Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do most pro shop drillers watch EVERYone bowl?

Banned
    Chats: 100

Default Do most pro shop drillers watch EVERYone bowl?

Or do they usually only watch those who who specifically mention finding PAP?

Chats: 891

if you need help on something like your release the pro shop will watch you or if you want to say get a new ball drilled different he can watch you and see what kind of change in the drilling will do to give you the best advantage
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Ball99999 View Post
    Or do they usually only watch those who who specifically mention finding PAP?
    It all depends on the type of customer service they want to provide. There's good ones, bad ones and the in between.

And sometimes you have to ask.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 22

The guy from my pro shop watched me bowl first. Now, I was going from a conventional grip on a plastic ball to a fingertip grip on a reactive resin ball, so I imagine there was a certain amount of guesswork for him. He told me he was drilling it so that I would have a smoother backend movement. I looked at the drilling layouts for the Misfit and sure enough that's what he gave me. The pin is directly above the 2 finger holes.

Step into my office

Chats: 42

I think if someone is going to drill a ball for someone, they should watch them bowl first. Doesn't matter what skill level you're at, it helps to know what you're dealing with. The bowler may actually be better or worse than they think they are.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

The ball can't be drilled to perform as needed for your style if they don't know your style. Everybody has their own personal style within the bowling styles.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 131

the pro shop i go don't watch ANYONE bowls because his not situated in a bowling center. rather somewhere in the middle of town area where you tell him how you want your ball to go and he'll drill for you. of course he has a small platform for you to test your ball to see if it's coming out properly.. other than that.. nope.. he doesn't watch anyone bowls..
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

In the Bag:
    DV8: Hell Raiser Revenge, Diva
    Columbia300: White Dot Black Berry Polyester
    Brunswick: NeXXus f(P+R)
    Substitute Balls:
    Storm: Sure Fire
    Ebonite: Pursuit
    Retired:
    Lane 1: MaxXx Curve
    Current High Score / Series: 237 / 635
    Style: Power Tweener
    Average Score: 180

Aim for Balls:
    Misfit Pearl
    Marauder
    Brutal Nightmare

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

It's sad to say, but too many of these pro shop owners just want to put in the minimum effort needed to get the job done. If you don't ask them to watch you, and find your PAP, and make a suggestion, then they aren't doing it. Even if you ask, they still may half-*** it, and most of the time the bowler doesn't know enough to call them on what they did. I've bought balls from 3 places since 2009, and only one of them asked me to throw a few balls so they can see what I need. One guy, I won't mention what shop, or what part of Long Island his shop is, when you go in there and ask for anything, it seems like you are bothering him. I bought something from there once, and I asked the most simple question "how much is it?" How can you answer that wrong. His answer "I don't know." Yup, that would be the wrong answer. I've had 5, or 6 friends buy a ball from him, he did not ask any of them what they wanted it for, how they wanted it drilled, nevermind watching them throw a few shots. One of the reasons I joined this site is to further my knowledge of equipment. I know very little right now, so even if a driller watches me throw a few, and "drills it for me" I have no idea what he did, or if he did it right. I need to learn RG, and pin location, axis, tilt, everything, so I know what's good for me, and not rely on someone who may or may not have my best interests in mind.
    Trying not to suck, one day at a time.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 116

Rocko

I own 2 balls which are now retired. One ball that was my first ever and the axis is zero

Blog Entries
    Chats: 116

Quote Originally Posted by RoccoRock View Post
    It's sad to say, but too many of these pro shop owners just want to put in the minimum effort needed to get the job done. If you don't ask them to watch you, and find your PAP, and make a suggestion, then they aren't doing it. Even if you ask, they still may half-*** it, and most of the time the bowler doesn't know enough to call them on what they did. I've bought balls from 3 places since 2009, and only one of them asked me to throw a few balls so they can see what I need. One guy, I won't mention what shop, or what part of Long Island his shop is, when you go in there and ask for anything, it seems like you are bothering him. I bought something from there once, and I asked the most simple question "how much is it?" How can you answer that wrong. His answer "I don't know." Yup, that would be the wrong answer. I've had 5, or 6 friends buy a ball from him, he did not ask any of them what they wanted it for, how they wanted it drilled, nevermind watching them throw a few shots. One of the reasons I joined this site is to further my knowledge of equipment. I know very little right now, so even if a driller watches me throw a few, and "drills it for me" I have no idea what he did, or if he did it right. I need to learn RG, and pin location, axis, tilt, everything, so I know what's good for me, and not rely on someone who may or may not have my best interests in mind.
    I have 2 balls that are now retired. The first ball which is an AMF Bobcat was drilled pretty plain. Then again that was my first ball I ever owned back when I was 15 years old. The second ball I have was drilled with the axis tilted noticibly. I do recall slightly that the owner of the house and the pro shop asked me to throw a few shots with my Bobcat.

Now mind you he did't measure my revs or anything else but he did get my pap.

My current PAP is not the same as when i was bowling over 12 years ago I am pretty sure.

I am currently loaning my mother's u-dot 12#. I plan on buying 2 balls within the next month or two since I just got back into bowling and due to a car wreck from 12 years ago, EVERYTHING about my throw and approach has changed. Also my retired balls are 15# and my mother's ball is 12#. i can not go any heavier than 12#. maybe 13# at the most but I can't throw a #14. I have tried many house balls too.

When i do get around to buying a strike ball and a straight ball I want to make sure that A. it is the right ball for me and B. it is drilled just for ME and not just some generic drilling pattern.

I throw thumb-less so now there is the case of the BALANCE hole where the thumb would be. I really have no clue.

I heard that Tom Daugherty owns his own pro-shop. That must be a neat job! Be able to drill a new ball every week or so!

Anyways...

Is there a CHECKLIST to quiz a ball driller on prior to purchasing and drilling?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast