Thread: USA Bowling clinics

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Default USA Bowling clinics

Anyone signed up for the free USA Bowling free coaching clinics?

I think I'm signed up for the one in Port Jefferson, L.I. this Saturday. I say think because when I printed out the confirmation there was no name on it.
    John

Chats: 2

I plan on doing one in a year. Let us know how it goes!
    Bowling - it's easy when you understand all the physics beneath the surface.
    High game - 300
    High league game - 290 x3
    High series - 802

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Anyone signed up for the free USA Bowling free coaching clinics?

I think I'm signed up for the one in Port Jefferson, L.I. this Saturday. I say think because when I printed out the confirmation there was no name on it.
    Mine is this Saturday also, maybe I'll see you there, assuming they accept "No Name".

Oh wait, Mine is in California. I don't think my eyesight is good enough to see you on the other side of the Rockies.

Bowling Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Mine is this Saturday also, maybe I'll see you there, assuming they accept "No Name".

Oh wait, Mine is in California. I don't think my eyesight is good enough to see you on the other side of the Rockies.
    Mine isn't either!
    John

Chats: 35

I am going to one in St Joseph, MO in October

Bowling Guru

Interesting day! First of all my wife has earned sainthood for getting up before 6:00a.m. on a Saturday to drop me off at the ferry dock in time to get the 6:30 ferry to Port Jefferson. There was a moment of panic after I had asked her to get directions from the dock in L.I. to the bowling center and it came up with a 6.5 mile trip. Turned out to be she had put in port jeff rd, and it picked an address one town over. Turned out to be the mile and a half that I thought it was, ( I should have printed it out the first time!). Got to the lanes 40 minutes before the seminar was scheduled to start. Went off in search of more coffee and got back at ten of nine to find the doors unlocked and then found some people with USBC shirts on in the lounge.
    They had planned on up to 25 in the class and had a turn out of 21. I was surprised that almost half the students were either high school or college age students. I was the only one there from CT. I got a lot of surprised looks when I said that I had walked there from the dock.
    Since I had done the on-line level one class a year ago, the material was a review for me. They had planned to show a couple clips on the basic 4 step approach and the 3-6-9 spare system. Unfortunately they had problems with the internet connection and could not. After about 2.5 hours of classroom instruction we got on the lanes and had almost an hour to try some of the drills and practice observing the other coaches in training. Definitely a humbling experience to do the staggered stance drill with no push away and send the ball right in the gutter. Almost as bad was throwing two beautiful flush pocket strikes on balls where I was trying to leave some pins to practice the 3-6-9 spare system.
    All in all I had an enjoyable day. I think the best part of the experience may have been meeting other coaches.
    John

Banned
    Chats: 68

The West of the Rockies version was less thrilling.

Mark Baker was supposed to be running the deal but he was (oddly enough) in Connecticut, so they had Barry Asher fill in.
    I don't know how Mark Baker would have done, but Barry Asher appeared completely unprepared.

He had trouble navigating a powerpoint presentation, and did a lot of reading exactly what was on the screen.

On the few videos, there was no sound.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Sounds like I saved my time by not attending.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Bowling Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    The West of the Rockies version was less thrilling.

Mark Baker was supposed to be running the deal but he was (oddly enough) in Connecticut, so they had Barry Asher fill in.
    I don't know how Mark Baker would have done, but Barry Asher appeared completely unprepared.

He had trouble navigating a powerpoint presentation, and did a lot of reading exactly what was on the screen.

On the few videos, there was no sound.
    Sorry that yours was so disappointing. Our instructor has been coaching young bowlers since 1976. He made no attempt to run the power point and had a younger local coach handling the technical part. She did finally get the video to play but for some reason the sound was only coming through at the laptop but not through the TV.

It would seem that USA Bowling needs to do a little more prep work to make sure these run smoothly. When I walked in ten minutes before the start they were just hooking up the laptop. They should have started half an hour earlier so they could have gotten everything working before the start.
    John