high end ball and would only talk about them if i asked. The proshop guy at my alley on the other hand, well i wouldnt trust him to drill a ball i got from the thrift store.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Blog Entries
    Chats: 116

Quote Originally Posted by e-tank View Post
    Mine didnt watch me bowl but that because i dont get mine drilled at a pro shop. He has his own store unaffiliated with an alley. I went to him because online and irl he gets nothing but praise from customers. He put a middle of the road drilling on my crossroad as i was looking for a ball for a range of situations which is why the crossroad was recommended in the first place. He never pushed a high end ball and would only talk about them if i asked. The proshop guy at my alley on the other hand, well i wouldnt trust him to drill a ball i got from the thrift store.
    Just about the same exact situation with me and I am VERY HAPPY!
    In the Bag: Hammer Nail, Smoke and Fire #13 RG (2.53) Diff (.055) - Bowling a 189 Game
    Open Average: 171 High Open Game: 226
    Tweener; Deep; Medium Loft; Low Backswing ; Speed: 12 MPH

My pro shop guy has bowled in leagues with me and he knows how I thow the ball. I think that you should have the pro shop watch you throw a few ball prior to drilling a reactive ball for you.
    The first ball this guy ever drilled for me was a disaster. He didnt watch me throw and didnt realize how much ball speed i have after that I didnt use him for a while but when I went back to him after bowling in a league with him he did great.
    This last ball I had drilled was an expirment trying a new layout I just had the Reign On drilled with a rico pattern seems to be working pretty good so far

Chats: 243

Quote Originally Posted by tccstudent View Post
    My pro shop guy has bowled in leagues with me and he knows how I thow the ball. I think that you should have the pro shop watch you throw a few ball prior to drilling a reactive ball for you.
    The first ball this guy ever drilled for me was a disaster. He didnt watch me throw and didnt realize how much ball speed i have after that I didnt use him for a while but when I went back to him after bowling in a league with him he did great.
    This last ball I had drilled was an expirment trying a new layout I just had the Reign On drilled with a rico pattern seems to be working pretty good so far
    Unless youre fairly consistent with shot placement and speed/revs, layouts arent a huge deal. I only have one ball drilled for me with a generic layout and the rest are used with who knows what layout and i do just fine with them
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast