Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joined and bowled in my first Amateur Bowlers Tour tournament this past weekend

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

AZBOWLA one way to make money open bowling....purposely wait until the teens are there with their 20something friends. Purposely bowl the wrong line, target practice. Let them see you suck. Then when they start talking trash offer to compete for three games at a $1 a pin.
    It works well until everybody gets to know who you are although I did have one guy set his friend up. He did it just to be able to rub it in to his buddy for a few days. I didn't care, I won $140 lol
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 723

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    AZBOWLA one way to make money open bowling....purposely wait until the teens are there with their 20something friends. Purposely bowl the wrong line, target practice. Let them see you suck. Then when they start talking trash offer to compete for three games at a $1 a pin.
    It works well until everybody gets to know who you are although I did have one guy set his friend up. He did it just to be able to rub it in to his buddy for a few days. I didn't care, I won $140 lol
    Bill your just plain mean! but this does sound like fun...
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Chats: 25

Ha ha, no thanks Bill, I've seen Kingpin enough times to know what a bad idea that is, LOL! I don't want to be the next Roy Munson.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBowla View Post
    How much was it to join? I'd like to do this too starting early next year. I gotta do something, I'm spending way too much money on bowling. I might as well start doing leagues and tourney's so that I can hopefully win some of it back.
    $30 a year to join the ABT but they have a guest member ship that lets you bowl until you cash then dues are deducted from your winnings.

Tournament was $55 walk on or $50 pay in advance and I think they vary but not by much. They waived my $5 walkup fee since I just joined.

Chris

Cool, thanks for the info! I think I'm gonna sign up next weekend and try my hand at a tournament that's coming up in my area on Dec. 1st and 2nd. That gives me this month to practice some and get my release and arm swing under control.

Good luck and also work on accuracy, you go in blind to what pattern is down. A beer and a shot helped after the slaughter

Quote Originally Posted by 75lockwood View Post
    Just an FYI, unless you get lucky the first few tournaments will end up increasing your bowling expenses lol
    Quiet, you... my GF reads this board, lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by slowfaller View Post
    Good luck and also work on accuracy, you go in blind to what pattern is down. A beer and a shot helped after the slaughter
    I think I might try downing a Margarita before I begin, since my GF does the driving. That way when I lose I'll be happier about it, LOL!

There's one happening this weekend too, but I'm no where near ready and it's the week before payday so I'm broke. So we're just gonna go watch that one to see what it'll be like. Even though I'm sure I'm going to get my butt kicked in December, I'm still excited about it. Should be fun! If nothing else, maybe I'll convert a few more deviants with my shiny red and yellow ball.

So I went down and checked out this ABT thing... pretty darned sweet! I stuck around and watched one of the qualifying rounds and talked with the director for a bit, and I think this is really something I'll enjoy doing! Doing them every weekend would be too expensive (unless I win a few - fat chance watching the competition today) but once a month won't break the bank and will give me some valuable experience. If I do happen to get lucky enough to win, I'll upgrade to a Gold membership which out here gets you a storm bowling ball for free plus a bunch of other cool stuff, so it's completely worth it (but don't worry fellow deviants, I will still be rolling DV8's down those lanes most of the time). Thanks slowfaller for the heads up on the ABT!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

You could always trade the free air freshener for a real ball at the pro shop. Most shops are open to the idea as long as the cost for each is about the same (their cost) and the freshener is one people want.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 723

Quote Originally Posted by AZBowla View Post
    Quiet, you... my GF reads this board, lol!!
    haven't you learned yet? since she joined i have made it a goal to mess with you. Mwhahaha LOL

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    You could always trade the free air freshener for a real ball at the pro shop. Most shops are open to the idea as long as the cost for each is about the same (their cost) and the freshener is one people want.
    Geeze bill, your getting more outright everyday about the hatred of storm lol
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast