Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joined and bowled in my first Amateur Bowlers Tour tournament this past weekend

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Umm, actually I've toned it down quite a bit. At one time I offered a reward for every Storm ball destroyed. I even wrote them a real letter saying how sad it was and it was customer service of this poor nature that was allowing foreign companies to dictate trade overseas and proud Americans such as myself to have to spend their hard earned dollars with a company that makes their stuff overseas. But at least that other company will answer e-mails. Funny but Storm never answered that letter either.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Ringer
    Chats: 24

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Umm, actually I've toned it down quite a bit. At one time I offered a reward for every Storm ball destroyed. I even wrote them a real letter saying how sad it was and it was customer service of this poor nature that was allowing foreign companies to dictate trade overseas and proud Americans such as myself to have to spend their hard earned dollars with a company that makes their stuff overseas. But at least that other company will answer e-mails. Funny but Storm never answered that letter either.
    They must have been to busy coming up with the smurfberry scented ball to answer you.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBowla View Post
    Thanks slowfaller for the heads up on the ABT!
    You're welcome, knock 'em dead

Chats: 0

Angry You need a Headhunter attitude

Quote Originally Posted by AZBowla View Post
    So I went down and checked out this ABT thing... pretty darned sweet! I stuck around and watched one of the qualifying rounds and talked with the director for a bit, and I think this is really something I'll enjoy doing! Doing them every weekend would be too expensive (unless I win a few - fat chance watching the competition today) but once a month won't break the bank and will give me some valuable experience. If I do happen to get lucky enough to win, I'll upgrade to a Gold membership which out here gets you a storm bowling ball for free plus a bunch of other cool stuff, so it's completely worth it (but don't worry fellow deviants, I will still be rolling DV8's down those lanes most of the time). Thanks slowfaller for the heads up on the ABT!
    AZ.......You need to just go ahead and jump in and shake the uncertainness you have. Having bowled in hundreds and hundreds of tournaments, I came to the realization that if you can't go in with a positive attitude that you can win/cash, then stay home and watch some TV. You'll save some money on the entry fee and aspirin for the headache you'll have afterwards. Always have a positive attitude thing you are the best in the house when you start bowling these tournaments and you've come to kick a** and take names. Then just get inside your own game and don't worry about what other guy's are shooting around you. Shoot your own game not theirs.

Tournaments are fun, you get to meet a lot of interesting people, but when you step up on that approach, you need to take a headhunter attitude.
    Good luck, I'd love to know how your first one goes.

Bob

Did an ABT practice squad this past Saturday.
    Pay $20 and roll two games, if you make the cut you win entry into the main squad (to have to make the cut again)
    For two games I rolled a lousy 344 plus 20 pins (10 each game)
    The pattern was long and played like shark and I had a difficult time staying that close to the head pin without pulling it just a bit to go through the nose or cross over. Carry was miserable for me and the other three on my pair. Finally found a line/release combo with good results in the 10th frame of the last game.

Oh well, it was a nice way to spend a late morning and I knew the guys I bowled with so we all had fun. After the tournament I was close to a favorite Chicago hotdog/italian beef joint so I stopped in for lunch, made the pain go away ha.

Chris

I bowl that couple times a year. I will bowl it more this coming fall.

I read all these posts and it feels nice to see that im not the only one with some cold feet when it comes to tournaments. Im glad to say that I will be in my first state tournament this weekend! (Michigan). A little nervous, but at the same time excited to see if I can hang with the big boys in the state. I've been shooting 680's the past month so that feels good going into this thing.

My scores from this past tournament were... Doubles 624... Singles 644... and team 550. Those sunday lane conditions were tough. It took me a little over a game to be able to hone into my "spot". Had fun and feel I learned some things but for sure feel better about getting in more tournaments down the road!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123