Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy checking in from WI, looking for some advice to get back into bowling

Chats: 0

Default New guy checking in from WI, looking for some advice to get back into bowling

New guy checking in to the forum. I used to bowl regularily and in a league about ten years when I was in college. Haven't really bowled more than a couple times a year since. This year, I am back in a league and looking to really get a little more serious about it. I already use a fingertip grip and have two balls that were custom drilled for me, but they are ten years old and pretty roughed up. I have a Columbia Messenger TI pearl that I used 95% of the time and a Hammer Vicious particle that I hardly ever used because I couldn't really control it very well. I am not very familiar with bowling terminoligy yet, so I couldn't really tell you what layout they are drilled or anything like that.

As far as my style of bowling, from what I understand from reading online, I guess would probably be considered more of a stroker than a cranker, but have been working on getting more revs on the ball. But I don't have dreams of being a super power cranker either.

For now, I have no plans of getting in tournaments and the league I am in is co-ed and more for fun, nothing really serious. My goal is to use this year to get back into it, practice a lot, then get into a more competitive league next season.

Anyway, looking at balls online and reading reviews. Unfortunately, there isn't really a proshop in my area that has a lot of inventory, so I am limited to online shopping. Here is what I have been leaning towards:

1. Storm Frantic

2. DV8 Too Reckless

3. Roto Grip Berserk

Would like some advice if I am looking at the right equipment or if I should be looking at something different.

Chats: 1

Welcome! I wish I had some advice for you, but I'm just getting back into it as well. I can say though, there is a wealth of info here, and a lot of good people willing to help out.

Just wanted to say welcome to the board.

-Chris

Chats: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
    New guy checking in to the forum. I used to bowl regularily and in a league about ten years when I was in college. Haven't really bowled more than a couple times a year since. This year, I am back in a league and looking to really get a little more serious about it. I already use a fingertip grip and have two balls that were custom drilled for me, but they are ten years old and pretty roughed up. I have a Columbia Messenger TI pearl that I used 95% of the time and a Hammer Vicious particle that I hardly ever used because I couldn't really control it very well. I am not very familiar with bowling terminoligy yet, so I couldn't really tell you what layout they are drilled or anything like that.

As far as my style of bowling, from what I understand from reading online, I guess would probably be considered more of a stroker than a cranker, but have been working on getting more revs on the ball. But I don't have dreams of being a super power cranker either.

For now, I have no plans of getting in tournaments and the league I am in is co-ed and more for fun, nothing really serious. My goal is to use this year to get back into it, practice a lot, then get into a more competitive league next season.

Anyway, looking at balls online and reading reviews. Unfortunately, there isn't really a proshop in my area that has a lot of inventory, so I am limited to online shopping. Here is what I have been leaning towards:

1. Storm Frantic

2. DV8 Too Reckless

3. Roto Grip Berserk

Would like some advice if I am looking at the right equipment or if I should be looking at something different.
    Welcome to the Boards! Of all the balls you mentioned. the Frantic is the best selling Reactive ball on the planet. I think the DV8 would be an excellent ball for multiple conditions. I wouls also suggest the Storm Hy-Road as an excellent all0around ball.

Jay
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.

A local pro shop was kind enough to solve my dilemma today. They had a 15# Frantic in stock and gave me a fair price when I told them what it was available for online. Picking it up tomorrow after work tomorrow and headed straight to the lanes from there. Will report back tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the new ball.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

1. Storm Frantic

2. DV8 Too Reckless

3. Roto Grip Berserk

A local pro shop was kind enough to solve my dilemma today. They had a 15# Frantic in stock and gave me a fair price when I told them what it was available for online. Picking it up tomorrow after work tomorrow and headed straight to the lanes from there. Will report back tomorrow.
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with the new bowling ball! If you feel like you get stuck, take some video of you bowling and these guys will help you out. It's much easier to teach someone that doesn't already have bad habits than it is to teach someone that has been practicing their bad habits for 20 years.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Welcome to the forum.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Basisud View Post
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with the new bowling ball! If you feel like you get stuck, take some video of you bowling and these guys will help you out. It's much easier to teach someone that doesn't already have bad habits than it is to teach someone that has been practicing their bad habits for 20 years.
    That is some great advice. I was actually going to look into getting a lesson or two just to get some better fundamentals. I am 100% self taught so far. Been doing a lot of research online, watching videos about really basic starter techniques on approach and timing. Like you said, easier to correct bad habits now than after using them for years

Rolled 5 games with the new ball tonight. Pretty erratic scores, but man does this ball hit hard when your throw it right. Here are the results. (as you can see, I need to work on picking up the 10 pin)

The ball is actually more forgiving than anticipated. Really looking forward to dialing this ball in.

Chats: 23

Welcome to the forum and great scores!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast