Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joined and bowled in my first Amateur Bowlers Tour tournament this past weekend

Default Joined and bowled in my first Amateur Bowlers Tour tournament this past weekend

Decided to 'join the tour' haha and bowled in my first non no-tap tournament this past weekend since bowling a YABA coca-cola tournament probably 17 years ago. Got my butt kicked.

With my current avg and last years, the director calculated a 210 avg for me with 10 pins hdcp. The way they keep score is 200 = 0 so if I bowl a 150 plus 10 for hdcp my score would be -40. After every game you add or subtract pins based on what you bowled over/under a 200 score.

They had the pattern out to practice on and I rolled a 206 and was feeling good, my 2nd practice game I went for the 7 pin then would roll a pocket shot so score wasn't important in my 2nd game but again, was feeling good.

Then my squad started. I wasn't trusting my release and kept trying to guide the ball to the pocket which resulted in me pulling a lot of shots. Spares could've been way better too.

165, 175, 145 for a score of -85.

I decided not to bowl a Sunday squad and am kind of regretting not bowling, this stuff is tough but the more comfortable I become I will then see my scores rise hopefully.

Chris

Ringer
    Chats: 24

Did you have fun at least?

For the first few tournaments (unless you get on a hot streak) I would chalk them up to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Davec13 View Post
    Did you have fun at least?

For the first few tournaments (unless you get on a hot streak) I would chalk them up to experience.
    I was bowling so I had fun. There were only a total of four people per pair so the pace was fast but the other three guys were all good sports. I definitely will chalk it up to experience and want to bowl in more, but they can be expensive every weekend. These are something I think I could win at some point but want to sound confident, not cocky.

With this first tournament I would have settled to make the cut but that was +36. -85 wasn't doing it!
    It came down to mechanics and thats where I failed. Balance and free arm swing would've helped me score better but my mind wasn't clear. First time jitters for sure.

Ringer
    Chats: 24

You have seen it posted here many times, consistency is the key to this sport. It doesn't matter if you bowl 20mph or 5mph have 600revs or 50revs all that matters is you need to hit your mark consistently and good things will happen.

I know what you mean about costs adding up too. That's why you need to look for tournaments that are more suited to you. If you are just starting in tourneys try and find some handicap tournaments that will at least keep you competitive.

Chats: 25

I'd love to try my hand at some of these but I know if I did it now I'd just be donating money to the winner. It's a goal of mine though to someday get good enough to enter tournaments and win some money so that my little bowling habit can become financially self-sustaining (would that be semi-pro, lol?).

As a general rule, when should a player consider entering tournaments? Should I target a certain average, have X number of leagues under my belt or just go for it once I feel confident enough? Curious what others think on that.

Chats: 891

its fun to bowl in turrnys you learn alot of thing and it helps in the future if you get into anymore but me i love bowling in turnnys as long as it is for money then i will bowl 200s easy idk why but it seems like when i got pressure on me i bowl better then anything.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Keep doing tournaments. With a 210 average you won't be getting much handicap in any of them. You don't have to do one each weekend. Go every 4-6 weeks. They will definitely help you improve. The first few a rough. Not just score wise but humbling as well. Even at -85 you succeeded. You at least tried and that's more than some are willing to risk. I'm not talking about anybody here. I know 220-240 average bowlers who won't do tournaments due to the differing patterns. Like there life revolves around their bowling average.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Keep doing tournaments. With a 210 average you won't be getting much handicap in any of them. You don't have to do one each weekend. Go every 4-6 weeks. They will definitely help you improve. The first few a rough. Not just score wise but humbling as well. Even at -85 you succeeded. You at least tried and that's more than some are willing to risk. I'm not talking about anybody here. I know 220-240 average bowlers who won't do tournaments due to the differing patterns. Like there life revolves around their bowling average.
    Thank you Bill, I'm going to be working on my mental game and plan to roll more tournaments since my membership in ABT is good until 11/30/2013. Ego schmego, I just want to be the best bowler I can be.

Chats: 25

How much was it to join? I'd like to do this too starting early next year. I gotta do something, I'm spending way too much money on bowling. I might as well start doing leagues and tourney's so that I can hopefully win some of it back.

Chats: 723

Quote Originally Posted by AZBowla View Post
    How much was it to join? I'd like to do this too starting early next year. I gotta do something, I'm spending way too much money on bowling. I might as well start doing leagues and tourney's so that I can hopefully win some of it back.
    Just an FYI, unless you get lucky the first few tournaments will end up increasing your bowling expenses lol
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast