Thread: Cal State Long Beach (College)

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 136

Default Cal State Long Beach (College)

I emailed CSLB to hear about their bowling program, and the requirements to join, and they replied.
    Here is the conversation we had,

Hey Samuel,

I am glad to see your interest in the bowling team!
    The bowling team has been a club sport at CSULB since at least 2001. The team participates in tournaments against other colleges throughout the western United States. We usually participate in about 8-9 tournaments a year.
    Participating in the bowling team is by far the best school experience I have had. If I wasn't a part of the team I'm not sure I would even still be going to school right now. Some of my best friends are people that I've met from the bowling team. The bowling trips always prove to be lots of fun and provide a terrific escape from the stresses that the school year can bring.
    The only requirements for joining the bowling team are paying dues, being a qualifying student, and participating. The dues are only $50 per year, however, the gas and food from the trips are the responsibility of each member. You must be a full-time student with at least 12 units and a 2.0 GPA.
    I am a bit of a phone nerd, and have been wanting to learn more about programming software. I haven't looked into it at school though. Do you know what kind of software engineering you wish to go in to? I'm thinking something like computer technology... Unfortunately the bowling team cannot offer any scholarships to students. I'm unsure if you are able to get any grants and/or scholarships from CSULB. Just to clarify, you are a senior in High School this upcoming year and you wish to join college in Fall of 2013?
    Here is a link to an email I have received about bowling scholarships. Hopefully some of these scholarships can apply to you. http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....3ZjrixWg%3D%3D
    I look forward to hearing back from you. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Ryan

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Samuel Martinez <martinezsam2495@yahoo.com> wrote:
    I am a Senior in Bell High School, and I am planning on attending this college, I have a 3.3 G.P.A. and want to major in Software Engineering. I am interesting in being in the bowling team as well. My league average at the moment is 170. I know I have potential and with coaching I could be a great bowler. I would like to know if there are any scholarships for Seniors in High School that want to be in the bowling team at Cal Sate Long Beach.
    Thanks in advance
    Sincerely a dedicated Bowler and Student.
    Samuel Martinez

Chats: 0

Thats cool. Good luck becoming a college bowler.
    High game: 232/High series 587. Arsenal: Hammer Backlash, Tzone Catchphrase: Those pins just got smoked (followed by the double hand pistols) Catchphrase performed rate: 0%
    Faceplants on alley: 2 Reason for signature: everyone here has really fancy ones.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 136

Thank you, I wont' be there until fall comes around again.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Sam, get some good video of you bowling this year. A highlight reel if you will. Have league games, tournaments, whatever you can find to include. Look up the bowling coach and athletic director of the colleges you with to attend. Write them a letter with a copy of your highlight DVD. In the letter state why you want to attend that school and want to bowl for that coach. Yes, it's a letter of butt kissing but it works. There are many colleges that offer bowling scholarships. I will be honest though; your chances to obtain one would be greatly increased if your high school had a bowling team and you won the individual state title or at least top ten. You may not know this but a school may offer you to join as a Freshman without a scholarship but give you one later. This happens for fringe players and the coaches are looking to see how coachable the athlete is and the attitude.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Good luck Sam, i hope you get in !