Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally bought the Reckless

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

If you are going to continue using two hands, then you do not need to change to a fingertip grip. If you are serious about converting from 2 handed to 3 fingers (as I am ) then you should go fingertip. I have two balls set up for two handing, and I do not like using finger tips in those balls. Either conventional, or semi fingertip works best when I bowl two handed. Also, Belmo uses conventional, and I think he know what he's doing. If your two handing, you don't need the extra revs fingertips give you. I have 4 balls set up for 3 finger, and they are all fingertip. As far as where to stand with 3 fingers as opposed to two handed, that's hard to say. When I first started my conversion, I had no revs. Now, with practice, and working on how to cup my wrist, I have more revs one handed now than I used too. Two months ago, I had to stand 8-10 boards right (I'm a righty) of where I stand two handed. Now, I am as little as two to three boards futher right. While I've had my setbacks, and doubts (check out the I can't win thread to see how many times I flip flopped), I have not given up on one handed. The best peice of advice I can give you, don't change cause the pro shop guy told you. Convert if you want to, but don't let anyone tell you what you are doing is wrong. A lot of people have a negative opinion of two handed, some will tell you, some will lie to yor face, then laugh when you turn your back. I can tell you no one who has to bowl against them is laughing at Belmo, and Osku. People over the years have tried to convert them, but I would say they are happy they stayed with it. Again, if you do want to convert, go for it, and if you need any advice from someone who knows exactly what your going through, don't be afraid to ask me.
    Trying not to suck, one day at a time.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Belmo started 2 handing when he was too small to get any speed. Osku is such an athlete he could score with any style he wants. If you are going to 2 hand, learn to control the rotation and the revs. In bowling there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Thumbless and 2 handed are two styles I can't do and damnit, I'm not happy about it! lol Too old and crippled.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 136

Quote Originally Posted by RoccoRock View Post
    If you are going to continue using two hands, then you do not need to change to a fingertip grip. If you are serious about converting from 2 handed to 3 fingers (as I am ) then you should go fingertip. I have two balls set up for two handing, and I do not like using finger tips in those balls. Either conventional, or semi fingertip works best when I bowl two handed. Also, Belmo uses conventional, and I think he know what he's doing. If your two handing, you don't need the extra revs fingertips give you. I have 4 balls set up for 3 finger, and they are all fingertip. As far as where to stand with 3 fingers as opposed to two handed, that's hard to say. When I first started my conversion, I had no revs. Now, with practice, and working on how to cup my wrist, I have more revs one handed now than I used too. Two months ago, I had to stand 8-10 boards right (I'm a righty) of where I stand two handed. Now, I am as little as two to three boards futher right. While I've had my setbacks, and doubts (check out the I can't win thread to see how many times I flip flopped), I have not given up on one handed. The best peice of advice I can give you, don't change cause the pro shop guy told you. Convert if you want to, but don't let anyone tell you what you are doing is wrong. A lot of people have a negative opinion of two handed, some will tell you, some will lie to yor face, then laugh when you turn your back. I can tell you no one who has to bowl against them is laughing at Belmo, and Osku. People over the years have tried to convert them, but I would say they are happy they stayed with it. Again, if you do want to convert, go for it, and if you need any advice from someone who knows exactly what your going through, don't be afraid to ask me.
    I'm sticking with 2 fingers right now,
    I've noticed all the time I was doing 2 hand I wasn't using the skip step involved,
    taking away potential power and revs,
    but I'm averaging 145 with the Reckless,
    As for my dad's ball 160,
    Conventional to Fingertip was a pretty big change for me, as I can tell I have more revs than I used too.

Ringer
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Belmo started 2 handing when he was too small to get any speed. Osku is such an athlete he could score with any style he wants. If you are going to 2 hand, learn to control the rotation and the revs. In bowling there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Thumbless and 2 handed are two styles I can't do and damnit, I'm not happy about it! lol Too old and crippled.
    2 fingers requires you to gain strength with your wrist, and then it's just learning to throw the ball with power, not necessarily speed.
    All you have to do is find a line you like, and you can control where to throw it at, now all you have to do is pay attention to the small details. I'm going to start doing that, and take a memo pad when I hit the lanes. When you have an unbalance of revs with speed, I learned this.
    More Revs Less Speed At the pocket = 2, 7, 10 Split (A couple of times) Some Strikes
    More Speed than Revs At the Pocket = Mainly the 7 pin, occasionally the 10 pin, but most of the time a strike
    Now I need to learn how to keep the same axis rotation each time I throw the ball, control the speed and revs and hit my mark.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martinezsam2495 View Post
    I'm sticking with 2 fingers right now,
    I've noticed all the time I was doing 2 hand I wasn't using the skip step involved,
    taking away potential power and revs,
    but I'm averaging 145 with the Reckless,
    As for my dad's ball 160,
    Conventional to Fingertip was a pretty big change for me, as I can tell I have more revs than I used too.
    I have the opposite issue. I have a skip step, no matter what delivery I use. I've watched videos of me from 2 years ago, before I ever trew a ball two handed, I used a skip step. I have seen a video on youtube of a guy who didn't use a skip step two handed. He was super smooth, didn't have a lot of power, but he had a lot of control. He is one of the few guys I've ever seen bowl two handed who I think can bowl that way for a very long time.

Ringer
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RoccoRock View Post
    I have the opposite issue. I have a skip step, no matter what delivery I use. I've watched videos of me from 2 years ago, before I ever trew a ball two handed, I used a skip step. I have seen a video on youtube of a guy who didn't use a skip step two handed. He was super smooth, didn't have a lot of power, but he had a lot of control. He is one of the few guys I've ever seen bowl two handed who I think can bowl that way for a very long time.
    you don't need a skip step technically, but it's how belmo and osku shoot the ball at high speeds and revs.
    really? How'd you bowl with 3 fingers?

Blog Entries

you don't need a skip step technically, but it's how belmo and osku shoot the ball at high speeds and revs.
    really? How'd you bowl with 3 fingers?
    It's more of a shuffle I guess. I'm not the only one I know who skips, or shuffles even with a "normal" 3 finger delivery. The guy in my league who has the highest average, he does it too. In fact he skippes even more than I do. The latest incarnation of my delivery, there is no more skip. I have slowed my feet down a lot, and that took the skip out. As far as the skip step generating power, and revs, yes it does give more power. The revs though, no matter what your feet do, without a thumb in the ball you are going to generate massive revs. Power is not everything. When I two handed, I only threw it 17mph or so, and that was pleny fast enough. Back to the subject of the grips, when I used 2 fingers I started out by fingertipping. Last year I switched to conventional, and that's when my season turned for the better. 5 out of 6 weeks over 600, my highest games, and series all season all in the last 10 weeks.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

2 fingers requires you to gain strength with your wrist, and then it's just learning to throw the ball with power, not necessarily speed.
    All you have to do is find a line you like, and you can control where to throw it at, now all you have to do is pay attention to the small details. I'm going to start doing that, and take a memo pad when I hit the lanes. When you have an unbalance of revs with speed, I learned this.
    More Revs Less Speed At the pocket = 2, 7, 10 Split (A couple of times) Some Strikes
    More Speed than Revs At the Pocket = Mainly the 7 pin, occasionally the 10 pin, but most of the time a strike
    Now I need to learn how to keep the same axis rotation each time I throw the ball, control the speed and revs and hit my mark.
    Strength isn't an issue. I can already play with power and usually do. Like tonight, played 25 to 15 with a break at 5 (44 foot house shot), 22-24 mph at the 45-50' mark with enough revs to come crashing back to the pocket. I even broke the cup off the rack for the 7 pin. Broke another pin tonight too. I had a ton more speed and revs than the 2 hander I was up against. I burned up his line instead of the other way around. Stroker style last week, power cranker this week. Game three I moved my feet right 5 boards, kept the rest the same and used urethane.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12