Thread: League question: adding a team after week 1

Default League question: adding a team after week 1

Hello...

We are joining a league tonight after another plan fell through. This is week 3 for that League. How do we handle the 2 weeks we missed? We understand it's ultimately a league decision, but we're not sure what usually happens, or what other leagues do in this situation.

It's a 33 week handicap league with two 16 week halves/rolloff.

Any comments would be appreciated!

-John

Cranker
    Chats: 7

If your inheriting a spot from a vacant or dropped team,you may be given their win/loss record so you don't start way behind everyone else. You also may have to pay 2 weeks of fees so your current in prize fund and secretary & sanction fees(If sanctioned league). Ultimately it will be up to your league as to what they will do.

BTW-A sanctioned league is a league where your high scores 300,800 series,11 in a row,etc count for awards as opposed to a non sanctioned league where it not reconized.

Good luck in your new league!

Zothen

Chats: 891

well john i have went into a league 4 weeks late before and there was 1 team that needed a extra bowler and they wanted me so i decided that i will do it and i did really well on my first time there i never had to pay extra dues for the weeks i missed i would jsut end up with less game's played then everyone else but it took some time to get the hang of this new league then i was bowling decently good and had my bad days too.

but manly i dont think you have to pay for the 2 weeks that u have missed and zothen could be right that u will get the win/loses of a vacent team or a droped out team but im not fully sure of that.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Your answer depends on the bylaws of that particular league, which are voted on by the team captains. our league has this similar situation. we did not charge the new teams for the week(s) they missed, however their prize funds at the end of the year are going to be "docked" an appropriate percentage since they did not pay into the prize fund for that fraction of the season.

As far as wins/losses goes, these games are recorded as 0-0, and the standings are based on games won instead of percentage. A team with 2-2 record after week 2 may be considered ahead of the 2-6 team but behind the 3-5 team. At the end of the half, they will still be eligible for the rolloffs, but they are somewhat penalized for the weeks they missed without being given a forfeit for the weeks missed. As others pointed out, you might rather inherit a team if one dropped out, but this may be rare to find.

The bowling alley did not charge the team for the early season games they "missed", either. If anyone is absent going forward they will get charged weekly dues, then the bowling alley gives a courtesy coupon so that they can make up the guaranteed games later instead of paying for nothing.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

It depends on the league. Our first night we were short a team. We found one. After a vote by the league officers and talking to the alley owner, they were allowed to "post-bowl" the night they missed free of charge. They won't be docked any prize money either. I pushed for that part for two reasons; 1. I was grateful to have a full league on short notice 2. A lot easier on the secretary/treasurer and myself at the end of the season when we go to figure out the prize money.
    We were lucky, the night missed was our annual 'establish your average' night so in the ling run none of the teams had a real advantage.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 891

yeah bill when i came in like 3 or 4 weeks late idk how lnog it was on my 2nd year i never had to pay for the weeks i missed soo that night was my avg night and i ended up throwing a 606 series getting me a 202 avg held that for 3 weeks then i jsut went down hill till the playoffs when are team took 2nd palce but we would of had 1st if the people running the league did not cheat they brought in a bowler that has not bowled 1 game in the league for the playoffs and they sead other teams sead it was ok but if anything they never asked any team witch was most teams down on are side but the first nigth of playoffs i shot a 168-184-300 i think i cant remember the first 2 games perfectly but ik they are in the 160s and 180s and the 2nd week after i shot another 600 series we would of had the win for first by 100 pins they kicked me out of the league for pre bowling it.

problem there i had a track meet to go to and it was out of town idk how i would beable to get back in town in 1 day to bowl igspecialy when i palced 1st in all my event soo i had to do east reginals the next day. after i heard this i took it to the OTBA luckything was my jr bowling coach was the 2nd chair there soo i jsut talked to him and the league ended up getting taking over by another person and they where kicked out of the bowling allie.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618