Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sticking with 2 fingers

It's not bad to use two fingers and no thumb, it is just inconsistent and increasingly difficult for spare shooting. I would recommend going to a two handed style to get that stabilizer that you would normally get with adding the thumb.

Also, a lot of great no thumbers use it when they shoot spares. Do whatever you can to get a good spare game down. Practice them more than anything else and you will see your scores go even higher.
    Levi "Lucky" Lauck - USBC Silver Coach - U.B.A. Member

UBowling.com is a new bowling website created as a resource of bowling news, reviews and information to help grow and improve the bowling community.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 136

Is it illegal to use 2 fingers, then switch to 3 to pick up a spare?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    18 Years Old
    Average : 170
    In bag:-DV8 Reckless, Jet Altitude
    At Home-Hammer Blue Hammer Bowling Ball , Pyramid Path Bowling Ball
    High game-278 1 strike off from a 300
    High series-624 - Shot at tournament 2/22/14

Bowling Style : 2 Fingers
    Favorite Bowler : Mike Miller

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

Quote Originally Posted by UBowling View Post
    It's not bad to use two fingers and no thumb, it is just inconsistent and increasingly difficult for spare shooting.
    I am a much better spare shooter without my thumb in. It's one of the reasons I went back to not using my thumb. Tried 2 handed, felt I was better one hand no thumb. I can do things without my thumb in that I can't with my thumb. I'm not just talking about bigger hook either. I can throw it straighter without my thumb as well, a plastic ball, a little speed, and I can throw it almost dead straight. I can make more speed adjustments without my thumb, I can adjust axis a little better as well. I can even vary the rev rate a little. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm just better without my thumb, for now at least.

Quote Originally Posted by martinezsam2495 View Post
    Is it illegal to use 2 fingers, then switch to 3 to pick up a spare?
    Not at all, in fact Tom Daughrety was doing it in the tournament. Osku Palermaa goes from two hand, no thumb, and throws most spares one hand, thumb in.
    Trying not to suck, one day at a time.

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by martinezsam2495 View Post
    Today was another amazing day of bowling.

I hit a wooping 245! New high score for me, as well as a 600 series. Games were 188, 245, and 191 I also struck out 5 strikes on the last game.
    One thing I learned was, why learn how to bowl an entirely different way, when you have something that works. I don't care what anyone say's, but I am not converting to 3 finger. I'm sticking to my technique, and I will become one of the fellow PBA bowlers with a unique style.
    Dude, You stole my score. I was looking for that. No wonder I could not find it.

Great job.
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by RoccoRock View Post
    Not at all, in fact Tom Daughrety was doing it in the tournament. Osku Palermaa goes from two hand, no thumb, and throws most spares one hand, thumb in.

It's not illegal BUT don't confuse PBA rules with USBC rules. In the PBA they can bowl any ball any style, any hand at any time. Not so with the USBC.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 0

Glad to hear a fellow thumbless staying true!
    It sounds like people forget that not the right way works for everyone, just like in any sport.
    I plan on sticking thumbless but I am also learning how to play with the thumb though just to have it in the back up for when I can't seem to get it together like Tom Daugherty

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 136

Quote Originally Posted by Loyer807 View Post
    Glad to hear a fellow thumbless staying true!
    It sounds like people forget that not the right way works for everyone, just like in any sport.
    I plan on sticking thumbless but I am also learning how to play with the thumb though just to have it in the back up for when I can't seem to get it together like Tom Daugherty
    The thing I love about the thumbless technique, is that if you put your thumb in, you'll naturally have a straight shot.
    For my spares now I am using 3 fingers, but my strike shot is released by 2 fingers
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    18 Years Old
    Average : 170
    In bag:-DV8 Reckless, Jet Altitude
    At Home-Hammer Blue Hammer Bowling Ball , Pyramid Path Bowling Ball
    High game-278 1 strike off from a 300
    High series-624 - Shot at tournament 2/22/14

Bowling Style : 2 Fingers
    Favorite Bowler : Mike Miller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123