Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't win

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

I bowled another 4 games between Friday and today, to see if I could repeat, or even come close to what I did earlier this week. Friday, 162, 159. So, I was depressed, and questioning my abilty to use my thumb, as usual. I did not give up though, and I know what I did wrong. I went today, first game I had 103through 9 frames, and off an open. So moved in two boards, and tried to stay behind the ball more, and get good rotation. I struck out the 10th. Then, second game today, I amost exactly matched my effort from earlier this week. 9, spare, 6 strikes in a row, 8 spare, 3 in a row, 9 on the last fill ball. 267, my third best game ever. So I have had 2 of my 3 best ever games this week, all with my thumb in the ball. Looks like I am headed in the right direction.
    Trying not to suck, one day at a time.

Blog Entries

I was working on the starting position of my feet as well, and that may have been what screwed me up on Friday. 1- I was concentrating on my feet so much, I forgot to use my hand to actually throw the ball, and 2-I switched my stance, but started in the same spot. So my right foot was about a shoe length further back, putting me too far from the foul line. I'm getting there, and the fact I had two of my beat games ever, on two different days, at two different lanes, with two different balls only 3 days apart, has me really excited that I can do this. I've wanted to convert to a conventional delivery for almost a year now, but never even got close to being good at it. With the help of a coach, a lot of practice, and good advice from people on this site, I've been able to do it. I'm a little nervous that next time out, I'll forget everything, and go back to sucking. Just got to remember to slow my feet, loose arm swing, get behind the ball, and get it off my thumb first so I can roll it off my fingers. I also have to remember that even if I'm inconsistent, and struggle here or there, I had those same issues without my thumb in the ball. Heck, I had a practice game just 9 weeks ago with no thumb, and I bowled a 99. That wasn't messing around either, I was really trying. I'm going light on bowling this week, I may not get out until next week. Maybe I'll write down all the stuff I said, and put it in my bag, so I can remember my fundamentals next time out.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Put a tip or two on masking tape, in marker, and put it on the toes of your shoes. College players do it all the time and the better high school coaches teach it also.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries

Did the tape on the shoe trick two weeks ago, and it's still there. It just says SLOW DOWN!

Blog Entries

Ok, now I am fully committed to one hand. I have my driller working on two new (well, used, but new to me) balls for me, both for one hand. At this point, to switch back would be a financial disaster. I have 3 good balls for one hand now, and only one ball for two handing. At this point, I am all in, I am probably even going to convert my only two hand ball as well. If I can't do it now, I am screwed.

Blog Entries

You can do it and have been doing well lately. Just don't get so discouraged every time you have a bad game or night. You will be fine.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Blog Entries

Today was the first day, in a while, that I was at ease when thinking about bowling. I've either been debating in my head what style to stick with, or throwing a ball constantly at work, or chomping at the bit to go bowling at lunch. The last two days my head was spinning thinking about buying a ball. Today, I know what style I am using, I am waiting for my new equipment to get done before I get out and bowl, and I feel that the two balls I am getting were the right choice. Feels good to be relaxed, I was even able to get out and jog 5 miles today! I've been so preoccupied with my bowling plans, I've been slacking on my workouts for a while.

Blog Entries

Hit the lanes today, just to try a few things, and see what happens. No really bad games at all this time, in fact I have reversed my trend. My worst game was around my average, and most were higher. I was trying a higher backswing, mixed results. I tried aiming at the arrows insted of the dots, no good at all. I tried a sneaker on my right foot, that was excellent. Most important, I am getting super comfortable with my new delivery. My arm swing is nice and loose, I definatly have more revs, and I am smoother than ever. I took more video today, and looked it over and I was impressed. I finally feel like I am bowling, not just chuckin' a ball down the lanes. I'm no longer in a rush to "get good." I am were I need to be with my league coming up. My scores match what I was doing two handed, or palming the ball. I can't wait to pick up my VGNP, and Outlaw. I have a feeling I am going to be using that Outlaw a whole lot in the league. I have never felt this stress free about my game. There is something to this whole thumb thing

Blog Entries

Sounds like it's time to change that signature again. I vote for the last sentence of the above post.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Sounds like it's time to change that signature again. I vote for the last sentence of the above post.
    Good, call. The change has been made, even added a little something that's I've been thinking of for a while. Now I have to update it every day.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast