Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice!

Chats: 4

I agree with billf you should learn to play the inside line. I will also
    add that you should learn and practice to play all across the lane from
    the 1st or 2nd board on the left hand side all the way to the 1 board on
    the right hand side if you really want to learn to play any part of the lane
    and become a better bowler.

You should learn to break back your wrist and throw the ball straight at
    single pin spares and sometimes it helps to throw the ball straight on the
    dryer lanes when a hook ball is just hooking way too much.

Over the years I have taught myself to be able to play any part of the lane
    on just about any condition like tonight we went out to get some practice
    time in and the lanes hadn't been oiled since last week. Well to say my ball
    was hooking to much would be an understatement well I pulled out the plastic
    spare ball and lofted the left gutter cap and played between the 5th and 6th
    arrows out to the 5th board to hit the pocket on the right hand side so that
    just goes to show you that you need to learn to play anywhere on the lanes.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Chats: 23

Howmuch do you guys think i can get for my freeze hybrid? i got it about a month ago and 14lbs might be a bit heavy for me.

Chats: 131

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Hello and welcome to the boards. Now I'm ready to offer my advice and have you and everyone else shake their heads in disbelief.
    1. Don't slow anything down. As you increase your revs that will naturally lower your speed to a point and all of it will increase as you improve with it.
    2. Learn to play the inside part of the ball, like Sean Rash, Chris Barnes and Tommy Jones. In your stance rotate your ball hand clockwise so your ring finger is around the 9-10:00 position and cup your wrist about 45 degrees.
    3. During the swing maintain your current swing plane BUT keep your hand INSIDE the ball. Keep your wrist in the cupped position as much as possible
    4. As your hand comes perpendicular (90 degree angle) to the floor, rotate your middle finger and ring finger counter-clockwise to around the 6:00 position while uncupping your wrist. The faster you can accomplish this the greater the rev rate. While doing all this you want your thumb to exit while uncupping and let the ball roll off the end of your fingers.
    5. Follow through. Have your follow through go out in front of you about head high. The old way of by your ear or over the head works well when playing a straighter line to the pocket.

Any acceleration of the arm should take place during the last part of the swing, from where the arm gets to 90 degrees from the floor through the follow through.

P.S. Try playing with a laydown at 25 and across the third arrow with a break point around the 10 board.

There are easier releases and plenty of drills for them but with what I saw I see no reason why you can't use an elite release using a part of the ball only the better players can use. Given you say you have a 150ish average your spare game must need some massive work.
    as expected from Bill!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

In the Bag:
    DV8: Hell Raiser Revenge, Diva
    Columbia300: White Dot Black Berry Polyester
    Brunswick: NeXXus f(P+R)
    Substitute Balls:
    Storm: Sure Fire
    Ebonite: Pursuit
    Retired:
    Lane 1: MaxXx Curve
    Current High Score / Series: 237 / 635
    Style: Power Tweener
    Average Score: 180

Aim for Balls:
    Misfit Pearl
    Marauder
    Brutal Nightmare

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Given the way you are handling it in the videos it is not too heavy for you. However, that ball is meant for drier conditions. If you go to www.bowlingball.com they have the balls all rated with a perfect scale which lets you know what type of conditions the ball works best on. The higher the number the more oil the ball likes. For a typical house shot during league a ball rated around 180 usually works best for the majority of bowlers. Balls with a polished finish and symmetrical cores are what I recommend for people just getting back into league bowling. They clear the heads clean and have smoother hooks with a controlled reaction compared to matte, dull or sanded balls with asymmetrical cores.
    The Storm Frantic, DV8 Reckless, Brunswick Versa-Max are all good, polished symmetrical balls that will open the lanes up quite a bit for you.

With your Freeze try standing at 20 (middle dot), throw it over the second arrow (10) with a break point around 5. If you miss right then move your feet right two boards at a time keeping the target the same. take some of your practice sessions and just work on standing one place and hitting a mark ten boards to the right (with your first ball). Don't worry about pin count. This will help with accuracy playing the entire lane. Once you cross the middle, with every two boards you move your feet, move your target 1. You will leave a lot of pins so the second ball line up where you want and work on converting your spares. Good luck.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloPD View Post
    Hey guys thanks for all the response, i currently start at the 30th board and target the 3rd arrow. howmany boards should i move to the right and what arrow to target?

I actually really want to stay in the middle and get a lot of hook but im not getting a lot of it. is it because how my ball was drilled? should i change it?
    You may not have a ball that is strong enough for the lane conditions to play where you want to play. A big part of this game is to figure out where the lane is going to let you play. I've seen some very talented bowlers struggle in the sport league because they get an idea that the pattern should be played a certain way and they just won't adjust their line.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    You may not have a ball that is strong enough for the lane conditions to play where you want to play. A big part of this game is to figure out where the lane is going to let you play. I've seen some very talented bowlers struggle in the sport league because they get an idea that the pattern should be played a certain way and they just won't adjust their line.
    Thats what im thinking the freeze will only move on so much and depending on his rev rate and speed he may need something more aggressive and its true There was a video of PDW shooting 300 in a team tournament recently and the reason was because he had a look on the inside of the lane that others didnt and werent playing.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

I wouldn't sell the Freeze. First, it's probably not worth much at all. Second, I would be willing to bet that someday, you will need it, even as just a practice ball. I still have my freeze, and if I'm going to bowl for fun with friends, at an unfamiliar alley, I bring the Freeze.
    Trying not to suck, one day at a time.

Chats: 891

angelo dont sell your freeze cause one of these days the lanes might be dry or something and u will need it i still have mine thats pin down and i also have my too reckless pin up soo if the freeze over hooks i grab it dont think that u wont work cause there will be a lane condtion where u will need it and if u sell it and dont got it your games will end up getting low due to the ball v0oer hooking.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

like they said dont sell it it will come in handy just consider getting another ball thats stronger but be ready to move around. You can make the freeze work but it will take more effort (slowing speed changing lines adding revs) and if your not that versatile then it will be hard no offense.

Chats: 23

I'm probably going to get a DV8 hellraiser revenge, heard alot of good reviews and saw tons of videos. The league i joined will start in two weeks, you guys think i have enough time to practice with the DV8?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast