Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated, I want to play a different pattern!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

AAAhhhhh, the reality the Typical House Bowler faces when given a real pattern. I'm the odd duck. I average higher on sport shots than house shots. Until this year anyway. I finally learned to ball down early and often on house patterns. Turns out my style and equipment fit the tougher patterns better than house shots. All these years I spent trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I can and would loft the left gutter cap and break at the 5 to only hit the pocket like a feather. Now I just use a ball matched better to the conditions and very seldom play further over than 25. I also learned to play the twig so I can have a line all to myself when I want.
    Sport shots make you think more and be more accurate and highly recommend then to all bowlers.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Cranker
    Chats: 7

The new machines are capable of doing most Keigel and PBA patterns,the problem is the machines have to be programmed by the guy using the machine to lay a specific pattern down. I have been told it also cots more to lay a sport pattern down as oppose to a THS. Most high average bowlers will drop out of a sport league as they see their 200+ avg drop,that is way you dont see many sport or PBA leagues. It is a good challenge,I went from 130 avg last yr to a 146 avg so far this yr. I had to play 2 board(I hate the gutter) or 13 board to see where my ball hooks. On top of that the line changes from week-week.

Zothen

Chats: 25

Aw hell, I hardly break 200 on a typical house shot as it is, now you want me to bowl on PBA Animal patterns? :P

The bottom line is that whatever is fun for you, that's what you should do. I think the USBC website has a listing of centers in your area that have sport leagues if shooting on various oil patterns is your thing. For me, just being able to bowl well on a THS will be good enough to keep me entertained for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Zothen View Post
    The new machines are capable of doing most Keigel and PBA patterns,the problem is the machines have to be programmed by the guy using the machine to lay a specific pattern down. I have been told it also cots more to lay a sport pattern down as oppose to a THS. Most high average bowlers will drop out of a sport league as they see their 200+ avg drop,that is way you dont see many sport or PBA leagues. It is a good challenge,I went from 130 avg last yr to a 146 avg so far this yr. I had to play 2 board(I hate the gutter) or 13 board to see where my ball hooks. On top of that the line changes from week-week.

Zothen
    I don't understand this. If a bowler that averages 200+ on a house pattern bowls once a week on a THS and averages 200+ and bowls once a week on a sport league averaging 150, his average for the year will still be 200+. I have never understood why people don't want to be challenged! Is their ego really that hurt that they can't average 200+ on a harder shot?

Cranker

They don't want to be challeged because they don't want to be forced to play the gutter or have to adjust their game for a harder shot.

Zothen

Banned
    Chats: 100

If you had excellent accuracy, and researched the pattern on the internet, wouldn't you have a good score?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Accuracy definitely helps as does research. But they don't teach you how many revs you will need, what axis rotation is best for you on that pattern or different releases to maximize your chance at success. That stuff only comes from ability and tons of practice. Most bowlers don't want to or won't practice that much.
    I can't tell you how many people tell me they want to bowl better but won't come practice. They all know I'm at the lanes every Saturday, all day if they want some free coaching. These are family and friends so they get the occasional freebie. I have also been known to help anybody there although not in a formal lesson, without charge. Quick pointers and gone lol. You pay, you then get the undivided attention and the videotaping. Anyways, all the bowlers I know laugh at the fact I bowl at least 100 games a week (use to be 300 a week).
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Banned
    Chats: 100

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Accuracy definitely helps as does research. But they don't teach you how many revs you will need, what axis rotation is best for you on that pattern or different releases to maximize your chance at success. That stuff only comes from ability and tons of practice. Most bowlers don't want to or won't practice that much.
    I can't tell you how many people tell me they want to bowl better but won't come practice. They all know I'm at the lanes every Saturday, all day if they want some free coaching. These are family and friends so they get the occasional freebie. I have also been known to help anybody there although not in a formal lesson, without charge. Quick pointers and gone lol. You pay, you then get the undivided attention and the videotaping. Anyways, all the bowlers I know laugh at the fact I bowl at least 100 games a week (use to be 300 a week).
    I think once a week we should have a virtual "I'm going to bowl on a _____ pattern, how should I do it" just like a mental homework kind of project.

Cranker

If you bowl on a long pattern(44')the rule of thumb is to move up on approach and slow your armswing down to about 10-12mph. This will give ball time to build up friction as it cuts thru oil,then turn as it hits dry. A lot of bowlers including myself find this awkward and difficult to get timing right. I have learned to do it,but,it takes time and patients.

Zothen

Quote Originally Posted by Zothen View Post
    If you bowl on a long pattern(44')the rule of thumb is to move up on approach and slow your armswing down to about 10-12mph. This will give ball time to build up friction as it cuts thru oil,then turn as it hits dry. A lot of bowlers including myself find this awkward and difficult to get timing right. I have learned to do it,but,it takes time and patients.

Zothen
    Hah! Suckas! I already bowl near 12mph. No problem for me to get slow enough. Maybe I'd do better on sports patterns than THS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast