Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice!

Chats: 23

Default Looking for advice!

Hey guys i've been lurking here for quite a while now. i first started bowling when i was 10 and continued to play till i was 13 (180+ average) and i was in a league with my parents but i stopped at that age. After 6 years of not playing, i wanted to play again and now my current average is about 150+. I'm looking for some advice so i can increase my revs and average to 200+.

Here is the ball that i'm currently using, 14lbs Freeze Hybrid by Columbia 300

And here are couple shots of me bowling

Edit:

Update on Page 3, post #27
    Last edited by AngeloPD; 08-15-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Here is the same video but with Slow motion of my release
    Last edited by AngeloPD; 08-13-2012 at 05:23 AM.

Chats: 891

umm i can say one thing your your is good but your playing way to much up middle you should move over to the right abit with the freeze i go up 10 with my freeze and i hit the pocket most of the time the other bit over hooks but to get more revs on the ball you should get your hand under the ball.

like at your starting stance cup your hand and jsut release abit of the cup on the backswing but keep your hand cuped for as long as u can will take some time but this will help you get under the ball more and then u will beable to do other shots where u wont have to cup your hands at the start and u will beable to bring your hands under ball.

but mostly everything else when u throw was good your balance was 50/50 someitmes u lsot balance but that was all on your spares like u where trying to throw it faster for spares u should just come up from behind the ball it will hook but enoph for u to make the spare.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Chats: 131

Firstly, Welcome to the Board! I believe you will get good advices from here like how I did and improved on.
    Secondly, KUDOS TO YOU FOR BEING ABLE TO PLAY WITH CHILDREN ON YOUR RIGHT! ( I would have flared for sure..)
    Thirdly, like what striker has said, your playing too much middle with I believe has more oil than the sides.. So if you want to get more hook, it's best to start on the 2nd arrow from the right as it will has lesser oil compared to the middle and the ball will be able to enter with a more smoother angular hook.
    Thats all from a noob like me >_< hope more pros will come in and share with you their point of view!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

In the Bag:
    DV8: Hell Raiser Revenge, Diva
    Columbia300: White Dot Black Berry Polyester
    Brunswick: NeXXus f(P+R)
    Substitute Balls:
    Storm: Sure Fire
    Ebonite: Pursuit
    Retired:
    Lane 1: MaxXx Curve
    Current High Score / Series: 237 / 635
    Style: Power Tweener
    Average Score: 180

Aim for Balls:
    Misfit Pearl
    Marauder
    Brutal Nightmare

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 136

How could you play with those children constantly jumping up and down and staying near or on your lane?
    You have good form but just as Striker said, you do look like your losing balance on your spare shots, try to use the "broken wrist" technique for throwing it straight at single pins or clustered pins. It gives at max 1 board hook. It's meant to make the ball go straight into your target. I started playing more in the middle, but I'm 2 handed bowler, and I'm aiming at the 2nd or 3rd arrow. For more hook try playing more of the right, and rotating your wrist to the right before releasing the ball and then push forward for more speed.

I think you have great form and like striker said just need to change your line. Now if the ball isnt moving on another line it could also be the lane condition the freeze hybrid is a medium-dry oil lane condition ball. Like martinez said you should try to maintain balance at the line for spares and first shots, to do that make sure the left arm doesnt snap behind your back try and keep it extended outward or find your own way to maintaining your balance. You seem to throw the ball hard also from how it looks so if you want to try and drop the speed lower the ball at set up and slow your feet down. Its hard to tell but it looks like you have a slight arm bend in your swing and cant tell if u drop the ball. Otherwise like i said really great form great follow through.

Hey guys thanks for all the response, i currently start at the 30th board and target the 3rd arrow. howmany boards should i move to the right and what arrow to target?

I actually really want to stay in the middle and get a lot of hook but im not getting a lot of it. is it because how my ball was drilled? should i change it?
    Last edited by AngeloPD; 08-13-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

I can't tell for sure, but are those house shoes? If so, invest in a good pair of shoes. Your balance could improve alot with a good pair of shoes that have a consistant slide. If they aren't house shoes, then just ignore what I said.
    Trying not to suck, one day at a time.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Hello and welcome to the boards. Now I'm ready to offer my advice and have you and everyone else shake their heads in disbelief.
    1. Don't slow anything down. As you increase your revs that will naturally lower your speed to a point and all of it will increase as you improve with it.
    2. Learn to play the inside part of the ball, like Sean Rash, Chris Barnes and Tommy Jones. In your stance rotate your ball hand clockwise so your ring finger is around the 9-10:00 position and cup your wrist about 45 degrees.
    3. During the swing maintain your current swing plane BUT keep your hand INSIDE the ball. Keep your wrist in the cupped position as much as possible
    4. As your hand comes perpendicular (90 degree angle) to the floor, rotate your middle finger and ring finger counter-clockwise to around the 6:00 position while uncupping your wrist. The faster you can accomplish this the greater the rev rate. While doing all this you want your thumb to exit while uncupping and let the ball roll off the end of your fingers.
    5. Follow through. Have your follow through go out in front of you about head high. The old way of by your ear or over the head works well when playing a straighter line to the pocket.

Any acceleration of the arm should take place during the last part of the swing, from where the arm gets to 90 degrees from the floor through the follow through.

P.S. Try playing with a laydown at 25 and across the third arrow with a break point around the 10 board.

There are easier releases and plenty of drills for them but with what I saw I see no reason why you can't use an elite release using a part of the ball only the better players can use. Given you say you have a 150ish average your spare game must need some massive work.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Hello and welcome to the boards. Now I'm ready to offer my advice and have you and everyone else shake their heads in disbelief.
    1. Don't slow anything down. As you increase your revs that will naturally lower your speed to a point and all of it will increase as you improve with it.
    2. Learn to play the inside part of the ball, like Sean Rash, Chris Barnes and Tommy Jones. In your stance rotate your ball hand clockwise so your ring finger is around the 9-10:00 position and cup your wrist about 45 degrees.
    3. During the swing maintain your current swing plane BUT keep your hand INSIDE the ball. Keep your wrist in the cupped position as much as possible
    4. As your hand comes perpendicular (90 degree angle) to the floor, rotate your middle finger and ring finger counter-clockwise to around the 6:00 position while uncupping your wrist. The faster you can accomplish this the greater the rev rate. While doing all this you want your thumb to exit while uncupping and let the ball roll off the end of your fingers.
    5. Follow through. Have your follow through go out in front of you about head high. The old way of by your ear or over the head works well when playing a straighter line to the pocket.

Any acceleration of the arm should take place during the last part of the swing, from where the arm gets to 90 degrees from the floor through the follow through.

P.S. Try playing with a laydown at 25 and across the third arrow with a break point around the 10 board.

There are easier releases and plenty of drills for them but with what I saw I see no reason why you can't use an elite release using a part of the ball only the better players can use. Given you say you have a 150ish average your spare game must need some massive work.
    Thanks for your reply, will try all this when i bowl in the next few days.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast