Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick Question!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Ben, if you accept monetary funds other than a scholarship, then you are no longer considered an amateur by the NCAA. They had to as some college players took a pay cut turning pro! Eric Dickerson was a first round draft pick by the Rams in the NFL and had to take a pay cut from what the boosters were paying him. Google SMU (Southern Methodist University) scandal from the 80's. The NCAA never set a limit so any amount disqualifies you.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 723

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Ben, if you accept monetary funds other than a scholarship, then you are no longer considered an amateur by the NCAA. They had to as some college players took a pay cut turning pro! Eric Dickerson was a first round draft pick by the Rams in the NFL and had to take a pay cut from what the boosters were paying him. Google SMU (Southern Methodist University) scandal from the 80's. The NCAA never set a limit so any amount disqualifies you.
    I understand the reasoning for this, but what if someone simply wanted to join a fun league that happens to give out low value prices at the end of the year for things like most improved, high series, etc just to spend the extra money brought it by league fees, i don't understand why this would disqualify you.
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 136

Yeah Lockwood, this sucks...
    I was really looking forward to joining an adult league this year,
    looks like it won't be possible.
    :/
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    18 Years Old
    Average : 170
    In bag:-DV8 Reckless, Jet Altitude
    At Home-Hammer Blue Hammer Bowling Ball , Pyramid Path Bowling Ball
    High game-278 1 strike off from a 300
    High series-624 - Shot at tournament 2/22/14

Bowling Style : 2 Fingers
    Favorite Bowler : Mike Miller

Chats: 506

SMU players where balling they got mad money i watched the espn movie on it

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by martinezsam2495 View Post
    Yeah Lockwood, this sucks...
    I was really looking forward to joining an adult league this year,
    looks like it won't be possible.
    :/
    We have a bunch of Junior bowlers who are bowling in our sport league this year. I assume anything they win will be deposited in scholarship accounts. I don't know if that violates the NCAA, but it does maintain their eligibility to bowl in youth leagues and tournaments.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    We have a bunch of Junior bowlers who are bowling in our sport league this year. I assume anything they win will be deposited in scholarship accounts. I don't know if that violates the NCAA, but it does maintain their eligibility to bowl in youth leagues and tournaments.
    i wouldn't care about prize money, if i won it i would either not accept or put towards school.

but what about leagues that give prizes and what not? you can't exactly put a toaster in a college fund lol

Chats: 25

Honestly I don't think anyone in the NCAA is going to suddenly find out you bowled in Bob's Bowling Lanes Lousy Bowler's Club or whatever league and got a free Budweiser bowling ball at the end of it and kick you out of school, I mean how the heck would they even know about it unless you say something? Once you actually start bowling for the college then it matters but until then you're just some kid going bowling as far as they know. I don't see how this matters all that much, so long as you just keep it on the down low. It's not like the bowling team gets all the money and press coverage anyway, it's the football and basketball teams that get the most scrutiny because everyone's watching. I bet most people don't even know that colleges have bowling teams.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBowla View Post
    Honestly I don't think anyone in the NCAA is going to suddenly find out you bowled in Bob's Bowling Lanes Lousy Bowler's Club or whatever league and got a free Budweiser bowling ball at the end of it and kick you out of school, I mean how the heck would they even know about it unless you say something? Once you actually start bowling for the college then it matters but until then you're just some kid going bowling as far as they know. I don't see how this matters all that much, so long as you just keep it on the down low. It's not like the bowling team gets all the money and press coverage anyway, it's the football and basketball teams that get the most scrutiny because everyone's watching. I bet most people don't even know that colleges have bowling teams.
    being in canada, before i started researching bowling and what not i didn't know high school's had bowling teams either!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by AZBowla View Post
    A good bowling coach would check these things during the recruiting process. Nothing sucks worse than losing any team wins when a player is later disqualified. And yes, it's happened in college bowling already. As far as low value items I'm not sure. I e-mailed a couple of college coaches I know last night to see what they say.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 0

I know in the past Bill is correct. I'm not aware of any new changes, but if you have aspirations of going to college, i.e., a bowling college that may have scholarships, I would be very careful. Remember all averages are recorded by your local association in a yearbook and if someone wants to find out they can.

The other thing to remember is that it's always better to be a big fish in a small pond rather than a little fish in a big pond. When I was a Junior bowler, the last day I bowled in the junior leagues, that afternoon, I shot in a New England Bowlers Association Tournament (NEBA). Had to have written permission from my parents, and was not allowed to go back to Juniors after that. I was ok with it, but I never had aspirations to go to college and there weren't any colleges with bowling programs/teams as there is now. By the way, I was 16, and the youngest member to ever join NEBA.

With the SMART program there may be some exclusions for younger bowlers to bowl in adult leagues, but as I said, I would be very careful and check with the local USBC association first before joining. If you joined an adult league first you may find yourself locked out of going back to the Juniors.

Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast