Thread: Back to Basics, advice?

Default Back to Basics, advice?

Okay, I'm sure some of you veterans have noticed me posting a few different "help me" type threads in the last year....after the last two weeks of league I have determined this.

1. I am and can be a great bowler, I understand the sport well and have the drive and passion.

2. I have a lot to learn.

3. I have a lot of bad habits.

4. My mental game is my worst enemy (paired with my bum wrist)

That being said, I have decided that to get rid of my bad habits it's time to go back to basics.

The last two weeks at league I have had two decent games then my third game drops drastically, I attribute some of this to my wrist getting worn out....but the rest to my technique, or lack there of. By the end of the second game and all of third I am standing even with the left gutter and throwing in between then center arrow and one right of it..(what? 17 board or so?) Even like this I am still hitting high on the head pin, with my Vivid and Crossroad.

My question, has anyone here gone from a form you have been used to for years to hitting the reset button? and if so advice, tip, etc...?

My goal from this is to be more consistant and stroke the ball better...straighten my wrist, straighten my elbow, follow through, bend knees,...everything....I expect a drop in my average but at this point it can't hurt me too bad as I am already no where near where I was 4 years ago.
    Last edited by Gordon325; 09-26-2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Some Spelling Corrections

Disregard this post.
    Last edited by Gordon325; 09-26-2012 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Got on CPU and properly fixed spelling isues....this was a post explaining why stuff was spelt wrong..

Chats: 0

Ok, so I'll disregard the disregard post, but it appears you're still looking for some ideas, correct ?

Bob

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Prior to Nov 3, 2010 I was a power stroker. Nov 3, 2010 until Jan 9, 2012 I was a blind cranker. I switched styles immediately after my work injury left me blind. I had to increase my margin of error and naturally the size of the pocket. The best way to change form? Break each step down individually and work on each of them. Of course being blind and bowling the only exercise the doctors allowed, I was able to practice more than most people, upwards of 30-40 games a day, every day. My wife would drop me off at the bowling alley on her way to work and a friend would bring me home when they closed (he worked there). There were a few people that would tell me where I was standing and what board I hit, pins left, etc. but the hardest part was learning to hear what my ball was doing and losing the fear of falling on the lane. On the plus side, I can now see and play any style, any line. Not really needed for house shots but comes in handy at tournaments.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    On the plus side, I can now see
    I hope you mean this in the literal sense. (No pun intended)

So I feel you are saying practice, practice, practice... either that or start bowling with my eyes closed... I kid... So practice a lot and focus on each step one at a time, basically what I am getting from you is don't try to over do it all at once?

Gordon, lets take them 1 at a time......

1. I am and can be a great bowler, I understand the sport well and have the drive and passion.
    I wish everyone fell into this category. Understanding many of the aspects will get you where you want to go much faster. Having the drive will push that time frame up to a shorter learning curve, because you're driven to succeed.
    2. I have a lot to learn.
    I've been bowling over 50 years, and I'm still learning. People that are better coaches than I, are still coming up with new ideas and ways to improve. I evaluate them, try them and pass them on to people I coach all the time in an effort to help them improve as well. Just about the time anyone "thinks" they know it all someone will come up and tell them something they didn't know.
    3. I have a lot of bad habits.
    Bad habits sometimes will take a little longer to fix, than if you are trying this for the first time, but the drive to succeed will get rid of them quicker. A good regimen of practice ( and I know it's time consuming and expensive) will get you going. Also, if you have a pro or a good certified coach in the house you bowl at you can hook up with, that will get you started out on the right foot.
    4. My mental game is my worst enemy (paired with my bum wrist)
    Your mental game has to come from a positive perspective, knowing you're trying to accomplish something new, and 'understanding' it's sometimes a difficult road. You'll have days when you get frustrated, but you'll bounce back. There was an excellent article in Bowling this Month, a couple of months ago. I'll try to find it and PM you. Take your time during your changeover and you'll get there.

With that said, get yourself a good strong wrist brace to help your bad wrist. Have bowled with several "crankers" over the years that have had to change. The wrist is just not made to take a lot of abuse and let you keep doing that. You'll learn to come up from behind the ball, and turn it like 98% of the bowling population does and because of your knowledge, you'll get there sooner.
    Good luck and let us know how you're progressing. If possible, upload a video, and we'll get you some comments.

Bob
    Last edited by Tampabaybob; 09-29-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Gordon, as promised, here's a very good article from Dr Dean Hintz. It was in the 2010 issue of Bowling this Month. I couldn't copy it, also it's pretty long, but here's a PDF of the entire issue. His article is near the end of the issue and you should be able to print it. By the way, I consider this to be the bowlers bible if you want excellent bowling advice. Let me know if it helps. There's more if you need it.........Bob

http://onlinedigitalpublishing.com/p...2016/52016.pdf

Gordon,
    Found another article while looking thru old issues...think you may like this one also....it's a good read......Bob

http://onlinedigitalpublishing.com/p...0484/20484.pdf
    Last edited by Tampabaybob; 09-29-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: new info

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post
    I've been bowling over 50 years, and I'm still learning. People that are better coaches than I, are still coming up with new ideas and ways to improve. I evaluate them, try them and pass them on to people I coach all the time in an effort to help them improve as well. Just about the time anyone "thinks" they know it all someone will come up and tell them something they didn't know.

Bob[/COLOR]
    Your answer reminds me of back in the early 80s, when my friend Dave and I would get traded back and forth between my uncle Art and his friend Ralph. Art was fond of saying two things. First was that Dave and I should have been paying him for everything we were learning ( at least half true ). Second was that no matter how long you had worked at something you never knew everything. Anytime you thought that you did you were sure to run into a new problem!

I will not repeat the things that that he said the time he had to change the septic system pump for a local restaurant and had given me the tasks of getting a pair of hip boots from the volunteer firehouse, and shutting the valve at the other end of the pipe. When he loosened the union where the pump was attached, the sewer water from 150' of 2" diameter pipe started flowing back into the pump pit. After Art jumped out of the way of the gushing water he soon realized that the boots leaked ( after all the fire company had been inactive for at least 10 years and hadn't bought new equipment in 20). Needless to say I was not his favorite nephew that, and most of what I learned that day was vocabulary not suited for polite company.
    John

John, funny story and a good lesson on how we all learn some lessons the hard way !

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

If you really want to learn a new release start from the beginning; the 1 step approach. The release may be the hardest thing in bowling to learn, no sense in complicating it with an approach. Then add the approach later. With the release, follow through and approach in place you will be ready to showcase the new release.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com