Thread: USBC Questions

Default USBC Questions

Hey guys,

Have two situation questions from the league we're on which is USBC sanctioned.

Situation 1: My parents, wife, and I are on a league with a handful of new teams. When we came in to bowl today, we saw that we had lost a portion of our points that the score sheet showed the previous week. We were told the teams we were bowling hadn't established their average yet so once their average was established they retroactively updated the past scores and we lost points that we thought we already had. Is this normal? I wouldn't have thought that their average gets applied retroactively...

Situation 2: The team who runs the league has a pregnant woman on the team. She only bowled a couple weeks and not long enough during the period of time where our averages are re-established (4 weeks in the bi-laws). Since her average wasn't established this year, they're saying that when she comes back to bowling next season that they're going to have to create a new average for her and it sounds fishy to us... What's the point of having USBC sanctioning if the USBC averages don't apply or carry over from past seasons?

We're not knowledable about USBC sanctions and we're trying to just bowl for fun, but the sandbagging and politics that appear to go on in the league really has been ruining it for us lately. We bowled our hearts out at the beginning of last season and were all happy with all the points we were winning only to realize the good bowlers were sandbagging to keep their averages low to get higher handicaps. Are we overreacting to the above two situations or are they messing with the scoring?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by meissen View Post
    Hey guys,

Have two situation questions from the league we're on which is USBC sanctioned.

Situation 1: My parents, wife, and I are on a league with a handful of new teams. When we came in to bowl today, we saw that we had lost a portion of our points that the score sheet showed the previous week. We were told the teams we were bowling hadn't established their average yet so once their average was established they retroactively updated the past scores and we lost points that we thought we already had. Is this normal? I wouldn't have thought that their average gets applied retroactively...
    Yes if they were establishing average, you wouldn't know who won what till they figured the correct handicap based on those averages.

Situation 2: The team who runs the league has a pregnant woman on the team. She only bowled a couple weeks and not long enough during the period of time where our averages are re-established (4 weeks in the bi-laws). Since her average wasn't established this year, they're saying that when she comes back to bowling next season that they're going to have to create a new average for her and it sounds fishy to us... What's the point of having USBC sanctioning if the USBC averages don't apply or carry over from past seasons?
    USBC book averages are based on a minimum of 21 games; since she bowled less than 21 games it won't carry over for the next season. So She would have to establish a new average. So not fishy.

We're not knowledable about USBC sanctions and we're trying to just bowl for fun, but the sandbagging and politics that appear to go on in the league really has been ruining it for us lately. We bowled our hearts out at the beginning of last season and were all happy with all the points we were winning only to realize the good bowlers were sandbagging to keep their averages low to get higher handicaps. Are we overreacting to the above two situations or are they messing with the scoring?
    Sandbagging and handicap is a big bone of contention a lot of places (at least if you go by internet posts). If your there for fun, don't sweat it. Otherwise it's a big landmine step on at your own risk.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

The team that runs the league? At a minimum there should be a president, secretary and a board that includes the captain of each team. There is also a treasurer BUT that position can be held by the secretary. I'm not sure what politics you're dealing with but all the rules can be found at http://www.bowl.com/rulebook/
    As for sandbagging; it's hard to prove and not worth worrying about. In reality you bowl against yourself. This is especially true for bowlers with integrity and pride. Control what you can, have fun and forget about the sandbaggers. This is my 7th year bowling on my Saturday league. Once as a team we adopted that philosophy we have finished higher each year. We finished in 2nd last year and are currently in first this year although we have a long way to go.
    I was told before our season started that a certain bowler was planning to sandbag to get handicap for the state tournament. I called him and we met. I've bowled with him before in other leagues. I was very blunt and told him I wouldn't stand for any sandbagging. I understand why he would but not in my league. I gave him the whole pride speech, ethical sportsmanship, etc. I guess it worked as he is the leader in average. I have fun in all 3 of my leagues but for different reasons. Sat is a mixed league that's a very social atmosphere. Monday is a men's handicap league (also currently in first place) and Tuesday is a men's scratch league. I also use to bowl regularly in the Friday night fun league and Sunday Morning Trio but only sub in those now. They weren't as much fun for me so I dropped them.
    The point of that rant is; have fun no matter who or what.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com