Thread: 10 pin Perplexing, befogging, bewildering, confounding question!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default 10 pin Perplexing, befogging, bewildering, confounding question!

Why in the HECK is it that I can on a given night in league NOT MISS ONE TEN PIN,,,,,and on another night hit about 50 percent? I had a streak going where on two leagues, Sunday, into Monday I hit 23 in a role!!!!! Jason might remember this…. We were laughing to the effect that I don’t miss them anymore! Then last night I hit about half!!! GEEEEEEEE,,,, focus,,,,, I think not! Gravitational pull of the Sun, Moon, or Mars???? It just kills me what could have been a 700 plus, turns out a mid 600 series!

I was getting a number 10 pin leaves in bad spots,,, 3 strikes four strikes then a 10 pin, (ringing ten pin), then last night hitting only about half!
    Bowling God,,,, what did I do to deserve this backward journey into 10 pin misses! (And will I recover) LOL

Chats: 723

O Iceman, how your posts are always so enthusiastic!

are you tracking how you miss the 10's? are you missing left or hitting gutter? when you got 23 in a row, do you recall the board you started on/released on/what your target was? 23 in a row isn't luck, if you can figure out what line you were playing and reproduce it you will get the pin to fall!

Good luck!
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Blog Entries

Yes,,, I do remember!! Where was I,,,,,, lol !!

I use my new, trustworthy plastic Storm 1 ball! I stand right on the far let dot/marker, and target the center arrow! In all honesty, I think I take my eye off the target arrow!!!!!! It’s a lot like golf, taking your eye off the ball! NO MATTER how hard I try, I just have to look up at that cursed, blasted, damned, bleeding, ringing TEN PIN!! Is there a training device that doesn’t allow you to look down the lane as you are going for THAT PIN!! I will admit,,, when I was picking it up, and had the long streak of victories over the PIN,,,, I was focused!

When I missed last night it was always just in front of the pin,,, with several almost hits, and a few a foot or so in front! I was about 50/50, last night and the ringing ten pin hurt my quest for that 700 plus game! I have had a few 700 games in practice, (three consecutive games, not 3 700 games ) one a 742,,,, but in league only one and it was 700 on the button!!

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    I have had a few 700 games in practice, (three consecutive games, not 3 700 games ) one a 742,,,, but in league only one and it was 700 on the button!!

700 series lol

if your hitting right when aiming over center arrow, try aiming 1-3 boards right of center arrow if you can hit that target it should work. there is also the possibility that your spare ball is hooking ever so slightly and when you hit 21 in a row there was more oil. Blame the lanes! lol

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

The answer is simple; stop leaving ten pins. If that fails, stop FORGETTING to focus. I know, at 64 years young you are forgetting lots of things. Like you pants and balls last week. Who you were bowling against this past Friday. How to use your spinner.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    The answer is simple; stop leaving ten pins. If that fails, stop FORGETTING to focus. I know, at 64 years young you are forgetting lots of things. Like you pants and balls last week. Who you were bowling against this past Friday. How to use your spinner.
    Hey WILD Bill, guy with 15 balls!! I won last FRIDAY!! WE are now 1 victory each!! Where in the hell did I put that cup of coffee??? Later!

Chats: 25

For me, the 7 pin is my nemesis (I'm a lefty). Found an instructional video on youtube from Norm Duke that hit the nail right on the head - I was trying to hook into that 7! Instead, he recommends standing as far left (for me this would be right) as practical/possible and throw as straight as you can - no hook. When targeting spares, I don't usually use the arrows but instead look directly at the pin I'm trying to hit. I'd say it works about 80-85% of the time for me (and that's because I don't try hard enough or sometimes don't care lol). You might want to try targeting that 10 pin instead of relying on the arrows. Mgiht work better, might not, everyone's a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBowla View Post
    For me, the 7 pin is my nemesis (I'm a lefty). Found an instructional video on youtube from Norm Duke that hit the nail right on the head - I was trying to hook into that 7! Instead, he recommends standing as far left (for me this would be right) as practical/possible and throw as straight as you can - no hook. When targeting spares, I don't usually use the arrows but instead look directly at the pin I'm trying to hit. I'd say it works about 80-85% of the time for me (and that's because I don't try hard enough or sometimes don't care lol). You might want to try targeting that 10 pin instead of relying on the arrows. Mgiht work better, might not, everyone's a little different.
    Well, normally when targeting the 7/10 pin's (lefty/righty) your supposed to line up the pin with the center arrow then shooting center arrow as your target.

Ringer
    Chats: 24

Quote Originally Posted by 75lockwood View Post
    Well, normally when targeting the 7/10 pin's (lefty/righty) your supposed to line up the pin with the center arrow then shooting center arrow as your target.
    See this is where are the confusion comes in. when I shoot at 10 pins, I move 14 boards to the left and throw at the same mark. There are so many possible ways to go about picking up single pins it's mind boggling. You just have to figure out what works for you and keep practicing that.

Chats: 25

Quote Originally Posted by 75lockwood View Post
    For some reason I end up missing more when I try the above. Standing at the right guttercap though and looking directly at the 7 results in a pickup most of the time for me, so that's what I do. Weird, I know, but it works... well most of the time anyway. The rest is just practice. 10's aren't an issue for me, I just look at the pin and throw my usual hook ball and I get them 99% of the time. Being a lefty though, it's usually the 7 pin that I have to deal with rather than the 10.