Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ball soon looking for advice

Ringer
    Chats: 23

Default New Ball soon looking for advice

Well I figured I would finally create a profile after reading the forums for awhile and ask everyone what I should look at for a new ball I shall be purchasing soon.

Info about my game:
    Higher than average speed
    Average revs
    Throw a very down and in style. I stand 2nd dot throw 2nd arrow.

Currently I have 2 older balls
    Track Crash 15 lbs.
    Columbia 300 Scout Reactive 16 lbs.

Both of these balls offer me roughly the same reaction and are very similar other than the weight. The new ball will be back to 16lbs and will most likely take the place of the Crash.

Finally I just started back into bowling this year after at least 3-4 years of not bowling at all. I enjoy it and can't wait every week for my Monday night league. I have gotten my form back pretty quick going from average 129 the first week back to 153 now. Every week I am over my average which helps the team alot.

Ok so back to the question at hand, I am looking for something with more hook than the 2 balls I have, good for a wide range of conditions (I would say mainly medium to dry is what i normally see) and not too expensive. I would like to stay under $120. Let's hear some ideas and I know form reading other posts DV8 balls will be recommended!

Chats: 25

I have a DV8 Marauder and I love it, it works very well on those conditions. Bowlingball.com has 'em for $114, which fits your budget as well (drilling will be an extra $40 to $50 depending on where you go for that). I don't know how it compares to the Crash or the Scout as far as the amount of hook goes, but mine sure does hook. I used to play the same line as you, but I've found with this ball, I need to stand at the center dot and throw over the second arrow, that's how much more it hooks than my old Brunswick Cyclone. If I really rev it up, I can stand at the 4th or even 5th dot and still hit the pocket with it. It's a very versatile ball and I can't say enough good things about it.

Cranker
    Chats: 7

Hmmmmm,most dry-medium oil balls are around the $150-$180 range with drilling including those at bowlingballs.com where you can find a ball for $120,but,will pay about $50 for drilling.

Medium oil balls-Brunswick C-(System)Maxxed Out & Versa Max or Karma(Dull,Solid or Pearl),Roto Grip Shatter,Columbia Violent Eruption & Eruption or Crossroads,AMF Bullwhip,Storm Manic,Frantic,Tropical Breeze or !Q Tour,DV8Misfit all I can think of right now. All can be used on dry depening on how it's drilled and you might have to alter coverstock.

Zothen

Ringer

I factored out drilling expenses, just looking for a ball around that price point. The expense to drill a ball is pretty constant no matter what ball I end up with. I am just looking to not shell out much more than $120 for the ball.

League nights i see the most oil and I would say they are on the higher side of medium, and as everyone knows open bowling is always more dry than that. Also I forgot to mention the lanes I bowl on are oiled to 41' instead of the more normal 38' which I think most people see.

Chats: 891

well yeah the dv8 balls are great the too reckless is a great ball works for me on all oil conditions but another ball that will work great is some of the track 5series balls i got the 716T and i throw it even on dry lanes and can get it right to the pocket. soo take a look on bowlingball.com at the track balls and see if there is any there that you like not sure of price wise.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Chats: 25

Quote Originally Posted by Zothen View Post
    Hmmmmm,most dry-medium oil balls are around the $150-$180 range with drilling including those at bowlingballs.com where you can find a ball for $120,but,will pay about $50 for drilling.
    Yeah it's 6 of one and half dozen of the other, but the pro shop I go to only carries 2 DV8 balls, the HRR and the Terror. I wanted the Marauder and the only place in town that had one wanted $150 for it plus more for drilling, plus they were clear across town, plus I would have also had to pay sales tax. I actually saved a good chunk of money by ordering it online and having it drilled locally once it arrived.

Chats: 723

Like Said above, the dv8 marauder looks like an awesome ball, for dry to medium it might be perfect! if you are looking for something with slightly more kick, the marauder madness is the new kid on the block
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Quote Originally Posted by AZBowla View Post
    Yeah it's 6 of one and half dozen of the other, but the pro shop I go to only carries 2 DV8 balls, the HRR and the Terror. I wanted the Marauder and the only place in town that had one wanted $150 for it plus more for drilling, plus they were clear across town, plus I would have also had to pay sales tax. I actually saved a good chunk of money by ordering it online and having it drilled locally once it arrived.
    im pretty sure you can ask ur proshop to order the ball for you. if my proshop doesnt have the ball in stock, we just ask him to order it for us.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

The Marauder would match your style, speed and revs the best with a much better hook and carry potential than your current balls. Your speed will be the biggest factor in determining how far, if at all, you have to move towards the center. Plus the Marauder is designed for more back end which would be more apt to enable you to keep close to your usual line.
    The Marauder Madness is MUCH stronger and will be too strong for where you like to play. If you can alter your axis rotation and move left 10-15 boards then it would work for you.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 723

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    The Marauder would match your style, speed and revs the best with a much better hook and carry potential than your current balls. Your speed will be the biggest factor in determining how far, if at all, you have to move towards the center. Plus the Marauder is designed for more back end which would be more apt to enable you to keep close to your usual line.
    The Marauder Madness is MUCH stronger and will be too strong for where you like to play. If you can alter your axis rotation and move left 10-15 boards then it would work for you.
    Ok fine, "slightly more kick" may be just a tad of an understatement LOL
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast