Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much drilling ignorance is bliss?

Banned
    Chats: 100

Default How much drilling ignorance is bliss?

If you had no idea about ball drillings and just told your driller "hey I like this ball please drill it for me", would you just adjust to the reaction and not know any different?

This guy makes a good point to me

Last edited by bowl1820; 11-08-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Here take a look at this thread
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...vel-tonight-D?

Quote Originally Posted by Ball99999 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Bowling Tip of the Week - A Fireside Chat about Drilling

I like that video.. I thought it was going to criticize pro shops for not doing layouts but it basically emphasized it won't matter for me.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Banned
    Chats: 100

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    That was my own thread lol.. where the video came from.

Chats: 25

This is exactly what I did when I had my new ball drilled. The pro shop operator couldn't watch me bowl because there were leagues in progress when I went and the lanes were all full, but he just told me "this ball is designed to have a long skid and a pretty good hook in the backend, is that what you're looking for?" I said yes, and he drilled it to match.

The difference was pretty significant compared to what I was used to but I just adjusted my game accordingly and now I'm getting pretty good with it. I just need to get more comfortable and confident with my release due to the thumb sticking when I do it wrong, but other than that he did a great job. I'll definitely be back as my arsenal (and my lovely girlfriend's arsenal) grows. And it will grow, I'm going to be starting leagues soon and depending on how well I do, I might add a DV8 Nightmare to the collection just because that is an awesome ball and a misfit for when lanes break down towards the end of the night. Plus we're both looking at new shoes and other accessories, and lugging around two balls in a shoulder-tote is getting old quick so we'll be looking at rollers and ..... oh man there goes the kid's college fund...

Ringer
    Chats: 23

Richard Shockley needs a much shorter domain name! Golly Folks! I do enjoy a good southern accent during a rant like this.

Smart guy and I like his approach. He does have a very valid point that anyone under 200 average needs work on everything other than how their ball is drilled.
    One guy on my team asked me last week what arrow I throw at and I said "I aim at the 2nd arrow, obviously i missed that last shot"(threw it outside the arrow a good 4 boards or so) . Then i proceeded to walk up and throw right over the 2nd arrow and bam strike! He knew at that point I had hit my mark. I definitely know I am in that 5 board range and that I can see the difference of hitting my mark and not hitting mine.
    When I get my ball drilled this time I am not too worry about layout, I just care about the fit. If I have to move my target and where I stand I would rather do that than worry if it was drilled correct for layout.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

At one point in time I would not have known any different and tried to adjust. That was before I was doing tournaments. At one point I said, "why can't I make my ball do that?" The guy heard me, let me roll his ball and whammo, turns out I could do it but my equipment couldn't. The average he uses, 200, is a reasonable one but having a ball that suits your style and lane conditions will get you there faster.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Ringer
    Chats: 23

After reading your comment Bill I think there is a balance between the 2. Obviously the bowler needs to be more effective on hitting his marks, but he also needs to put his style in it. Me being more of a "down and in" guy I would always look to get my ball drilled pin around my ring finger to promote a little extra length and more backend, but that is how I always have had it. I guess I should maybe wonder what changing my layout might do for my ball motion. If I went to a different layout how much would it effect my ball motion being mainly a down and in guy. I do move left and use some extra hook at times, but that is normally after I get frustrated for half a game trying to figure out why I miss the pocket.

Chats: 36

Dude makes all kinds of sense here....bowling common sense.

Jay
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.

Cranker
    Chats: 7

WOW I guess all my balls are drilled wrong since i'm a 176 avg bowler on THS. So the question is-If my ball speed is 15-16mph(17-18mph add 2 for speed gun)rev rate of about 250,down & in player(stand 18-22 board and throw 7-10 board)what is my conventional drilling? Here are my balls-neXus solid,Defiant,beserk,Bullwhip SE,Shout,508A.

I thought it was the pro shop guy's duty to ask what the ball is going to be used for,what reaction you looking for and then drillng the ball for the lane condition it will be used on the most.

When I get a ball I ask the pro shop what balls he suggests,then I go home and research and I might ask you all your opinions,then when I make my choice,i'll go the my pro guy and he'll ask how I want it drilled. He will drill it based off of what I want the ball to do and the type of condition it will be primarily used for. I am pleased with the way my balls have been drilled! the only thing i've had to do is adjust coverstock for more or less hook.

Zothen

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I think you missed the point that he was trying to make. That the 170 average bowler at their skill level, shouldn't be having to worry about layouts yet.

That the pro shop should Just set them up with a basic layout, something that will work for most situations and not going to get them in trouble. That will allow them to go out there bowl and not have the ball cause them any problems until they build up their skill level.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 11-09-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast