Thread: Roto Grip Defiant Edge Bowling Ball Reaction Video

Default Roto Grip Defiant Edge Bowling Ball Reaction Video

Review by Dustin S:

Pin to PAP(6 3/16" over 1/2" down) - 7 1/8"
    PSA Layout - 7 1/8 x 4 3/8 x 3"
    Balance Hole - n/a

Surface Preparation - Out of Box (1500 Grit Polished)

What I Was Looking For In This Ball Layout:

I absolutely loved the Defiant. I was expecting the Defiant Edge to be the perfect compliment for when the Defiant starts to read too early. I was hoping to see a strong backend reaction with the amazing carry the Paragon core is known for.

What I Ended Up With in the Ball and Layout:

I saw exactly what I expected to see. When a company like Roto Grip gets into a groove, it's easy to predict what a ball will do because everything they make is great. They know what works and their design team is the best in the business. This will be a great compliment to the Defiant.

With the layout I chose I saw a bit too much length for my liking. When I drill another one, I will be sure to use a stronger layout. This isn't due to anything other than me choosing too weak of a layout. I also think that changing the surface to 4000 matte like the Critical Theory would be amazing on this ball. All in all, the Defiant Edge is going to be another big hit for Roto Grip. Learn from my mistake and drill the ball with a layout that plays to the strengths of the ball. Drill it strong and watch it fly!

To learn more about the Roto Grip Defiant Edge visit bowlingball.com.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Just once I would like to see a review on bowlingball.com that sounds like it's true and not just toeing the company line. EVERY BALL DOES WHAT YOU EXPECT!
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Just once I would like to see a review on bowlingball.com that sounds like it's true and not just toeing the company line. EVERY BALL DOES WHAT YOU EXPECT!
    I agree it would be nice to not just hear the old what was it called
    oh yeah the same old caned response on every ball they review. I'd
    also love to see some spare shots in the videos and see what kind of
    pin action the ball gets not just strike after strike by editing out the 9
    and less pin counts. I say lets see some solid 10 pins and 4 pins along
    with some solid 8 pins and solid 9 pins and maybe a washout or two.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

SandBagger
    Chats: 2

I would like to see them put the kind of oil down that the ball is made for. If its for heavy put down heavy, if its for dry put down dry. How hard is that? its not like they are putting the oil on the lane with a spray bottle. Change it up a little.

Chats: 891

it would be nice to really see this ball in person but im not sure that anyone would get it cause look at tonys line he played alot in and he normaly plays out abit more soo not my kind of ball but the colors on it look good, probly a good ball for colectors or something.

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

No offense to bowlingball.com but other people do reviews on house shots as well as patterns which is better then just seeing the hook potential and strike effect.

Chats: 64

If you don't have the same shot out for every ball how would you know how to compare this video to the other videos of bowling balls. It's not like there is a current accurate method for giving lane conditions a slope rating like in golf. Having these videos that are made by bowlingball.com rather by the manufacturer at least shows an unbiased and true reaction on that given shot.

Agreed that in a perfect world it would be great to see them on a variety of conditions, however I am sure that bowlingball.com would be accused of bias if one ball were to "look" better than another. Best to take as much subjectivity out as possible if you want an unbiased review. Should I mention the time and labor that it would take to use different drilling layouts on the wide variety of different conditions, and I'm not even including temperature variants. The combinations are endless.

It should also be noted that most bowling balls react fairly well on today's house shots, and since most bowlers do bowl on a house shot it would seem that this gives those bowlers something to gauge that bowling ball with.

Bowlers who bowl on more difficult condition, i.e., Sports Leagues and PBA /City patterns should be at the skill level where these videos, if used to determine there choice at all, offer only some advice and gives only a little guidance when making their final equipment selections.

I could not imagine a golf pro, who may or may not be affiliated with a golf company, demonstrating a driver by showing the golf ball being hit 280 yards only to push the drive far to the right and into the woods. Most people get it that nothing gives them a perfect drive every time. Just as they understand that no bowling ball strikes every time.

Exactly what good would come of showing a stone 8 or a ringing 10. Would it offer some psychological validity to the video; who doesn't realize that you will not carry ever single time due to a wide variety of factors which would have little to do with the bowling ball itself.

I also love that the bowlingball.com videos are accompanied by a videoballreviews video, when they are available, which does show a sport shot along with a comparison.

I think these videos are much better than nothing at all and certianly better than only being able to see a manufacturer's video. KEEP EM COMING.

Chats: 36

While I do agree that seeing a 5-star review on every ball tends to color the way we look at the reviews, I still like to watch the videos because they DO give you a pretty good idea of what you can expect with the ball they are demonstrating. You just need to know how to watch to watch the videos. Look for nothing but strikes, because that is virtually all that ANY demo video will show you, BUT watch how the ball reacts to the heavier oil in the middle, watch how long the ball goes before hooking, watch for the severity of the break at the break point - you can see all of this in any of the BB.com vids...

Jay
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Exactly what good would come of showing a stone 8 or a ringing 10. Would it offer some psychological validity to the video; who doesn't realize that you will not carry ever single time due to a wide variety of factors which would have little to do with the bowling ball itself.
    While showing a stone 8 or a ringing 10 might not show much of anything. Seeing how a ball reacts to a shot that was unintentionally threw wide or pulled would be good to know.

Say your someone who tended to leak the ball out a lot. Knowing how well the ball recovered would be good to know, did it still come back? or did it tend to just stay out there and not come back.

Or if you pulled it the ball would it tend to hold the line, maybe go for a Brooklyn strike? or would it take off for the gutter like a stabbed rat as soon as it hit the dry?

The videos are okay for what they are, a marketing tool. Their showing the product at it's best.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 36

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    While showing a stone 8 or a ringing 10 might not show much of anything. Seeing how a ball reacts to a shot that was unintentionally threw wide or pulled would be good to know.

Say your someone who tended to leak the ball out a lot. Knowing how well the ball recovered would be good to know, did it still come back? or did it tend to just stay out there and not come back.

Or if you pulled it the ball would it tend to hold the line, maybe go for a Brooklyn strike? or would it take off for the gutter like a stabbed rat as soon as it hit the dry?

The videos are okay for what they are, a marketing tool. Their showing the product at it's best.
    Yes. As a bowler who has the tendency to dip my right should when I get tired, I would love to see what happens if one misses to the right by 5 boards. I would also like to see demos where the bowlers isn't a hyper-revving cranker. That is why I look at the demos from people like Curlie Becton (in the Bowlingball.com demo vids) more closely. Yeah I throw harder and with more revs than he does, but I think he shows a more realistic ball reaction for us older guys...Once again, you have to know what you are looking for in the videos.

Jay
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.