Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please criticize my game

Default Please criticize my game

Hello,

This is my first post here, have been reading a little before and finally made a video of me bowling, so decided to ask for advice.

A little about me:
    I bowl somewhat regularly for ~10 months now, started my first league this month averaging 150 throwing straight house balls.
    Recently got my own 15 pound ball (wanted 14 but they were sold out) with fingertip drill, to learn to hook.
    I think my main problem is inconsistency. I can bowl really well and hit every spare I throw but sometimes miss even the easiest ones.
    I know my mental game is lacking but I am trying to work on that.

So here are 2 videos of me playing my first real practice using no thumb and my own ball.
    I see one of the biggest mistakes I have is inconsistent ball speed, which is one of the main problems I think for bowling without thumb, because I have to use muscle strength instead of gravity.
    I did some testing in the first video with different speeds etc. but I still see that I did not adjust my starting location properly.
    Another problem I have is that when I target closest arrows, I almost always miss my target. Ball usually goes left of the target. I was reading somewhere here about players with left dominant eye and I have that, so it could be the reason why.
    But now I just usually target a bit more right than I need to hit and it works ok. I look at the pins when I throw straight spare balls and I consider myself a decent spare shooter. Should I try to change that?

If anyone could take a look at my videos and give some advice on what to improve (everything), it would be much appreciated.

P.S. While I am playing mostly for fun I will most likely continue throwing with 2 fingers because I enjoy it more.

Don't be too harsh

Here is the 2nd video could not include that in 1st post, because of 1 video per post limit :

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

More knee bend at the start stance. It will allow more knee bend at the slide. This will help create better balance and allow the balance leg foot to stay on the floor. For proper balance you need to keep three things in line; toe, knee chin.
    Try to straighten the elbow sooner, before the release.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Cranker
    Chats: 7

I agree with billf! I would also suggest slowing down a bit on approach as this will help with timing & balance.

Zothen

Chats: 2

In addition to bending your knees, hold your position at the foul line until the ball hits the pins. This will help you slow down too.
    Bowling - it's easy when you understand all the physics beneath the surface.
    High game - 300
    High league game - 290 x3
    High series - 802

Thanks for advice guys. I was bending more knees at one point but not sure why have I stopped, must start doing that again.
    Rushing things might be an issue as I know, when I am bowling alone and get frustrated because of my bad shots and start rushing even more and of course scores drop down even lower.
    Trying to hold position after release might not only slow me down but also help to improve my release position as sometimes ball pulls me to the right after releasing it.

Great advice, really appreciated.

What they said, balance balance balance. You should be able to hold your pose at release. Once you can stay balanced throughout your swing your accuracy and consistency will greatly improve.

Chats: 0

Your feet seem to be at a decent pace, (slow, slow, quick, quick) but when you get to the line, you are leaning too far to the right and your ball/arm swing are too far away from your body (check your video and try to pause it as the ball passes your leg). Having the arm that far away also is making your slide foot face to the right, which in turn forces your torso to face the same direction. That makes you almost throw side arm. As someone already mentioned, you want to have your arm swing and ball directly under your chin, and not away from your body. Fixing that will increase your accuracy. Try to stay 100% balanced at the line and slide straight. A good practice habit is to actually try to slide your left foot towards your left. Your shoulders won't turn left due to the weight of the ball on the right, but it helps straighten out the slide. Eventually, you'll automatically slide straight.

As far as shooting your spares targeting the pins, I would say stay with it. As long as you're being accurate and making most of your spares, continue with what you're doing.

By the way, the videos are very good. Wish others could do the same. It's much easier to offer advice when you can actually see the action. Good luck and keep us updated.

Bob

Ok, went to they bowling alley today, not the one in these video but different one. Here I usually play 9-pin tourneys two times a month. Tried to work on some things suggested here. Now here their standard oil pattern is very dry, which makes my ball hook very early (that is if I understand these things correctly). But ball doesn't hook almost at all at the end of the lane, so it's really hard to get a decent strike (not Brooklyn). I have to throw really strong but not too strong or ball wont hook at all at the end of the lane, or reduce my hook. Any suggestions for that?

Cranker
    Chats: 7

Sounds like its dry in front and oily in the back. I would try standing on the 18 board and throwing ball over 13 board. Also take polish off ball so it has grip in backend oil.

Zothen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast