Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowling Ball Cleaning and Maintenance

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Bowling Ball Cleaning and Maintenance

So you ask how do I maintain a ball? We'll start with the basic's.

Every bowler should have a microfiber towel and a spray bottle of a approved cleaner in their bag.

USBC BALL CLEANER LIST - ACCEPTABLE
    http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....ner_polish.pdf

USBC BALL CLEANER LIST - NON-ACCEPTABLE
    http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....ner_polish.pdf

Cleaning:
    1- Wipe your ball off after every shot. This should be part of your pre-shot routine.

2- After you get done bowling a session, you should clean your ball off with a approved cleaner.

These two things do the most to help reduce oil absorption into the cover of the ball.

3. Do a deep cleaning about every 50 – 75 games. This will help in removing any oil absorbed into the cover.

A deep clean is where your attemping to remove soaked in oil and dirt from the ball's cover.

How to do a Deep Cleaning at home:

You'll need a bucket or sink, a wash cloth and a dish washing detergent with a degreasing agent in it.

Simply check on the label and be sure it is has a degreaser. I recommend Dawn or Dawn Direct Foam.

1. Fill a sink or bucket with warm water and a small amount of the detergent about 2-3 teaspoons. Be sure that the water is only warm and not too hot.

2. Place the bowling ball in the warm soapy water with the holes pointing down (or cover them) and let it soak for 10 – 15 minutes.

At this point, Rub the bowling ball with the wash cloth. This helps loosen and remove grime from the surface.

3. Next remove the ball from the water and drain the water. Then repeat the entire process again, until you notice no more dirt and oil in the water after the soaking phase.

4. When done dry the ball off and allow to dry for a few hours.

These simple basic cleaning steps will help keep your ball at peak performance .

These are just the basic cleaning steps, there are other optional steps for cleaning and ball surface maintenance. Those will be added later.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-06-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: updated links

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Wet vs Dry Sanding

This ball was sanded with the same grit, left-dry sanded, right-wet sanded.

Wet sanding produces a more sheen like finish, water acts as a lubricant to a point so the cutting isn't as aggressive.

Also wet sanding helps keep the dust and friction heat down, the water also helps reduce buildup of the cuttings in your pad/paper which let's them cut better and last longer.

Wet sanding is pretty much the standard when using a home spinner.

Dry sanding is a bit more aggressive and will give you a duller surface. But you get more friction which generates more heat and the pad can load up which can reduce the effectiveness of the cutting.

fyi:
    Daily maintenance is the key to good coverstock performance. The most important step is to clean the ball thoroughly by hand with a good bowling ball cleaner immediately after each use before the oil can get deep into the coverstock. Preventing deep penetration of the oil into the coverstock is better, easier, and cheaper than trying to remove the oil after it gets deep into the coverstock!
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-01-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Chats: 22

I use Tac Up cleaner, but the bottle I bought it in is rather large. To save space in my bag I purchased an empty 2oz spray bottle and put some of the Tac Up in there. Is this maybe not a good idea? Playing Devil's Advocate, someone could question if I was using an approved cleaner and I guess I would have no way of proving it.

Just wondering if people have run in to this problem before. I'd like all my ducks in a row once I start bowling in a USBC sanctioned setting.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I bought my favorite cleaners in 2ounce bottles and use the bigger bottles to refill them. When I want to try a new cleaner or polish I buy the small bottle first. If I like it then I buy the big bottle.
    If your league is more of a fun league rather than a real serious league, then most people wouldn't know the difference never mind that they could question it.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

I've never done a deep cleaning before. I am worried about getting water in the fingerholes. It seems alien to me to put the thumbholes face down. I know that they will create an air pocket. But I'm scared to try that out.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGorilla View Post
    I've never done a deep cleaning before. I am worried about getting water in the fingerholes. It seems alien to me to put the thumbholes face down. I know that they will create an air pocket. But I'm scared to try that out.
    Some guys put duct tape over the holes or plug them in other ways.

Just a couple (probably obvious) questions
    1.When doing the deep cleaning am I going to take the inserts out and superglue them back in?
    2. What is technically a session 1, 3, 5 games or just when you finish?
    High game: 232/High series 587. Arsenal: Hammer Backlash, Tzone Catchphrase: Those pins just got smoked (followed by the double hand pistols) Catchphrase performed rate: 0%
    Faceplants on alley: 2 Reason for signature: everyone here has really fancy ones.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tokes View Post
    Just a couple (probably obvious) questions
    1.When doing the deep cleaning am I going to take the inserts out and superglue them back in?
    2. What is technically a session 1, 3, 5 games or just when you finish?
    1- No, you don't have to take the grips out.

2- Typically a session is referring to a 3 game series like in a league setting. If your bowling in a 6 game tournament, that would be a session. It's basically when your done for the day though.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-23-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks I got one more question I notice that different balls have different finishes matte, polish, high polish... is there anything special I should do to preserve this, is just cleaning the ball good enough until after so many games, or not to worry about it?
    Last edited by Tokes; 08-23-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: better word choice
    High game: 232/High series 587. Arsenal: Hammer Backlash, Tzone Catchphrase: Those pins just got smoked (followed by the double hand pistols) Catchphrase performed rate: 0%
    Faceplants on alley: 2 Reason for signature: everyone here has really fancy ones.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Each manufacturer will say on their website the steps necessary to preserve the factory finish. Matte balls just need sanding, polished balls get polish. How much and the rate of gloss depends on the manufacturer and ball.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast