Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Always hitting the pocket but always leaves the 10 pins.

Default Always hitting the pocket but always leaves the 10 pins.

Hi guys,

I bowled last week at our company's league but surprisingly, I always hit the pocket good but I always leave the 10 pin. I never made any adjustments since I'm hitting the pocket..I don't know what's happening? but what I see is that the 6 pin is always going around the 10 pin instead of hitting it....what adjustment do I need to make?

Thanks

Cranker
    Chats: 7

Try moving 1 board left(Right hand bowlers) opposite for left handers. The ball is usually coming up just slightly high on head pin.

Zothen

Chats: 326

Well, some people say move up on the approach a little bit before your next shot. Others say move to the right a half a board. I'm of the belief of Walter Ray Williams Jr., which is, never move. He said the likely hood of you throwing the same EXACT ball (meaning, speed, hand position, and mark) back 2 back times is nearly impossible. So if you have a good mark, and hit the pocket, he stays there, because he wants to hit the pocket again, and this time, hope it goes down.

You're going to leave corner pins when you're hitting the pocket (the 10 pin the most if you're right handed). It's just going to happen, and there isn't anything you can do about it.

So, you can move up a little, move the right a little, or don't move at all. Hope that gave you some insight.
    Last edited by JaMau24; 09-21-2012 at 01:07 AM.

Chats: 326

Quote Originally Posted by Zothen View Post
    Try moving 1 board left(Right hand bowlers) opposite for left handers. The ball is usually coming up just slightly high on head pin.

Zothen
    I believe this to be incorrect. Move to the right. If I'm wrong, someone can correct me.

It likely means, you're hitting the pocket more flat, and you want to hit it a little more flush (which means you want to hit the head pin a little more). You want your ball to hit flush, and when you don't hit flush, that's when a 10 pin occurs.

actually, some of my friends say there is no hard and fast rule to avoid leaving 10 pins...so I think what I should also do is try to consistently hit the 10 pin spare instead of trying to avoid the "unavoidable".

Chats: 723

The main Reason for leaving a ringing 10 pin is due to an ineffective angle going into the pocket, it looks like your hitting the pocket perfectly every time but you still leave the 10. what you can try is in practice to play different lines to see if you can get better carry.
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Here's a diagram about leaving ten pins.

"You are looking at the ball hitting the pocket. The ball could have struck the head pin slightly heavy (diagram A) or it could have struck the head pin slightly light (diagram B). Of course there’s always the question of the ball’s angle of entry to consider."

As said earlier there's no hard and fast rule for correction, it's a minor change in position or release to correct for it.

As Walter Ray said:
    "the more you hit the pocket, the more 10 pins you will leave. So pick them up."

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

My turn. Ringing ten pins, bad luck. You can't control how the six will come off the wall. Good luck would be having the head pin fly across and take it out. You can try moving but that's not a guarantee either. Some nights I purposely start hitting Brookyn just to try and get the carry. That's not recommended. I'm getting old and am definitely off my rocker (and meds) lol
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

This makes me think of a another post about ten pins.

A guy was having a fit about leaving the ten, said it was the houses fault. Because the gutters were too deep and the 6 pin wouldn't come out of the gutter and take out the ten like it was suppose too!

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 221

Many times especially on house shots it's to much entry angle. My normal adjustment for the ringing ten is a 2 and 1 left which will lessen the entry angle
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast