Thread: Got any tips

Chats: 0

Default Got any tips

I'm a first year youth bowler set an average at 180. I need some pointers on sliding .... I simply can not do it well and I think if I can get that down it could help my game ... I'm a righty shooting from the 30 board in between the 2nd and 3rd arrow and using a storm shift bowling ball also a storm extra roll support brace... if anyone could spare a min and reply with some pointers i would appreciate it very much any questions feel free to ask

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

I think this is a job for Brian or ThongPrincess. He hooks a lot more than I do.

What kind of shoes do you use?

What is your step approach (3,4, 5 & etc.)?

Like kev3inp suggested talk to a certified coach to help with your slide problem.
    All pins are POSSESSED, I'm just happy to be able to exorcise the poor dears and put them out of their misery.
    It's the least I can do
    High Game: 265
    High Series: 665
    Avg.: 180

I'm a proud member of bowlingboards.com Bowling Forums

Crankers use 'late' timing, they get to the foul-line before the ball, they 'plant-and-pull'; not much slide or any slide sometimes, and bend the elbow to keep the hand behind and under the ball. There is a lot of lower and upper body strength needed - there is a strong push into the finish and the shoulders are still open to accomodate a high backswing.

Now this was my style for the last 15 years, until the mid of last season, I am slowly migrating to the stroker release. Maybe I'm getting old or not as strong as I was, but one thing I see at many tournaments is a stroker knows in the long run of a tournament, his consistentency will usually win.

Unlike the cranker form, my sliding foot stops just before the ball gets to the line, it creates some leverage for good, but controllable, ball reaction. My shoulders should be more square to the target and the ball arrives more in sync with the slide. (Even though I don't slide as much as many other strokers). This is considered the "old style" and I don't want to wow the audience with my scenic route shots, just win by consistency.

Remember, practice enough to where it becomes natural - no thinking about it, if you slide less consistenly, then do that - if you can make premium shots growth percentages of the time, ie Night 1, make 50%, Night 2, make 65%, etc. Your muscles are adapting to the technique.

Be firm with shots and don't back off....
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

I am using a four step approach.... wearing etonics ... not sure the exact name of them but they're black kinda would remind you of a pair of nike shocks actually ... so replying to that last post.. crankers do not usually slide at all??

my mind set when i throw is focusing on my spot, keeping my shoulders square with the alley, really trying to reach for that arrow, and closing the hand as i come through the release

anything i should try differently there guys ?

bowled tonight hit
    -----
    I'm really enjoying my new storm extra roll wrist brace gives me tons of more revs

Quote Originally Posted by hook&cry View Post
    so replying to that last post.. crankers do not usually slide at all??
    my mind set when i throw is focusing on my spot, keeping my shoulders square with the alley, really trying to reach for that arrow, and closing the hand as i come through the release
    Most don't but some do - just do what feels comfortable. Reaching for that arrow, hopefully you mean roll the ball to the target. Accuracy Timing Follow through (ATF)
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums