Thread: Are "light oil" balls necessary?

Banned
    Chats: 100

Default Are "light oil" balls necessary?

Say you have a medium oil ball with like a Storm R2S cover. It's a pearl. Does anyone ever need a light oil ball or can they just up speed/drop revs?

Chats: 23

i usually switch to a weaker ball when ball starts to dry, but now i want to switch my balls to a med oil ball so i can use it on all three games

Cranker
    Chats: 7

Light oil balls serve a function! A medium oil ball may be to much for light oil lanes. It depends how their drilled,coverstock(OOB or adjusted). Rule of thumb I was told was 6 balls(2 Heavy oil,1 Medium Heavy-Medium oil,1 Light oil,1 Dry lane(Urethane) and spare ball) that is if your a serious bowler. A recreational bowler who doesn't do tournaments can get away with a good Medium-Light oil ball and a spare ball as most THS(Typical House Shot) are light-medium oil.

Zothen

Chats: 891

it is good to have light oil balls for say your in a turnny with lots of games the lanes will dry out and lots of peopleare going to be playing all over the lane soo you wont have a consistent line cause the ball will slid or hook early but if you have a light oil ball then you will beable to play in the areas that are dryer and do much better then the other guys that are playing in the oil.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Depends on the bowler. How well can they adjust axis tilt, rotation, speed, revs and read when to perform these changes. It's easier to just find a line and all the other stuff listed that you're comfortable with that day and ball down as needed. That's the decision every league, tournament and pro bowler must make for themselves. Obviously most, if not all, serious tournament and pro bowlers bring several balls with them. If you want to ensure maximum score for each game then you make sure you have all the equipment you may, or may not need, at your disposal. It would just be ignorant to lose from arrogance or being too cheap. If only open bowling then one ball will do.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Ringer
    Chats: 24

It all comes down to what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to be a serious league bowler, or a tourney bowler, or making a run for the PBA? If you are seriously trying to achieve the best you can why would you handicap yourself by not having a light oil ball? You don't see a person try and shoot a round of golf with a putter do ya?