Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bowling the blind team

Question bowling the blind team

Any leagues have an odd number of teams? By accepting an 11th team, we established a weekly dilemma. bowling the blind team ---and rather than take the 4 wins and allow bowlers to goof off and sandbag, we have implemented the "blind" team that bowls your personal average, so that your team gets credit for wins only if they bowl well. However, it is hard to get amped to bowl against yourself. Bowlers might turn in a sheet that is less than their best, playing against competition that can't beat you unless you beat yourself.

personally, I think the blind week should just be practice and not count towards league standings it should just be a non-event for averages and wins/losses. or, we also may even consider allowing the blind week to be a week off from bowling for one team, which could even be scheduled in advance for family vacations or other obligations. have your leagues ever experienced the blind team conundrum, and how do you handle it?

Chats: 891

well that cant do well cause think of it one team gets off the rest of the teams will get pts but the blind team has to beat there own avg to get pts but it has to be in series per game in overal soo 1 person can beat there avg by 40pin and 2 tie there avg and 1 gets 39 pins below his avg they jsut went +1 in that series soo they get the pts.

i dont fully under stand that but thats how it works it should be cause theres 4 people on each tema sometimes 5 at least every player has to beat ther avg at least 2 times ion 4 games or 1 time in 3 game for them to score 6 pts but if 1 misseds there avg in any 3 games they lose some pts that how it should be.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Cranker
    Chats: 7

Yes we have had blind teams! The reason they implemented the beat the blind team by bowling your avg,is so people don't sandbag,you know what that is don't you? It's where people who want to goof off,have 3 horrible games and then have a higher handicap the following week when their amped up to bowl 3 great games. We had this problem and that is why we went to having to bowl your avg. This makes it fair for everyone!

Zothen

Thumbs up

Our house uses 100% of 200 handicap for most leagues. Blinds are always bowled as 190. (so you don't leave some bowlers at home and gain an edge over another team)

So the Blind team is 760. 4x190.

It is a reasonable expectation that your team has to bowl very close to their handicap to get a win. Sandbagging is negated and it feels like a true night of competition.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by thwacking View Post
    Any leagues have an odd number of teams?By accepting an 11th team, we established a weekly dilemma. bowling the blind team ---and rather than take the 4 wins and allow bowlers to goof off and sandbag, we have implemented the "blind" team that bowls your personal average, so that your team gets credit for wins only if they bowl well.
    Plenty of leagues have a odd number of teams. It's not problem, most rules state:
    An individual must bowl at least his/her average less ten (10) pins and/or teams must bowl
    at least the team average less ten (10) pins per player, unless the league board states another
    number.
    to win the point.

However, it is hard to get amped to bowl against yourself. Bowlers might turn in a sheet that is less than their best, playing against competition that can't beat you unless you beat yourself.
    personally, I think the blind week should just be practice and not count towards league standings it should just be a non-event for averages and wins/losses.
    That's a contradiction if it didn't count for standings then you can't have wins and losses.

Also if it didn't count for standings then that's just a automatic "loss" for that team.

or, we also may even consider allowing the blind week to be a week off from bowling for one team, which could even be scheduled in advance for family vacations or other obligations. have your leagues ever experienced the blind team conundrum, and how do you handle it?
    This would be whats called a Bye system:
    Bye System:
    a. Team scheduled against the vacant team does not bowl.
    b. Position standings shall be determined on a percentage basis.

I might suggest you check the USBC rule book and the League Officer manual (since your a Treas.) where they address how to handle these league issues

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

thanks for the input, everyone

Chats: 0

Three years ago we had 13 teams and thus a "blind team" with a avg. of 142 per. member (mixed 5) we goofed off AND lost to the "blind team" (not a good feeling). But it woke us up and other teams to try harder against ourselves.
    All pins are POSSESSED, I'm just happy to be able to exorcise the poor dears and put them out of their misery.
    It's the least I can do
    High Game: 265
    High Series: 665
    Avg.: 180

I'm a proud member of bowlingboards.com Bowling Forums

In our league, to win points against the blind team, you need to have a team score of at least -50 of your team average.
    Current equipment: Roto Grip Hyper Cell Skid, Storm Fusion, Storm HyRoad, Storm IQ Tour Solid, Columbia White Dot. High Game: 300 High Series: 833
    See me at: mrbowling300
    See my classic pro bowler tour videos at: http://www.mrbowling300.com

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by thwacking View Post
    Any leagues have an odd number of teams? By accepting an 11th team, we established a weekly dilemma. bowling the blind team ---and rather than take the 4 wins and allow bowlers to goof off and sandbag, we have implemented the "blind" team that bowls your personal average, so that your team gets credit for wins only if they bowl well. However, it is hard to get amped to bowl against yourself. Bowlers might turn in a sheet that is less than their best, playing against competition that can't beat you unless you beat yourself.

personally, I think the blind week should just be practice and not count towards league standings it should just be a non-event for averages and wins/losses. or, we also may even consider allowing the blind week to be a week off from bowling for one team, which could even be scheduled in advance for family vacations or other obligations. have your leagues ever experienced the blind team conundrum, and how do you handle it?
    I've always hated bowling against the blind team. Found that it helped to enter our averages less 10 pins, ( the score we need to beat ), for the blind team.
    John

our leagues around here do 80% of team average when bowling blind.

we had a team drop out like half way through summer league. we bowled the blind. we needed 532 (80% of the teams average) and barely hit that in the 2nd game. I think we wound up with a 540 somethin.
    first and third games we shot 700+ though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast