Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoes do they really matter?

I have a pair of dexters. i just didnt know if it made a difference. i understand the sliding. i need to look more into it. i saw the sst'7s and they looked really nice. so i will have to see what i do with this.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by itstyler View Post
    Thank you bowl1820 i will keep that in mind. any kind you really recommend. and what is the difference between 50 dollar and 100 dollar shoes?
    Not being a shoe manufacturer and not knowing what the prices are in your area I can only give a general answer.

The least expensive shoes are like the ones that you rent from the bowling center. Both shoes have slide soles. They are great for ambidextrous bowlers who can't make up their minds which hand to use, and fine for bowlers who just like to go and throw a few games now and then.
    The next range is for pairs where one shoe has a slide sole and the other has a traction sole. These are good for the majority of league bowlers who bowl 95% of their games at the same center. The exceptions would be if the center is poorly maintained and you never know if the approaches will be sticky or slick.
    The top of the lines are the shoes with interchangeable soles. Some only allow you to adjust the amount of friction on the slide shoe. Others, like Dexter SST8s, let you adjust the traction shoe as well. These are really useful for serious bowlers bowl at many different centers.
    Personally, I use a cheap pair for practice and warm ups so I can alternate right-handed and left-handed. Then I switch to the SST8s for the games that count.
    John

thanks john. thats actually a good idea and i will look into it.

Chats: 0

I had a pair of the Dexter sst 5 and they were good shoes for a little while. I like the sst8!

I would suggest interchangeable soles for two reasons one approaches are different from house to house if you are bowling somewhere with a tackier approach then you can just slap a different sole on and your good to go and 2 if you step in something wet you can just switch the soles out and clean the sole later
    I wear Dexter SST 8's and have had these shoes for 5 years I just buy replacement soles and heels about once a year. The shoes have held up very well and look like they will last a lot longer.
    USBC #9327-540
    In the Bag:
    Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Brunswick Mastermind Genisu, Roto Grip Asylum and Ebonite Maxim
    Final Book Averages for Fall:192 Current averages in Summer: PBA 182, Tuesday 202, Thursday 205

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by tccstudent View Post
    if you are bowling somewhere with a tackier approach then you can just slap a different sole on and your good to go and 2 if you step in something wet you can just switch the soles out and clean the sole later
    Or just powder the sole.

I bought 3 pairs of shoes on Ebay. My Brunswick Hawks were very comfortable. The Dexters (white, Ricky II) I'm wearing now are a little tight…but are fine. And I have another pair of Ricky IIs in my closet that are black but I haven't tried them yet. The white Ricky IIs I have right now are a 9.5 2W and seem tight. So I bought a pair of size 10…but they are 10M (medium). So we'll see if the width is okay.

I can get barely worn bowling shoes on Ebay for like $17-$29 shipped…I can't see spending $75-$200 for a pair of bowling shoes. I haven't noticed much difference in "performance" from shoe to shoe…just fit/comfort. The Ricky/Ricky II/Ricky III shoes are sort of an industry standard and fairly inexpensive even new. But I liked the Brunswick Hawks a little better…just seemed higher quality and more comfortable.

Chats: 204

But I do recommend to every bowler at the beginner to early intermediate level to get shoes. Whether on Ebay or whatever…you can save SO much CASH if you have your own shoes. They pay for themselves almost immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Or just powder the sole.
    Doing this gets powder on the approach and affects the other bowlers and this is not legal to do. What you can do is use cigarette ashes (old skool) this works as good as powder but does not affect the other bowlers or soapstone
    USBC #9327-540
    In the Bag:
    Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Brunswick Mastermind Genisu, Roto Grip Asylum and Ebonite Maxim
    Final Book Averages for Fall:192 Current averages in Summer: PBA 182, Tuesday 202, Thursday 205

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by tccstudent View Post
    Doing this gets powder on the approach and affects the other bowlers and this is not legal to do. What you can do is use cigarette ashes (old skool) this works as good as powder but does not affect the other bowlers or soapstone
    Cigarette ashes are a "foreign substance" and not necessarily legal either. (Plus with so many places banning smoking inside having a ready supply would be difficult)

The Rule:
    Rule 12 – Approaches Must Not Be Defaced
    The application of any foreign substance on any part of the approach that detracts from the possibility
    of other players having normal conditions is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, talcum
    powder, pumice and resin on shoes, and/or soft rubber soles or heels that rub off on the approach.

Now Powder if used properly can be used and not get on the approach.

(Put the powder on the sole, rub around. Then brush it off with a wire brush, then tap sole on the floor to shake of any remaining residue.)

a safe legal option is a bowlers sock.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

We had a guy in one of my league who would just pour powder on the floor and step in it right before he got up on the approach. He got chewed out and was forced to quit doing that after someone got hurt after slipping on the approach.
    While cigarette ashes are a foreign substance I have been told they do not alter the approaches.
    In my experience most people don't brush the powder into their soles and are therefore using the powder illegally
    About the only time I use powder is if I step in something wet to quickly dry them out
    USBC #9327-540
    In the Bag:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast