Thread: Bowling is all about consistency right?

Chats: 0

Default Bowling is all about consistency right?

So why are all three of my strike balls drilled differently? Not just the position of the pin (pin up center on one, pin up to the right on one, pin down to the right on one), but also the distance between the finger holes is different on all my balls too. I know I'm a newbie so I would expect him to maybe change pin position on how aggressive he thinks the ball is for my bowling, but shouldn't at the very least the distance between the finger holes be the same? Also the thumb hole feels way bigger on one ball....Should I start going to a different pro shop?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 67

Default bowling consistantly

are the weights on your 3 balls identical
    are they different brands
    are they asymetrical or just symetrical cores
    are they for heavy/ medium/ or light oiled lanes?
    there is alot of different strategys that go into determining
    the type version a ball drill needs to be.
    I by no means have any knowledge to assist in answering
    your question in regarding the drilling of your 3 balls i was
    only voicing my opinion in the matter of why they may have
    been so differently drilled you need a professional opinion.
    JUDY / JUDY / JUDY...5/24/13 BOWLING RECORD AMF EULESS LANES HG 216 / HS 535
    PIN PALS, "PLEASE, " SPARE ME SOME STRIKES !!!
    I AM A HAPPY...BLESSED...PROUD...MEMBER...BOWLINGBOARDS.C OM

Chats: 0

i would think that the finger distance and thumb size should be consistant on all your balls unless you request something different. i would ask the guy that drilled them if there was a reason he changed them.
    Last edited by STRYKER; 05-22-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Because different balls roll different ways and are either more or less aggressive. Also, some patterns a straighter ball is better, some a curvier hook is better.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Bendial View Post
    So why are all three of my strike balls drilled differently? Not just the position of the pin (pin up center on one, pin up to the right on one, pin down to the right on one), but also the distance between the finger holes is different on all my balls too. I know I'm a newbie so I would expect him to maybe change pin position on how aggressive he thinks the ball is for my bowling, but shouldn't at the very least the distance between the finger holes be the same? Also the thumb hole feels way bigger on one ball....Should I start going to a different pro shop?
    Bowling is all about consistency right?

Mainly when they talk about "consistency" in bowling it's referring to the physical part of your game.

As for your equipment having different layouts, surfaces etc. that's common. It would depend on what your and/or the driller was going for at the time.

Now as for your "grip" in the best of worlds, it should be the same ball to ball. But if your tweaking a fitting and not going back and having all your balls changed to the new fit. You might wind up with differences from ball to ball.

How did you determine the spans were different? did you measure them? or just eye ball them?

As for the thumb do you use a thumb insert? they can wear out, also your thumb will change size throughout the day. It's also possible they looked at the wrong sheet, grabbed the wrong drill bit. Also could be New sharp bit vs a dull bit, it makes a difference in the hole.

Before going to a new shop, take them in and ask him. point out your concerns see what he says.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 05-22-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker