Thread: Recreational bowlers ball advice

Default Recreational bowlers ball advice

My husband and I are recreational bowlers, I am thinking about purchasing our own balls. I have one that is about 28 years old, it is a Columbia 300 I believe. I was looking at the Brunswick slingshot, I really need to keep costs down. Can anyone give me any advice on if this is a good choice or if there is another about the same price that would be good? We both struggle to hit 100 per game right now. I noticed when looking at bowlingball.com that some weights are listed as generic core, what does this mean?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by JustMom1215 View Post
    My husband and I are recreational bowlers, I am thinking about purchasing our own balls. I have one that is about 28 years old, it is a Columbia 300 I believe. I was looking at the Brunswick slingshot, I really need to keep costs down. Can anyone give me any advice on if this is a good choice or if there is another about the same price that would be good? We both struggle to hit 100 per game right now. I noticed when looking at bowlingball.com that some weights are listed as generic core, what does this mean?
    Many pro shops will offer a ball, bag and shoe package for about $100. The ball would be a plastic one with a 'pancake' weight block, and drilling is generally included so the ball will fit your hand better than an alley ball. this would be fine for learning the basics of the game. You might even learn to throw a modest hook with one.

With more expensive balls the core is designed to help the ball do certain things, like hook more, hook later or hook earlier. The coverstock has the greatest influence on ball motion but the core matters too. Lighter weight balls tend to have a generic core instead of the high tech ones so the feeling is that you're getting gypped if you buy a high performance ball with the generic core.

The Slingshot is considered a very good ball to start out with too, its probably only a little more money than a basic plastic ball.
    John

Cranker
    Chats: 7

I would suggest checking your local bowling alleys as they sometimes have a ball league(Slingshot or Cyclone)that they give either at start of or after league. Or check your local proshop to see what they offer in bowling ball packages.

Zothen

Cranker
    Chats: 7

A generic core is usually the same core made out of a light weight material,but,has same coverstock as the 14-16lbs balls.

Zothen

Chats: 0

The slingshot is a very good starter ball. It's just aggressive enough, that if thrown correctly you should get a good roll from it. Try to stick with a 12 pound ball or higher as the 10 & 11 pound balls have a generic core. The core will help the ball to push thru the pins harder. My wife bought one when they first came out and really likes it.
    For the price you can't beat it.

Bob