Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: old bowler needs new ball.

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    With the next ball choose one with a symmetrical core. They are more controllable than asymmetrical core balls. Given what you have stated above I think the Marauder or Reckless (both by DV8) would work nicely for you.
    billf, I looked at DV8's on their site and bowlingball.com trying to compare the "perfect scale rating" What I've found is my Alpha-Max is almost at the top of their ratings (221.4) and categorized as Pro Performance, no wonder Im having so many control issues. LoL. The DV8's you mentioned are in the 195/196 range, is this enough of a drop or should I consider something like the Misfit at 182?
    I did send you a PM, not sure if you got it.
    Thanks Again.

Ringer
    Chats: 24

The marauder is one of those do it all type balls. I have let a few people throw my marauder (from two handers, to crankers, to strokers) and it has worked well for all of them. I think dropping down the perfect scale roughly 30 points will be enough of a change that you will notice the improvement and overcome the control issue you are now experiencing.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

The Perfect Scale is nice but does have flaws. The core and coverstock affect control a lot. The asymmetrical cores are designed to have a sharper break point and are more touchy. Symmetrical cores have a rounder shape to their hook and are usually found in most solids, pearls and hybrids. They are also cheaper.
    I did get your PM. I don't usually get home from the bowling alley until at least 9pm EST. I was there 13 hours today and only bowled 15 games.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Looking into something like the Versa-Max, I think it should be much tamer then the Alpha-Max Im struggling to throw now.

Chats: 221

There are many great choices available to choose from. Balls like the 900Global Wisdom are designed for senior bowlers with lower ball speeds.Another good choce would be the Motiv Thrash or the new Venom Strike which comes out Wednesday.The DV8 Marauder and Reckless are also very good choices. Another smoother reacting ball is the AMF Cobra se. Thhe Hammer Rhythm or Arson would also be good choices
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Chats: 0

I am going to be 66 in February and I had to face the fact with my ball speed of 13 to 14.5 that a reactive resin is too hard to fight the hook it gets with a slow speed. If you want to get down the lane easier with a more controlled hook try and get yourself set up with a urethane Columbia U2 Classic or a Hammer Blue Hammer ball with a 14lb weight. You won't be fighting a sharp hook every time you throw the ball. See a pro shop and tell them your situation and see what they think you should have for your age and ball speed. With an easier controlled urethane ball they can figure out a layout that will work for your ball speed to make it less hooking to more hooking at the back end. Hope you get something that works better for you and make it more fun and less like work on every throw.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12