Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Looking for advice!

Bowl1820 * originally posted the video
    In my bag: Roto Grip Haywire, Ebonite Cyclone Gamebreaker, Brunswick danger zone vintage, Brunswick C-system Maxxed out and Columbia WD. High Game 300 (x3) high series 790...still searching for the 800.

Chats: 23

My wrist hurts after a couple games of bowling, any ideas why?

Chats: 326

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloPD View Post
    My wrist hurts after a couple games of bowling, any ideas why?
    To put it simply, the way you are bowling is strenuous on your wrist. The ball could be too heavy for you as well. Some people here might be able to give you a better answer than I can, but all I'd suggest is to build up your wrist strength or learn to throw it differently so you won't put as much stress on your wrist. I'd also suggest a wrist brace.

JaMau, can you explain how my bowling is strenuous on my wrist? i would like to get better at bowling and reduce my wrist pain after couple of games

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

Ok, so without a better video or looking at your hand and ball drilling, here are some common reasons for wrist pain.

1: Ball is too heavy, or thumb hole is too big, so you have to clench your hand to not drop the ball.

2: Finger and thumb hole pitches are not far enough away. Old school pro shop drillers will still put an under-pitch to the fingers, and this can cause serious pain in the back of the hand and wrist for people who don't have very flexible fingers.

3: Over cupping of the wrist (not your problem) can cause for a lot of tension and force to be put on the wrist.

4: Not staying behind the ball can cause wrist pain too, but not nearly as often. If your wrist gets over the top of the ball at any point, it creates pressure on the wrist. This pain will usually manifest in the inside of your arm, instead of where your tendens and muscles are on the back of your wrist.

If I had to make an educated guess, I would look into the drilling angles first. I choose this, because you don't set the ball down in the same place twice in that entire video it seems. Some you drop early, some look real good, and some you are missing the bottom of the swing on. That can also be caused by the same thing. Just on a personal note, I used to have pain in the back of my hand and top of my wrist while bowling too. I wore a brace for awhile, but you don't want to wear a brace for good. It should be used to help heal, not as a crutch. The thing that relieved my pain was to stop using finger inserts. By drilling my fingers into the ball, it lowered the angle that the rest of my finger was at when I had my fingers in the hole.(not pitch of the hole). It really helped me, and now I have no wrist pain, and bowl better because I don't have to baby my wrist the whole time.
    Daniel Mareina
    Storm Staff Member
    Bowling Center Manager/Pro Shop Operator/Bowling Coach

Chats: 326

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloPD View Post
    JaMau, can you explain how my bowling is strenuous on my wrist? i would like to get better at bowling and reduce my wrist pain after couple of games
    Daniel did a great job explaining what it could be, but like he said, without seeing a video, it's tough to tell you exactly why it is hurting.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed you had a video on the first page of this thread... I'll check it out now.

EDIT2: Ok, well after watching the video, I can't see anything that would be making your wrist hurt. You look like a guy who could handle a heavy ball too. So, like Daniel said, maybe your squeezing the ball tight instead of just effortlessly throwing it. That could be because your thumb hole is too big, or it could be that your thumb hole is fine, and you're still squeezing it. If you aren't doing that, I would consider getting a wrist brace. It doesn't have to be a big expensive one.
    Last edited by JaMau24; 08-21-2012 at 01:11 PM.

I have a wrist brace that i used since i was a kid, but my problem is im griping my thumb throughout the swing. I ordered a shur-cushion from bowlingball.com and also i asked for Ron Clifton's Magic Carpet to sample.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234