Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do most pro shop drillers watch EVERYone bowl?

Chats: 221

Depending on the customer I will go to where they bowl and watch them before drilling their ball. Otherwise I will discuss things with them and find their PAP off their track before drilling a ball.

Chats: 0

My guy flat refused to drill a ball before watching me. He also refused to drill a ball I'd picked out because he knew it was the wrong ball for me.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

If you are purchasing anything other than a plastic ball the pro shop should at the minimum find your PAP. Essentially if they don't watch you bowl and find this they are saying that they just want to get you in and out of the shop. A really good pro shop will watch you bowl, find the necessary measurements (span, PAP, thumb, pitch, etc.), and will even evaluate your current equipment to tell you what you should buy.

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    If you are purchasing anything other than a plastic ball the pro shop should at the minimum find your PAP. Essentially if they don't watch you bowl and find this they are saying that they just want to get you in and out of the shop. A really good pro shop will watch you bowl, find the necessary measurements (span, PAP, thumb, pitch, etc.), and will even evaluate your current equipment to tell you what you should buy.
    What shop are you using?
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    Absolutely agree. I just recently found a shop that took the time with me when I got my new HyperCell.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

The guy at my pro shop didn't watch me bowl for the first ball he drilled for me. I was going from a conventional grip to a finger tip for the first time, so he drilled me what he said he drilled people who were starting with finger tip for the first time. He did measure my span, found my PAP, and even mentioned that the layout of the ball was better than the one he currently owned. After I came back specifically for a heavy oil ball, he asked me to throw so he could find my track, and then drilled the heavy oil ball aggressively for me. Both bowling balls work great and do what they're supposed to do. I also go to my pro shop guy for any questions because I know he's not just trying to make a sale. He's actually working to help me improve. He's even given me free lessons and helped me work on everything from my approach to my release, and even where to stand and read boards.

I think any good pro shop will watch you bowl before they drill your ball. My personally if they don't I will leave and go somewhere else.

Chats: 0

From my experience with pros in the pro shops, their job is as much PR as it is drilling balls. They are there as the resident expert, and part of their job (being in the "inner circle") is to generate excitement and foster a love of the game in up-and-comers, as well as keep the "regulars" happy.

Chats: 10

I just for a Hy-Road Solid and the guy at my center drilled it, I usually go to another shop, and he knows how I bowl and picked a great layout. Before he drilled it, he looked at the tracks on my Optimus. The ball works great for me. He did a great job.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123