Thread: Need some advice on how to adjust to a particular lane condition

Default Need some advice on how to adjust to a particular lane condition

I'll start by saying that I'm sorry if this question has been asked before; I tried searching and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Last night I experienced a particular lane condition for the first time. My team was bowling against a vacant team (three of the four were sick), and things started out great. I bowled a 180 in the first game and a 177 in the second. However, in the third game the lanes started to break down, but in a way that I hadn't experienced before. Instead of the lanes getting dry and having to move a few boards to the left, it was like they were getting more oily. My best guess was that myself and the other male bowler on our team had pushed the oil down the lane which was causing our shots to go long and miss the head pin altogether. However, if I moved either way a board or two the lane reacted as it had all night; it was just the track that our strike balls were on that was pushed down.

So, I came to the conclusion that I needed to change both my aim and start points. However, I've not had to do this in the past, so I didn't know how to go about doing it. Can anyone provide some guidance on how far I should move my feet in relation to moving my aim point in a situation like this?

Cranker
    Chats: 7

As a right hander I would move to the right and stand on the 16 board and try to get my ball over the 5 or 10 board depending on where its dry.

Zothen

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

There is the "Angular Move"

This is where you keep the same target and move your feet. (A severe angle change)

(For a Right hander) There is also the 2:1 adjustment, move 2 boards left with your feet and 1 board left with your target. (A soft angle change)

The other is the parallel move, move left or right the same amount with your feet and target.

As for how much to move, that will just depend on the conditions that night. Two board moves are a common starting place.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 09-27-2012 at 08:42 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thanks for the info. The 2:1 was what I was looking for.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Nick, if you normally start around the middle and shoot out towards 10, I have found that moving RIGHT with a lay down at 10 out to 5 works well. Straight up 5 works well also.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Ringer
    Chats: 24

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Nick, if you normally start around the middle and shoot out towards 10, I have found that moving RIGHT with a lay down at 10 out to 5 works well. Straight up 5 works well also.
    A lot of people are afraid of this shot though bill. When you play those first 5 boards the margin for error is slim. I couldn't carry anything Wednesday night and after trying many lines (unsuccessfully) I started playing straight up the 2 board. It worked, but it was to late to matter.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
    I'll start by saying that I'm sorry if this question has been asked before; I tried searching and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Last night I experienced a particular lane condition for the first time. My team was bowling against a vacant team (three of the four were sick), and things started out great. I bowled a 180 in the first game and a 177 in the second. However, in the third game the lanes started to break down, but in a way that I hadn't experienced before. Instead of the lanes getting dry and having to move a few boards to the left, it was like they were getting more oily. My best guess was that myself and the other male bowler on our team had pushed the oil down the lane which was causing our shots to go long and miss the head pin altogether. However, if I moved either way a board or two the lane reacted as it had all night; it was just the track that our strike balls were on that was pushed down.

So, I came to the conclusion that I needed to change both my aim and start points. However, I've not had to do this in the past, so I didn't know how to go about doing it. Can anyone provide some guidance on how far I should move my feet in relation to moving my aim point in a situation like this?
    Years ago when we were all using rubber balls carry down was inevitable. With todays' radical cover stocks carry down is more of a thing of the past. Yeah, you'll get a tiny amount but it's really where you and your team mates were shooting. If you look at a graph of the way the oil moves around on a lane, you'll see that you actually cause a bit of a trough and dry out a given area. Your balls are picking up the oil and if you're throwing balls that flare, with every roll a different part of your ball is hitting the lane and picking up oil as it goes down.

Best bet is to make a fairly large move to get back into the oil. One board left probably won't make that much of a difference, so I'd say move three or four left with your target and maybe two with your feet. You'll be deeper in fresh oil, so your ball shouldn't hook as much, hence the reason for only two boards with your feet. Give all of these a try and see which one will work best for you.

Bob
    Last edited by Tampabaybob; 09-28-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by Davec13 View Post
    A lot of people are afraid of this shot though bill. When you play those first 5 boards the margin for error is slim. I couldn't carry anything Wednesday night and after trying many lines (unsuccessfully) I started playing straight up the 2 board. It worked, but it was to late to matter.
    That's why I stopped suggesting the 2 or 3 board. I don't understand what the problem is though. Even after a gutter the ball comes back. I could understand it more if you had to walk down in front of everyone to get your ball back.

The most rewarding part of playing that far outside is the amazing entry angle. People just don't know what they're missing and it's easier (for me) to target than when I'm covering 40 boards.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Ringer
    Chats: 24

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    That's why I stopped suggesting the 2 or 3 board. I don't understand what the problem is though. Even after a gutter the ball comes back. I could understand it more if you had to walk down in front of everyone to get your ball back.

The most rewarding part of playing that far outside is the amazing entry angle. People just don't know what they're missing and it's easier (for me) to target than when I'm covering 40 boards.
    The gutter is bad

I personally don't care much about putting one in the ditch though as it's only a matter of time before one goes in there anyways. Also when your having an off night why not get some practice on new lines? We play a 32 week season so you can come back from a couple of bad games.