Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do left handed people really have a natural hook to their ball?

Chats: 0

Default Do left handed people really have a natural hook to their ball?

Being left handed I don't know how many times I have heard people say that left handed bowlers have a natural hook to their ball. How do these folks figure that out? Does that mean that I don't have to work to curve my ball when I throw it? It will just hook without even thinking about it? Wow! How nice is that? I don't know if that is true or not. Has any other lefty folks here heard something like that since you have been bowling? The question is is this true or false? Or maybe it can be called an old wives tale. What do you think?

Lol no, they don't have a natural hook, haha. The same mechanics apply, you still have to turn the ball.

The reason people rail on lefties is because they are less people throwing the ball left handed so the left side of the lane breaks down and transitions slower than the right side so people think it is "easier" on the left side. Take advantage! Be proud of it, I wish I was left handed! Celebrate your leftiness!
    Levi "Lucky" Lauck - USBC Silver Coach - U.B.A. Member

UBowling.com is a new bowling website created as a resource of bowling news, reviews and information to help grow and improve the bowling community.

Chats: 0

It sure is nice to have the left side of the alley all to myself on league night.

Noo.. lol it's all the same there's also plenty of left handers out there with much less hook than righties so that disproves it kind of too

Chats: 723

Quote Originally Posted by UBowling View Post
    Lol no, they don't have a natural hook, haha. The same mechanics apply, you still have to turn the ball.

The reason people rail on lefties is because they are less people throwing the ball left handed so the left side of the lane breaks down and transitions slower than the right side so people think it is "easier" on the left side. Take advantage! Be proud of it, I wish I was left handed! Celebrate your leftiness!
    This actually came up in discussion last month, while the general agreement was that lefties had it easier in most situations because they are alone over there, however it was also brought up that on certain sport patterns this can make things a lot tougher on lefties because right handed bowlers have the the opportunity to break down the pattern to their advantage where as the lone southpaw doesn't have enough time to do this. Just food for thought!
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Chats: 25

I throw with a hook now but that's just because I have done so for so many years that now it's hard for me to throw the ball straight. Having a snappier ball doesn't help any either lol.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

If it's a natural hook then how come there are more Strokers than Crankers on the left side? I prefer bowling left handed but my knee doesn't like it nearly as much.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Banned
    Chats: 100

How much does ball turn contribute to actual hook/revs, and not just side rotation, compared to fingers lifting the ball?

Chats: 36

My brother and daughter are both lefties and only my daughter throws a hook. She throws a hook because her daddy does it and she thinks it looks cool. Since my daughter throws lefty I no longer consider all lefties to be devil-spawn like I used to ....

Jay
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.

Cranker
    Chats: 7

A left handed bowler has just as much natural hook as a right handed bowler,either way lefties still have to work on their game just like us righties.

@Billf-Their are more left handed strokers beacuse they have in my opinion more oil,so they don't need to have a lot of revs.

I agree with 75lockwood in that regular leagues lefties have the advantage. While we righties struggle to find oil or a line,lefties can play their line all night long unless their are multiple lefties on the lanes. Now in the Sport league lefties struggle just as much if not more then righties. I see it all the time! Their either to far out,to far in or their line is perfect. I would rather go up against a lefty in a sport league,then in a regular league any day of the week.

Zothen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast