Thread: Need Ball Selection Help

Default Need Ball Selection Help

Quick Background: I am a 168 average, right handed, lots of revs, slow speed (13-14mph average) bowler.

So here’s the scoop. I had a 13 pound Big Blue Pearl (pearl coverstock with a gasmask core) a few years ago and I loved it. It had a nice straight line through the early part of the lane, and then it had a very strong backend that went right into the pocket. It would just store up all the revs and then crush the pocket late, it was awesome. I could stand just to the left of center and throw the ball between the 3 and 2 arrows (I’m right handed) and the ball would hit the pocket. Unfortunately that ball got a huge crack in it and I had to get a new one.

The guys at a local pro shop steered me towards a Hammer Arson. This ball does not have the same motion through the lane that I was used to with the Big Blue, so now I am struggling to hit the pocket. If I throw the same as I used to with my Big Blue the ball ends up way left and usually misses the head pin altogether. To hit the pocket I have to stand way left, walking into the 2nd dot and throw the ball way way outside. This ball just plays way too much of the lane for me. I just don’t like throwing such an extreme angle towards the gutter as I feel I am less consistent when I throw this way.

So, I am looking at a new ball again trying to find something that has a similar line as the Big Blue with the same strong back end. I have been recommended the Hammer Nail, the Hammer Vibe, and a Storm Tropical Breeze. The pro at another shop is recommending the Breeze, but I am concerned that it will weaken my hook to the point where I am not getting the entry angle I want. The other pro I have talked to recommends the Hammers, but I am concerned with those as the Diff is the same on a 13lb ball as it is on the Arson I currently roll with.

I know this is a lot of information to go through, but can anyone give me some advice here? I don't know a ton about the Diff and how much impact that really has, so any help would be appreciated. I just don't want to buy another ball and end up regretting it.

Thanks!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I'm surprised they didn't suggest the Arson Pearl since you were replacing a pearl ball. Judging by the 'Perfect Score' numbers it would still be a little stronger than your old ball. None of the suggested balls look any where near as strong as the Big Blue Pearl.
    John

That's what I was sort of thinking too J. The guys at the pro shops seem to put a lot of value in the Diff number. My Arson has a Diff of .055 and the Nail and the Vibe have the same Diff, that seems to worry the guys at the shop. I am wondering if he is placing too much value on the Diff without thinking about the coverstock.

I do worry that the Arson Pearl would still be too much for my style of throw.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 136

why don't you look at other manufacturers like, DV8?

I briefly looked at the DV8 balls and all of them seemed to be overly aggressive. On bowlingball.com all the DV8 balls have a "perfect scale" equal to or greater than the Arson that I am currently struggling with. That concerns me. I also just have a tendency towards Hammers for some reason. I like them generally.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

All the info I can find on the Hammer Blue Pearl says it was a urethane ball. If that's the case then all the reactive resin balls they are all suggesting would be much, much stronger.
    I would suggest the Hammer Midnight Vibe. It's reactive resin but not nearly as strong as many others. It's also advertised as having "Deadly Backend Move". Symmetrical core, polished cover and a very reasonable price through bowlingball.com of $83.99

I'm a huge DV8 guy but would not suggest one for you at this point. As your research has shown, they are extremely aggressive but can be tamed
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    All the info I can find on the Hammer Blue Pearl says it was a urethane ball.
    The Big Blue Pearl is Asymmetrical core Particle Pearl. Close to that in today's balls would be a Lane Master's High Standard though it has a symmetrical core.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

bowl1820 is right, it had a particle pearl cover. Although I have been recommended the Grape Vibe by one of the pro shop guys.

I am definitely leaning towards the Hammer Nail right now, but I need to go and have the pro watch me throw to see if he would recommend it.

Thanks for the responses fellas, I appreciate it. If anyone has any more input, I'd be happy to hear it!