Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lastnight at league..

Chats: 0

Default Lastnight at league..

well it was league night last night. I'm on a team of 5 everyone on the team seems cool and dont really show that they care if you messed up or bowl bad... BUT last night my own teammate psyched me out, it was disgusting, really. I use a houseball for my spare shots because one I dont own a plastic ball for my spares, and two from my understanding a straight ball is the most consistent when it comes to "ignoring the oil". But this dude grabbed the house ball i was using and threw towards me and said get rid of it... I was about to say when you average over 170 come talk to me... this dude brings a 6 ball bag to league and curves the ball at his spares... I'm greener then grass when it comes to bowling, I thought myself, never even had a friend who enjoyed bowling...

My question and the reason for my post other then venting is. Are house balls "bad" to use during league play with fresh oil?? I understand plastic balls push oil down the lane but the greasy house ball i was using could that of thrown my team mates game off, and the reason why he got kinda upset with me?

But one of my team mates last night gave me a plastic ball.. I'm gonna get it drilled to my hand today.

I have my first lesson with a coach Tuesday... Hope he brings good insight to my game. I'm a wonderful learner, I'm gonna be like a field of corn Tuesday "all ears"

sorry for my rant and insecure question lol.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

There's nothing really wrong with using a house ball as a spare ball, if that's all you have. Not knowing the situation when he said "get rid of it".

He might have just wanted you to take it off the ball rack. When you have 5 man teams, there's like 10 balls on the rack. Most ball return racks only hold 10 or 11 balls. Leaving spare balls on there, can cause problems with returning balls and some guys get real worked up if there are 1 or more spare balls on there.

If you use a spare ball, after shooting your spare. Wait for the ball to return and remove it till needed again (a lot of returns have a double decker rack now for the spare balls) as a courtesy.

As for pushing the oil. If you were using it as your strike ball and playing a similar line as him, any affect on him would be minor. But just using it as a spare ball would be meaningless. Now if several people were doing it might be a different story.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 09-14-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

Thanks for the tips on waiting for the spare ball, I will do that next time and put it down below like I should have been doing. But the ball return wasn't close to full. This was more of him trying to tell me how to bowl. he said, "you always should hook the ball for spare". I see the logic of this if I had multiple pins still up and need some extra pin carry. But oil can be unpredictable last thing i want to do while going for the 10 pin is bite and miss it all together or gutter.. =/.. I see PDW and norm duke and almost all pros throw straight balls for spares.. I just don't get why you would want to abandon a straight ball unless you just want to make it harder and riskier for yourself.

Chats: 2

Thank the guy for the plastic ball, and you are correct when it comes to spares...straighter is better.
    Bowling - it's easy when you understand all the physics beneath the surface.
    High game - 300
    High league game - 290 x3
    High series - 802

Chats: 891

snug e should of not done that to you he should of asked you ik this cause 1 guy in a league i use to bowl in did it to me i had to use a house baall for my spares cause my spareball was stoling that night i had it on chair and when i was going back to get it for a spare shot it was gone i litterly spend 20mins trying to find the ball and asked everyone soo then i went and grabed a house ball and was just wipping the ball down the lane.

but after every shot i did with it i took it off the rack and put it in my chair and i stayed standing the hole time and one guy on the other team came over to the chair and grabed the ball and he sead put this ball away you dont need it and this guy is a streght bowler and me back then i had a big mouth and i sead stuff that im not going to post on here but probly most of you here just from hearing that sentance u probly know what i sead cause i almost sead everything.

but he shut up put my spareball back after i did something that i should of not done
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Cranker
    Chats: 7

First off that guy is an #$%^! I used house balls to pick up spares until i got my own spare ball. Yes house & spare balls do push oil down if theirs oil on the lane. You could also try taking your ring finger out of your ball and throw your ball like a house ball.

I would talk to your teammate and asked why you can't use a house ball for spares and see what he says. If its just to many balls on rack,then you can tell him he could have explained that to you instead of getting pi$$ed off.

Good luck in your league and good scoring!

Zothen
    Last edited by bowl1820; 09-14-2012 at 01:37 PM.

The only thing I can see remotely wrong using a house ball is the fit, other than that, drop the ball on his foot and go about your business.
    PAP 4" over and 3/4" up
    Infinite Theory, Storm Vivid and T Zone for spares
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by snugbucco View Post
    Thanks for the tips on waiting for the spare ball, I will do that next time and put it down below like I should have been doing. But the ball return wasn't close to full. This was more of him trying to tell me how to bowl. he said, "you always should hook the ball for spare". .
    you should have just laughed in his face at this point. like you said he doesn't even average 170? what does he average. cause if it's less than that, he probably shouldn't be trying to give too many people advice

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

This guy obviously had a burr up his a$$ and took it out on you. Next time he says to hook it at all spares tell him you will be sure to let (name any pro you want here) know that even though he's a pro he's doing it all wrong according to (jerk's name here).

As for the coach; write down before hand anything you have questions about. Bring a pen and paper with you and take notes. You would be surprised at what you can forget was said a week later. Good luck
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

That sounds like someone who thinks they know more than anyone. There is nothing wrong with what you were doing. Its not his bowling alley, so until there is a league rule that States you can not use house balls tell him to mind his own business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast