Thread: My new ball will be one of these two urethanes......

Chats: 0

Default My new ball will be one of these two urethanes......

It will either be the Columbia 300 U2 Classic or the Hammer Blue Hammer ball. It will be only 14lbs because of my advanced age-66 soon- and some issues with hips and knees. I need something that can get down the lane better with a 13.5 to 14.5 ball speed. So I will see how this works out for me.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

In BTM the ratings are pretty close, The U2 is slightly stronger than the Hammer and is rated all 9.0's on the dry. Where the Hammer has only a 8, 8.5, 9 for the dry. If I had to pick, I would lean to the U2. But It's almost a coin toss.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I had to come to terms with the fact that I just don't have the speed for a reactive resin ball on dry lanes like on our league nights. I had a 16# blue Hammer at one time when they first came out a while ago. Believe it or not I use to play that ball over the first arrow along the gutter. My team mates asked me how I can do that? They said they would be throwing it in the gutter. It was good for picking up spares also. It had a very nice hook to the pocket and when I hit the pocket just right for a strike the pins would fly like I had hit them with a handgrenade. Old age has a way of slowing things down for you. So back to a urethane and a lighter 14lb weight to work with my slower ball speed. I think a ball like this will be good for someone starting out or someone that has a slow ball speed like me. So the ball will either be the Blue Hammer or the Columbia U2 Classic which are both urethanes.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Whichever you choose I wish you the best of luck. I love urethane balls and wish more people would give them a chance. Given the reasons you stated I believe you are making the right decision.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

My pro shop just called and they were able to get the Blue Hammer for me. So somewhere around 3PM tomorrow I will get it fitted and drilled. I will have to throw a few practice games with it to see where I have to position myself for a good shot. Using a urethane again should be interesting.